PDA

View Full Version : Dually Rear Mudflaps...another option

mdrag
01-04-2003, 20:55
I originally installed the DTA Corp mudflaps, but after the 19.5" wheel/tire conversion, I was not pleased since the larger tires extended out past the flaps. Since DTA went out of business it was necessary to look elsewhere.

A recent topic on mudflaps had a link to Stage 1's dually with GMC Accessory molded front and rear flaps on his '03:

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=5&t=000649&p=

Stage1's pics:

www.picturetrail.com/stage1

At 20" wide, I did not think they would be wide enough, so back to the drawing board. I decided to buy 24" x 24" heavy truck flaps and modify the flaps and the DTA mounting bracket - if possible. I also added flaps to the front of the dually wheel opening, since a considerable amount of dirt/mud/snow gets thrown onto the running boards.

This will work without the DTA mounting brackets - and after installing the flaps on the front of the dually wheel opening, it would probably be easier to do WITHOUT the bracket. The brackets allow the flaps to be adjusted slightly UP/DOWN/IN/OUT and it is easier to correct the way the flaps hang...

Once I figured out how to make the flaps fit the different heights of the fender opening and inner fender - it was easy going. With the front and rear flaps in place on the dually wheel openings, the entire fender well is well enclosed :D

IIRC, the Safe-Pass 175 24" x 24" smooth flaps (front of wheel opening) were approx $11 pair, and the Safe-Pass 375 24" x 24" grooved flaps (rear of wheel opening) were about $16 pair - don't hold me to those prices since the prices were not printed on the shipping invoice and the on-line store is currently unavailable during inventory.

Click either link in my sig and choose the CUSTOM MUDFLAPS album - it is the last album in the listing. I've added narrative descriptions on the first three pics, if they are difficult to read, DON"T choose the slideshow option - just click on the pic and then choose VIEW FULL SIZE.

ON EDIT: links corrected

[ 01-04-2003: Message edited by: mdrag ]</p>

TxDoc
01-04-2003, 22:03
Looks great, MDRAG! Another fine result where one didn't exist before.

mdrag
01-07-2003, 23:38
TxDoc,

Thanks for the compliments. The flaps got a thorough testing during our holiday trip east, with 12" or more snow in Cleveland during the holidays.

mdrag