PDA

View Full Version : Product review: TTT Towing Mirrors

More Power
10-14-2003, 09:11
TTT
Telescopic Trailer Towing Mirrors
By Jim Bigley

http://www.TheDieselPage.com/reviews/TTTmirror.htm

Product review: Whether trailering through congested city streets or backing into a tight mountain campsite, towing mirrors are essential. For most of us, the best towing mirrors are of the extendable/retractable variety. This is a compromise we make that provides the utility necessary when driving without a trailer and when towing. Recently, Schefenacker entered the market with their telescopic trailer towing mirrors produced expressly for the 1999-current GM Silverado/Sierra pickups and 2000-current full-size SUV's.

mdadgar
10-14-2003, 11:18
Good review. Great mirrors.

My outer mirrors vibrate slightly but the inner ("spotter") mirrors do not.

One thing you forgot to mention is that the TTT mirrors whistle above 30mph or so. You can't hear it with the windows up, but it's kind of annoying with the windows down.

They are AMAZING mirrors when it comes to towing, though.

- Mark

atvpilot
10-14-2003, 23:16
I got them on my truck and I love them. The whistle doesn't bother me any I just turn the stereo up a notch. My mirrors vibrate a tad but not as bad as those crappy slide on mirrors. :D

RVGuy
10-16-2003, 19:54
I had contacted TTT regarding the wind noise. Mine was fairly constant at speeds between 30 - 50 mph. They sent a prototype replacement cover for me to trial. The prototype's design adds a slight protrusion between the two extension arms. The protrusion is only about 1/2 inch or so and curves nicely into the area.

The new design eliminates my wind noise totally. Craig with TTT stated they would be taking the prototype into production very soon. I do not know what their policy will be regarding replacement of covers on customer's mirrors who are experiencing noise.

BigLakeDMAX
10-17-2003, 05:26
RVGuy - that's good news. I've had my TTT's for 6 months now and that's the only thing I don't like about them and it's a minor irritation. Mine whistles - driver's side mostly - starting at 35mph. With the windows up, can't really hear it. I'll have to check with them on getting some replacement covers, though. That'll make great mirrors near perfect!

More Power
10-17-2003, 05:52
Do you guys have any accessories on the front of your truck? Bug visor, bumper, etc.

I've had the TTT mirrors on now for more than a month, and have not heard the whistle (but then, I don't drive with the windows down). None of my passengers have commented on a whistle.

I know that bug visors can cause vortices to form near the A-pillars, increasing mirror shake and wind noise.

More Power

RVGuy
10-17-2003, 07:04
I, for one, have a bug deflector on the front. It would be interesting to know whether only those owners with mods on the front are hearing the wind noise.

mdadgar
10-17-2003, 09:25
I have no mods on the front of my truck (other than the mirrors, of course) and the TTT's whistle nicely.

- Mark

drthv8r
10-18-2003, 22:46
I had the TTT mirrors on my 2002 with no front end mods. The whistling got to be pretty annoying but the mirrors really helped while towing.

BigLakeDMAX
10-19-2003, 18:24
No mods on the front of my truck, either. The source of the whistle is the gap between the front cover and the two extension arms, where the arms enter the actual mirror head. If you plug that gap with something, the whistle stops immediately. It doesn't seem to do it on mine with the mirrors extended for towing, only when retracted.

Ram
10-29-2003, 13:36
http://www.ttt-mirror.com/feedback.html

They've pulled feedback from here. Wish they would have use something a little more intelligent sounding from me.

Kennedy
10-30-2003, 06:43
Quote:

"We will have 'new level' covers available first week of November in case you
receive many enquiries about the wind whistle. We will replace the covers at no
charge if there are any complaints."

I've heard a slight whistle, but I VERY seldom have my windows open. I have Vent Visors on also...

DMAX Daddy
10-30-2003, 07:08
I read the mirrors have the clearance, turn signal, and heating, but do they auto-dim like my 2003 mirrors? In CA traffic I have come to LOVE that feature.

Camper purchase has been put on hold by imminent arrival of #2 offspring, so I have a little more time to look.

JEBar
11-12-2003, 04:15
Went to the ttt-web site ... http://www.ttt-mirror.com/ .... and used their Contact Us feature to request info on dealing with the whisle ..they e-mailed me back the same day asking for an address to send a part that they say will correct the problem ... can't say enough positive things about the quality of their product or their service ... thanks John for the heads-up

Jim

drthv8r
11-21-2003, 07:17
Originally posted by JEBar:
Went to the ttt-web site ... http://www.ttt-mirror.com/ .... and used their Contact Us feature to request info on dealing with the whisleI did what JEBar said and www.ttt-mirror.com (http://www.ttt-mirror.com) FedEx'ed me out a set of covers to cure the aussie whistle. Thanks JEBar for the info.

ochster
12-01-2003, 00:40
Wow! just did the install, and am very pleased with both the product, and the company. I used the new style covers, and they work great.

mdadgar
12-02-2003, 19:52
I just got my replacement whistleless covers from Schefenacker. GREAT service for a great product.

Two thumbs up.

- Mark

billnourse
12-05-2003, 19:47
Put my ttt's on this last week and they are everything I could want. Mine came with the new covers to stop the whistle. It took about 25 minutes per side to install them. The only problem I had was having to trim the Ventshade window vents to fit the mirrors. A little dremel tool work was all it took. I really like these.

Regards,

Bill

big-diesel
12-30-2003, 13:01
This is my first post but have been an avid reader since purchasing my DMAX six months ago. I hated the stock power extending camper mirrors that came on the truck. I love the TTT's. Just got them on today and they are awesome. Chevy should take some cues from Dodge and Ford, both of whom have good mirror set ups. My brother has a 2003 6.0 PSD and my father a 2004 Cummins and their rigs are a lot easier to back up. Thanks to John Kennedy for the quick and easy ordering process. Happy Holidays

mdrag
01-02-2004, 23:51
More Power,

Excellent review of the Schefenacker ttt mirrors. I finsihed the install today, replacing the Lucerix X-mount mirrors that were on my truck for 2+ years. Your review convinced me that I needed the ttt mirrors ;) :D Kennedy made sure that the mirrors arrived in time to make it under the tree (more like near the tree due to the size of the box)!

I've posted a few pics of the SCHEFENACKER TTT MIRRORS (http://community.webshots.com/album/76034334yNxUBI). Chrome cover on the DS and regular cover on the PS for the pics. BTW, the mirrors shipped with an extra set of the new 'aero' covers - the original style covers were factory installed on the mirrors and the 'aero' covers were packaged separately in the box.

Paintdude
01-12-2004, 18:04
I just ordered myself a set of TTT mirrors today. Looking forward to the much needed improvment in rear-side vision.

SoMnDMAX
01-21-2004, 05:50
Mine will be here today.... Need to be able to see around the new toy box..... :D :cool: :D

Paintdude
01-21-2004, 18:54
Got mine on and they are a big improvment so far. Havn`t had time to wire the turns and heat yet. only draw back is I have to fold the drivers side mirror in to get the truck in the garage. No regrets..

Paintdude
01-25-2004, 16:32
Got my mirrors wired today. Turns and clearence lights. AWSOME!!

The instructions say to cut the black and white wire then run one of them for the heat element. does anyone know which one on a 2002 I need to hook to? It isn`t a black/white wire, there is a black and a white wire. I dont know for sure which one to cut and which one goes to the power lead..

Thanks in advance..

SoMnDMAX
01-28-2004, 07:51
Mine are installed too. The hardest part of the install was running the clearance light wires.

Quick tip- a much less intrusive way of hooking up the clearance lights is to hook the wire into the brown wire coming out of the trailer brake harness. With my Tekonsha Voyager brake control this wire was not used, and provided a fused, constant 12V when the lights are on. This way you don't have to cut into the factory harness. The wiring is easily undone if it'd ever need to be disconnected.

The multiplex harnesses for the '03-'04 trucks are a snap- just plug them in, hook up the red wires, route the harness and go. Really simple!!

The true test will be this weekend when I hook up to the enclosed trailer to take the drag truck to the paint shop... :cool: :cool: :cool:

JEBar
02-08-2004, 04:48
Update ...

Several months after installing the new style fronts that ttt sent, I have found that they do indeed reduce/eliminate the whistle. Reason I reduce is I do have a front bug deflector that I believe is causing the remaining whistling noise.

Jim

Gary2004
02-11-2004, 14:06
Question On the TTT Mirrors, Looking for a way not to disable my memory seat and not have to adjust my mirrors everytime i get in to my vehicle, anyone have a solution. I like having my seat move back on exit and they readjust when i put in the ignition key.... thanks

Idle_Chatter
02-25-2004, 04:51
Well, just completed a 14 day Florida run towing my 6x6x12 box trailer down, back and all over the state. The TTT mirrors were AWESOME for the entire trip! Because of my small trailer, I was working off the OEM mirrors for the first year and the TTTs are such an improvement! Time and money well spent! :D