PDA

View Full Version : Sound dampening ? for motovet or others

Mark Heiken
10-19-2003, 15:12
motovet,

In a post long ago you talked about Fattmatt and E-dead. After several searches I cannot find either in the net. Where would I find info and a place to order one of these products.

I like the way you lined your rig. How much difference did this make on interior noise?

Thanks in advance for any help.

motovet
10-19-2003, 21:43
www.fatmat.com (http://www.fatmat.com) will get you there. This is what I used, but have heard that E-dead, Second Skin, and Brown bread are also good. Also know that the very same material is available at Home Depot in 12'x6" rolls in the roofing section (same price). I used some of this gutter tape stuff for some of the smaller areas.You will still want at least 100 sq. ft. of the fatmat for the large areas. The results are well worth it in my opinion. The system sounded alot better and road noise was greatly reduced. I can no longer hear the hiss from the tires when it rains,and the Banks is not as loud.I also sprayed some of the firewall from the engine side as coverage from the inside is limited, and sprayed the undersides and wheelwells.Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any more questions.

BassinRVer
10-20-2003, 10:58
Remember that all the off brand mats will make your truck stink for a month. Just Ask Motovet. If you do not want to live with the smell of tar in your truck for a month get Dynamat.

BlueOx03
10-20-2003, 11:23
I'm sure BassinRVer meens Dynamat Xtreme and not dynamat original. the original stuff makes your rig smell like someone's paving in it anytime it gets warm inside, ie: anytime the sun shines in it. Like BassinRVer said, watch out for off brands. I used to use nothing but Dynamat Xtreme, it's good stuff. I now use Cascade Audio Engineering (http://www.cascadeaudio.com/index.html) V-Blok. I'm pretty picky about what I use and this is it, I've used almost eveything they make on about 30 different installs with outstanding results and vno problems. FWIW CAE V-Blok is OEM in the new Shelby GT500E.

Ox

Mark Heiken
10-20-2003, 16:07
Thanks guys!! Very helpfull. I hadn't thought about the smell. The only thing I've used Dynamat on was farm equipment years ago. Alot more heat there but you could smell it for a while.

motovet
10-20-2003, 17:23
Yeah it will smell for a while, but after a few weeks you will not smell it anymore. I have had the truck in 90+* heat since with no odor. I used over 200 sq. ft. on my truck and for me the choice was easy,$1250+ for the Dynomat Extreme or $225 for the Fatmat. I can't give an opinion on other brands as this is the only stuff I have used, but it worked for me. For even more opinions try some searches on the car audio forums, that's what led me to the Fatmat.

Heartbeat Hauler
10-23-2003, 12:33
motovet,
So what exactly did you do to install this Fatmat?
Is it just pull up the carpet and tack this stuff down or what? I checked the web site but I didn't find install instructions. Little help please.
Thanks,
JP

motovet
10-23-2003, 15:14
JP, The stuff is very sticky. Just cut the piece to size, peel off the backing, place it where you want it, stick it on, and work it in with whatever works. I used the back side of the razor knife and screw driver handles. Once you get going it gets pretty easy to work with. Some of the tight areas in the door panels are the most challenging.

Heartbeat Hauler
10-23-2003, 15:34
I see, but how tough was it to get the carpet up? Ilooked at all the stuff that's gotta come up to get to the floor pan....Yikes! Also, did you do the metal behind the back seat? And, did you have any problems with the center consol fitting after adding the mat?
JP

motovet
10-23-2003, 21:22
Take a look at my pics, they show most of the install. I ended up with two layers on everything but the roof. Some of the firewall area is also not covered as the dash would be quite a job. First I did all the doors,pillars,and then behind the rear seat. Then to finish up the floor pan I did the following:
1.Removed all the door sills and kick panels.
2.Removed all the rear seat nuts folded, tilted,and moved the seat as far forward as possible.
3.I then pulled the carpet up under the seat to the front seats and covered the rear pan.
4.Moved the rear seat as far back as possible (folded and tilted) and covered the area behind the front seats.
5.Lay the carpet back down and bolt down the rear seat.
6. Removed the front seats and entire consol.
7. Pulled the carpet up from the front to the rear seat. You will have to pull through the heat ducts.
8. Cover all the front pan and everything you can reach up to the dash.
9. Put the carpet back down and reinstall consol,seats,and sills.
Everything went back together with no problems except for a few broken clips,(they are cheap) that I replaced
When doing the rear deck, pillars, panels,etc, you will need to make a mental note where the clip holes are so they can be cut away. You will get a good outline on these holes when the material is worked into the metal. Also the stuff is much easier to work when it is warm. I had the garage heated to 75*. :cool:

[ 10-23-2003, 09:35 PM: Message edited by: motovet ]

Heartbeat Hauler
10-24-2003, 09:42
Thanks MOTOVET. I didn't notice the pics in your sig, glad you pointed that out. A picture is worth a thousand words, AND a quiet truck will save me hearing at least a thousand words ;)
thanks again,
JP