PDA

View Full Version : Question on rear view mirror w/comp. and temp. display

GMC D-Max
02-24-2003, 09:06
I've got the electro-chromatic mirror with integral compass and ambient temp. display (which I'm sure most of you do), and I think I fried it this weekend. I've been working on installing a stereo in my truck, and I've mounted the amps in the headliner. When I tried to remove the headliner, I found that the wiring harness for everything in or near the roof (mirror, dome light, CHMSL & cargo lights), was glued to the back of it. Since I was running short on time, rather than dismantle half of the dash to find the harness plugs, I cut the harness about mid-way up the A-pillar. Key was off (presumably no power to the mirror) and I cut each wire one by one. When I spliced everything back together, everything (including the compass) works but the temp. I'm getting an "SC" code, which I found in the Helms manual, and did all the diagnostic procedures. Has anybody had their mirror display this, and what was the dealer fix for this? The wiring is sound, and I'm sure I didn't cross any wires. I'm concerned about the "low reference" wire coming from the mirror (blk/wht stripe). Is this wire extremely sensitive to resistance? I don't use crimp connectors when splicing wires. I always solder and heatshrink all splices, after fashioning interlocking "hooks" out of the stripped ends of the wire. Is this my mistake?
Sorry this is so long-winded, but I want to cover all my bases before I go back to the dealer!
Any help is GREATLY appreciated!

FisHn2DMax
02-24-2003, 10:09
I don't think you "fried" your mirror unit.

During the cutting of the wires, you set an error code in the computer. To "clear" the computer code and re-intialize the unit, unfortunately you'll need to take it to a dealer.

FWIW, before removing connectors/ splicing wires it's suggested that you pull the positive battery terminals and isolate them. This will prevent codes being sent while connecting and reconnecting wiring.

Good Luck! ;)

GMC D-Max
02-24-2003, 11:24
The code is on the mirror display itself, and the mirror is independent of the PCM. The mirror receives power at key-on, sends a 'low reference' signal to the sensor, which feeds back a signal for temp calculation. According to the Helm manual, the processor is inside the mirror. What I'm wondering is, could my method of splicing the wiring be culprit (as in altering the resistance of the wire)? Or is it simply that I somehow cooked the microprocessor in the mirror, or damaged the sensor?

oyazi
02-25-2003, 01:46
Probably not much help here but could the processor be ESD sensitive? Could static electricity have zapped it when you were working on it?

GMC D-Max
02-25-2003, 08:18
Anything's a possibility, at this point! It has been cold and dry here, around the time I was working on it.

FisHn2DMax
02-25-2003, 10:59
Normally temp probes use connective wiring that has a consistant impedence, i.e. a twisted pair or small coax type cable. The use of this type of impedence consistant wiring is to negate/canel/sheild the external affects of EMI or noise affecting the accuracy. It sounds like you are very versed in soldering and wiring, however, is it possible that the temp "Sense" wire had actually two conductors in or around it (A small center wire with a shielding material around it)? As A minimum, I would have expected the temp sense wire to be twisted pair or micro coax.

Good Luck..?

;)

GMC D-Max
02-25-2003, 11:30
I wish that were the case, but the wire is simply a stranded, (appears to be) 22ga. wire. Wouldn't the wiring schematic, in that instance, have that wire flagged as having a specific resistance?