PDA

View Full Version : Multimeters?

SWLA
01-03-2003, 14:56
Any advise on a good multimeter? I admit that I'm electrically challenged (trying to be PC), but want to be able to use one when I need it. I see a lot of Fluke 88 automotive meters on Ebay, are they worth the money?

Professor
01-03-2003, 15:33
I've used Flukes for years. While I am not familiar with the 88, Fluke is a very reputable company.

letsgo
01-03-2003, 16:02
Get a Beckman. I have used them for years.

I would suggest you not get a meter that is automatic, that is it selects your voltage range for you, reasoning, if there are 2 separate voltages on the same wire, for example 24vDC and a super imposed 1.2vAC on top of the 24vDC the meter will switch back and forth every 10 seconds trying to figure out what to read. You want to be able to select AC or DC and your voltage range.

you also want a diode tester on the meter, learn to use this function and it will be invaluable as a test instrument.

good luck.

NickLeinonen
01-03-2003, 19:37
lets not forget to get one with a fuse on both amp scales. mine is only fused on the 1A scale, and not the 10A scale [but i think it has a breaker in it cause it says you can go up to 20A for 10 seconds]. the ones with the pyrometer [temp sensor] is handy sometimes. mine reads -100

GBurton
01-04-2003, 00:35
Fluke, sure is a funny name for a business however I have used their meters since 1964. Some of them were used while working on things we don't talk about; today I always have one in my work vehicle. Very dependable and accurate instrument, I would recommend any of their meters.

George

DmaxMaverick
01-04-2003, 02:08
Fluke is one of the best for digitals. Simpson is for the dials. I use a Micronta that I bought from Radio Shack over 10 years ago. It still works very well and has held up. They are half the price of the formers. Radio Shack still has a pretty good selection of meters that look OK. I'd suggest checking them out. Cheers

FisHn2DMax
01-04-2003, 03:06
You'll see huge variations in pricing on all types of multimeters. The reason is the number of functions, the range and tolerance/accuracy of the meter. In industrial and medical applications the meters must be calibrated and checked against NBS on a regular basis. These very accurate and calibratable types of meters/DVMs are much more expensive. Fluke, Simpson and other high end Multimeters are typically more money than others for the simple reason they can be calibrated and certified to the NBS and are more resistant to temperature and damage caused by dropping or fast deceleration forces.

For general home or auto use, most if not all basic Digital auto ranging meters in the $25-$65 range from home depot to radio shack will do the job. I agree you should always try to get a multimeter with the diode continuity test feature and at least a 10 amp ( fused) current measurment capability along with the basic DC resistance(ohms)and AC-DC voltages.

If you want a premium Digital multimeter that lasts a lifetime and is highly accurate, get a Fluke 88.

Good Luck
:D

[ 01-04-2003: Message edited by: FisHn2DMax ]</p>

David Utz
01-04-2003, 11:14
First question. - What will you be using the meter for? I have three meters at home. The one that I use the most is a Soar 3020 pocket DMM. It's very small and easy to use and sells for $15 to $20. It does 95% of the things I need a meter for such as checking batteries and fuses. It's not very accurate, but I don't need a $400 meter to check a fuse. At work is a different story. Our meters must be NIST traceable. Which meter we use depends on the accuracy needed for the data we are looking at. Sometimes that's volts, sometimes that's nano-volts. Most of our meters are less than $100 new with basic functions.
So, back to question one. Why spend $$$$$ if all you need is $$.

SWLA
01-04-2003, 16:15
Dave,

I completely agree with you about spending too much for something I don't need. I plan to use it around the house and garage. Nothing real fancy or complicated. I have seen good, used Fluke meters on Ebay for around $100-120. A little more than buying a new Craftsman locally. I was willing to spend a little more for a quality meter that I hope is the last one I ever buy.

SoCalDMAX
01-06-2003, 00:31
SWLA,

I agree with all of the above posts. The only thing I would add is that a Fluke is a little too pricey and high quality to just throw into the bed of the truck or let it bounce around unprotected in a toolbox. I'd use it at home for situations when accuracy is important. Try someplace like Harbor Freight or Big Lots for a cheap $4 meter. I bought 2 @ $3.99 ea. and was amazed at the features and accuracy. If I break it or lose it, I won't get too upset. JMHO.

Regards, Steve

Bass_on_tap
01-06-2003, 13:38
Hi SWLA, I have 2 or 3 Flute multimeters around the house. I know I have a Fluke 75 that I use infrequently. It comes with a rubberized protector that covers the front from damage when not in use and stores on the back when in use. Drop me an email. I'll look around to see what I can find. Dave
bass_ale_1@hotmail.com