PDA

View Full Version : Retractable Bed Covers

IndigoDually
11-07-2002, 08:41
What brand of bed cover are You using and how do You like it? I am looking for another one because I am not happy with my current one. I don't want a tonneau cover I want something rigid like a Retrax or a Pace Edwards and I'm wondering how the ones in use are working out. I bought one and am not happy with the Fit/Finish, leaks, fading, leaks, bent, paint flaking, leaks, etc.
I realize that they aren't 100% water tight but mine is almost as wet as if there was not any cover at all. I have been in communication with the manufacturer of my current cover and they are willing to look at it and repair my cover but the costs that I will incur will be too much. I don't want to throw another couple hundred dollars at a cover that I am not confident that I will be satisfied with after it is repaired.

Let me know what You are using, how long in use and how You like it (water tightness, fit/finish, etc).

John

chuntag95
11-07-2002, 09:32
IndigoDually,

I have a Roll n lock. I have been unhappy with it due to the exact same reasons. I had a snugtop on my last truck and it was great. Never leaked and in 4 years, I only had to take it off 3 times. I can't speak to the Retrax or Pace Edwards, but I can say I will not buy another Roll n lock. They leak like crazy, even thought I have added weatherstripping. It sags in the middle and doesn't like to stay closed.
Hope this helps.

IndigoDually
11-07-2002, 09:56
A local dealer that I found on the Roll-N-Lock website has already dropped them due to the problems that You stated. My problem is I need to be able to open the bed to pull my gooseneck trailers so a Snug lid type of cover is out.

John

chuntag95
11-07-2002, 10:06
You might ask JK. I think he has both the Retrax and the Pace. I think IIRC that he thought the Retrax was really good. You might do a search.

Kennedy
11-07-2002, 10:40
My Pace Edwards quit retracting so it looks like I need to figure out how it comes apart and replace the spring. That or sell it at a garage sale :eek: Sick of the cannister tubes plugging with leaves etc... :(

My Retrax glides smoothly and effortlessly, and does not require a key to open/close so long as I don't lock it. I like the dam at the front to keep water/crap from running into the front housing. Having the rear frame lap slightly over the tailgate is also a definite plus as the butt joint on the Pace is a perpetual leaker...

mdrag
11-07-2002, 10:41
IndigoDually,

I have the RnL retractable cover and remain very pleased with it's operation. It is not water tight - most (if not all) of the leakage is from around the tailgate. I place a rubber mat on the bed to keep water sensitive items directly off the bed, and no problems with water damage so far with over 1 year of use.

IMHO, if the RnL is not opening or closing properly - it was not installed properly by the dealer. Or your bed rails are too uneven - and that is GM's fault. If I sight down the bed rails from front to back on my truck, the PS bedrail is bowed upward near the center and very noticable if you look for it. Despite that, with fine tuning my RnL opens and closes very well. The only time I have to give it a shove is if the front of the truck is parked uphill or on a very uneven surface that flexes the bed from side to side. The majority of time I have to hold onto the strap to keep the RnL from closing TOO HARD.

Complaints: 1) The vinyl takes on a stripped appearance (across the bed) from friction with the aluminum slats. Generous application of 303 Protectant takes care of the stripes until the 303 wears off. 2) One time it froze shut, but GM's tailgate also froze up at the same time.

Many have posted positivie opinions on the Retrax and it is worth a look. I'd be surprised if any of the retractable covers are 100% water tight :eek:

[ 11-07-2002: Message edited by: mdrag ]</p>

hjd3021
11-07-2002, 13:55
Have had the Retrax here since February and it works really well. Some minor water leakage in through the bed post holes, otherwise it keep things dry. Still runs smoothly and I like the fact that it can be adjusted if it starts to bind by adjusting the rail clamps.

DMAX Daddy
11-07-2002, 14:09
Had the RETRAX for a few months now, it is great! I think its worth the cash, and getting favorable comments for it as well.

Kennedy
11-07-2002, 14:25
Oh yeah, I forgot the slat marks when rolled up! Looks like silver pencil lines across the top. Gets pretty nasty if you run it this way for long...

jbplock
11-07-2002, 14:27
Had the Pace Edwards on my 98 and I have the RETRAX on my 2003.The Pace Edwards was nice but the RETRAX is outstanding. Very smooth action with the sealed bearings. I haven't been able to detect any leakage yet either. When shopping around, the RETRAX's Lexan material, which can handle temperature extremes, is what sold me. I ordered mine from John Kennedy and had it in less than a week.

AKDmax
11-07-2002, 22:32
Here's another vote for the Retrax. It's not waterproof, but it does a good job of keeping water out. Only problem I've had with it so far; with 6" of snow on top it didn't want to roll very well (self induced problem). Ice has little effect on function. It's been below freezing in the evenings for over a month now with no problems. Flex is minimal on the highway at 80.

ct0218
11-07-2002, 23:12
I put a Retrax on my 03 just last week and though it is expensive it is an outstanding cover. As posted previously, it is not waterproof, but tuesday night we had 3 inches of rain and very windy and I had little leakage. With the intense sun in Florida the Lexan is a major plus--black vinyl just will not last as long. Overall, the quality of the product is a notch above others I have checked out. In this case you get what you pay for, and I would spend $1000 again.

CALIMAX
11-08-2002, 14:23
John, I have had similar problems with my Paragon cover and looking for a replacement. I agree that spending the money to have it fixed may not sastify me. The shipping alone is $$$.I'm thinking about a camper shell since I don't pull a 5er. Keep us post with your dealings at Paragon.

IndigoDually
11-08-2002, 17:31
CALIMAX, e-mail me and I'll tel you the story

John

indigodually@hotmail.com

NJDMAX
11-11-2002, 18:50
Indigodually,
I have the Retrax cover on my truck,it works well and is very easy to use. The cover leaks alittle by the tail gate but I need to adjust the tracks alittle better. If you want to see it in person let me know.
Tom

IndigoDually
11-12-2002, 08:01
NJDMAX, Send me an e-mail indigodually@hotmail.com. We still have to try to get together. There's a few of us who are local.

John

Diesel Duck
11-12-2002, 08:50
I have a '03 on the way & am shopping for covers as well. I like the looks of the Retrax, but I also need to lock it occasionally. Where can I find a lock for the tailgate & does the Retrax lock as well?

IndigoDually
11-12-2002, 09:56
Pace Edwards sells a tailgate lock that gets wired into the door locks of the truck. Pop n Lock has a more secure one that is a key lock that locks the handle. The drawback to the P/E is all that You have to do is pry off the plastic trim from around the handle and bypass the lock. The Pop n Lock I believe is a metal cover that can alleviate the problem.

John

LeeV
11-12-2002, 17:44
Another vote for Retrax. Have had mine installed for over a year and it's holding up very well. I was initally worried about cracks in the folds of the lexan, but there is absolutely no indication of that.

zrone
11-13-2002, 14:38
Hate the Pace Edwards. Silver lines that are almost impossible to get off even with plenty of 303 protectant on it, plus it leaks.

NJDMAX
11-13-2002, 21:20
Diesel Duck,
Bully makes a lock for the tail gate.
Easy to install and most people don't know it's there.
Tom

Diesel Duck
11-14-2002, 19:19
Indigo & DJDMAX,

Thanks for the info on the tailgate locks!

Joe smile.gif

AKDmax
11-14-2002, 20:02
You can see a picture of the bully lock here: http://www.pbase.com/image/6960456 or here: http://www.jpcustoms.com/images/LH-003.JPG
Only designed to keep honest people out IMO. Too easy to defeat.

[ 11-14-2002: Message edited by: AKDmax ]</p>