PDA

View Full Version : Heated Outside Mirrows

ram/tx
01-04-2003, 18:11
Can someone tell me if the wiring for heated mirrows is already instilled on the HD, if the truck came without the heated mirrows. Wife wants to buy me some heated mirrows and the dealer told her that the heated mirrows wouldn't work on my truck, because the wires for the heating elements weren't on my truck. How hard is it to run wires if this is true. Thanks for any help.

TLA
01-04-2003, 18:19
Do you have heated rear glass? If so, then the necessary switch is already there (mirrors work with rear glass). Do you have electric mirrors on your truck? If so, that wiring is there already. If not, run a search for Shark Fin on this site(that triangular piece inside of where the mirror bolts to door). It should tell you how to remove it (I think it just pulls off). The wiring and plug will be behind the foam, if it is installed. If wiring is not there, it should be possilble to run the wiring. I think that Powervision has a wiring kit for their mirrors, I don't know about Lucerix
Hopefully this makes sense.
Tom

ram/tx
01-04-2003, 18:59
TLA---No I don't have the heated rear glass or the button on the dash to turn it on. I thought I read somewhere on here that all the trucks came with the same wireing and if your truck didn't have the rear glass heating and heated mirrows they just pluged the wires off. I probably am wrong, get like that in our older age. I did a search on the heated mirrows and couldn't find anything. OH well doesn't get that cold here in Texas that much. Thanks for the reply.
Ron

bryantch
01-04-2003, 21:52
i know that the wiring is there even if you dont have the heated mirror option...i think what needs to be added/replaced is the heater control panel. it houses the additional switch needed for the heated mirror option. I dont know if you can bypass this easily. try a junk yard for this part. i ordered the heated powervisions even though i was in the same boat as you (no heat option from factory). just never got around to locating the correct panel...hope this helps.

cowboywildbill
01-04-2003, 22:02
If you want to heat the mirrors and your truck is wired at the doors(triangle pop off piece)then here is one way to do it. You can replace the heat/fan switch/vent console, that is in the midle of your dash. This is the console that has the three rotary knobs and on the bottom there are three little push button switches, one is an A/C switch and next is inside/outside air push button same size button. On the trucks with rear window defogger there is another little push button also on the buttom of the console on the right side. I added power heated mirrors to my truck, and all of my wiring was there. I have an LTS loaded with options.I had to buy the tilt and pan switch that goes in the door arm rest, and I bought the Heat contol console mentioned above. It just plugged in and now I have factory mirror heat(it is timed).I cut out my arm rest to accept the tilt and pan control switch, but I had a wood dash kit that had the blank spot open for the fatory switch, so I knew where to cut. If don't have that or know where to cut, I would also buy the arm rest with the holes already cut out for all of the controls( window / door locks / mirror ect.)and remount the switches in it. As for the triangle piece on the doors, they just pop off. You may gently pry on them untill they pop. The arm rest is the same way, if I can recall, check for a couple of screws on the arm rest just in case. But I don't remember taking any out to remove it. The heater console is removed by first popping off the trim ring that goes around the speedometer and around the radio. It is a one piece rectangular ring, that is on the top edge of the dash and all the way down under the controls. After this is remove there are four screws or little bolts that hold the heat control console in place. Just remove them and unplug the plug/ plugs on the back of it and replug the new one in.And resnap the trim ring back on. The mirror control button cost me $35.00/ the heat control console cost about $120.00 these were bought at a GM dealer.Hope this helps. PS the dealers told me that my truck probably wouldn't have the wires to work either, but everything did work. Good Luck

DmaxMaverick
01-05-2003, 06:23
ram/tx

The wiring is there on the 01's. I added heated mirrors to mine without the rear glass defog. Just replace the mirrors and hook up the connector, they are the same. You will need to get an HVAC head with the rear defog button. The part # is 15054698. Got mine at gmpartsdirect.com . Half the price of the dealer, shipped. Piece of cake. Works great and the whole job took less than 20 minutes. If you have to add the power mirror controls, follow Cowboy's instructions.

If I have to replace the rear glass, I will add the defog. The wires are there as well. Cheers.

ram/tx
01-05-2003, 08:07
Thanks Men for the great information. I do have the power mirrow button in the arm rest already so it looks like all I need to get is the HVAC controls and replace them for the heat function and find the wires behind the shark fin. Hope the wife is not out of the mood of buying the mirrows. :D :D

FirstDiesel
01-05-2003, 09:15
There is just a single plug in the door behind the shrkfin. When you plug in a mirror with a heater the wires are already in the plug for you. You'll just need to add the control switch on the dash.

Kennedy
01-05-2003, 09:47
If you have remote, unheated glass now, your mirrors will be plugged in with the only harness that you need. I've never done this swap in myself, but have heard of many doing it.

cowboywildbill
01-05-2003, 19:02
Glad we could help. Let us know how it goes and if everything works OK. "Wild Bill" or at least I used to be "Wild".