PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded Juke Box.......

mackin
11-10-2002, 09:47
It's time...

Dumping the stocker for ??????What have the rest of ya chosen?? I will piece it first is the receiver ,speakers, I'll get an amp later and perhaps not looking to compete in loudness but want quality sound .....
I need to retain Onstar.....
Crutchfield sells =>http://www.crutchfield.com/cgi-bin/S-5JNzEamCNbW/ProdView.asp?s=0&c=11&g=751&I=127OS1&o=v&a=1

Can I do with out the $100 dollar add on ???

Suggest away......

MAC

DieselBunny
11-10-2002, 15:04
I kept it simple but having a kick when I want it..:) took out the stock deck and replaced it with a Priemer head-end with an XM add-on, the stock speakers in the front were replaced with Focal's with crossover, in the back is 2 12" subs driven at 800 watts @ 2 ohms, my local shop here had a sub enclosure made up that fits just nice under the back seat and gives a few places to mount componants out of sight.

Oh ya, that little space left over from the factory tape deck is great for mounting a small CB.

--->Kevin

mackin
11-11-2002, 19:39
Kevin

Thanks for the reply....I too want to keep it simple for now....But would like to change all factory components AKA receiver and speakers....Perhaps wire in for a possible upgrade for a amp in the rear .....For an additional box.....

What I'm looking for is ease of door panel (ext cab) removal and those who wired an amp what options on getting the wires up front??? Socal did you run up the side under carpet??

When you coming to Groton???? LOL

MAC :D

[ 11-11-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

imported_
11-11-2002, 20:13
Mackin,

Good choice on the upgrade. I have a full blown system and love it but IMO anything is better then the stock equipment.

There are alot of ways to upgrade your system, the easiest is to retain the stock wiring, use an adapter and add a new powered head unit and speakers. You can tap into the rear speaker leads and use a line level to RCA adapter to add a sub in the future. You will still have to run power from the bat and remote turn on off the head unit to power the amp for the sub.

Personally I prefer running new speaker wire, using the RCA's off the head unit, and driving high powered amps. The pain in the but is that you should never run power wires beside RCAs. I took the seats out and ran the RCA wires down the center of truck with the speaker wires and ran the power down the drivers side under the plastic rocker panels. There is a nice channel to do this with 4 gauge wire off the jump start post. Make sure to fuse any power source within 12 inches of the connection. This may be more then what you want to do.

I also highly reccommend a CD changer of some sort and a head unit that plays MP3's

as for brands, i have a clarion unit with CD changer and like the pioneer stuff, for speakers pioneer makes economical good quality, or for higher end OZ, MB Quart, JL Audio

[ 11-11-2002: Message edited by: Big Blue ]</p>

SoCalDMAX
11-11-2002, 23:47
Hi Mac,

Wassamatta, those squealin' tires getting too loud? Bwhahaha! J/K! :D
Here's my recipe, it came in at $880 but it took some serious shopping.

Head unit: Aiwa MP3/CD with remote, changer controls, front/rear RCAs, front aux.-in jack and removable face. ~$180 at Frye's (local shop). NEVER skips.

Amps: Visonik 125WRMSx4@4ohm for mids/tweeters $209 from U-bid.com. These are better than RF or Alpine in terms of specs and watts/$
Visonik 350WRMSx2@4ohm for subs $129 also from U-bid.com

Speakers: 2 - 10" Tsunami subs, copies of JLAudio subs, rated at 400WRMS. ~$63 ea. from Ebay. Seller was upset at the low final bid...

4 - Pioneer TS-C1653 components for the doors. 7/8" tweeter and 6.5" woofer (used as midrange). This is the weak spot in the system. They handle all of the power they're rated at, but these are the first to distort at near ear-splitting levels. About $89/pr at several online stores. Check prices thru pricegrabber.com or mysimon.com. Eclipse or MB Quart speakers would have been a higher end "no compromise" solution, but the Pioneers are as clean up to 95% of the volume for 1/3 the price...so that's where I drew the line.

Built the sub enclosure and installed all of the cable and fuseholders (~$120 just for cable & fuseholders). Ran the RCAs down the DS doorsill and the 4ga. power cables under the truck closer to the center.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the results, the subs perform even better than expected and I can induce ear bleeds pretty much at will. Thank goodness these trucks come with dual batteries... ;) I wanted to get the Sony portable XM receiver, but the wife said no. I've decided to get rid of the wife, so the XM is coming soon. :D

Click on the pics, lemme know if any more questions. Oh yeah, I'd love to help ya with the install, but for some odd reason my boss keeps taking all of the CT/NH installs and I've been doing VA and some HI. I'm due in HI in Dec. I'll keep bugging him to let me do the next CT install, but I'm hopin' there's a good reason to freeze my patootie off!

If he bumps me off HI and gives me CT 'cuz I asked for it, somebody in CT is gonna be wearin' a Hula skirt to make up for it, it ain't gonna be me, and I'm takin' pictures!! :eek: LOL

Regards, Steve

DMAXDiva
11-12-2002, 12:20
Hi Mac:

I'm surprised it's taken you so long to chunk the stock system! You'll REALLY appreciate upgrades once you get 'em in there... ;)

I went for sound quality all the way; Kenwood, MB Quart components in the doors, JL Audio subs. Rewired throughout with Phoenix Gold (except the rear doors; too tough to feed the heavy wire... :mad: ).

Good luck with da new JAMZ!!!

[ 11-12-2002: Message edited by: DMAXDiva ]</p>

mackin
11-12-2002, 17:10
Thanks for all the info ,gals and guys, keep the ideas coming as this is a project I look forward to doing over the upcoming hoilday I hope.....

It's part of my anti-speed therapy !!!!!!

They way I figure get some quality tunes flowing and it will take my concentration away from the MIGHTY zaroooom of the Banks Duramax and my customary squealing of the skins....

All right I can pretend, as I know my letter will soon be at the door step so I begin my repent ... Forgive me DMV for I have speed'ed ......

Steve

I'll wear the Hawaiian shirt and I'll mix the tropical drinks....But I draw the line at a grass skirt and swinging my hips while your splicing and soldering !!!!! Aint happening .......
But I'm open for calling in replacements !!!!!!! Still may have some contacts from the old days of STAG necessities,it's been a while .....They were open to any particular theme if the price was right ......

MAC :eek:

[ 11-12-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>