PDA

View Full Version : Got to have gauges...

chicoc48
02-20-2003, 18:36
Ok, I've waited long enough. I can't take it anymore, and with the snow almost gone around here, I decided to go for Juice this spring. I want to put in gauges before I get it, otherwise who knows how long I'd wait... Can anyone out there point me to the best place to purchase AutoMeter stuff? I've narrowed it down to the X-monitor or the AutoMeter C2 Series. I know how much the X-monitor will run, but can't find anywhere that carries the C2's. Any suggestions?
I like the looks of the Phantom series too, but haven't seen a pic of what they look like at night. The C2s will match the NuImage Platinum dash package nicely, and that's the main reason I picked those out.
Besides the gauges and the pod, is there anything else I should get for the install??

Thanks for your time-

Chico :cool:

Paintdude
02-20-2003, 18:57
Like you the time will come for me also..I am just alittle apprehenshous about mounting the pyrometer, drilling the manifold, but that is where it has to go from what I understand..

I say get the exhaust first,if you aint got it yet..

GMC-2002-Dmax
02-20-2003, 20:35
I have Autometer Sport Comp gauges. They are mounted in an Autometer Pod that I paint matched in graphite vinyl dye.

I did the whole install myself in under 3 hours - start to finish. I DID NOT drill my manifold. Autometer gauges come with a dual way to mount the Pyro Probe. I drilled just below the downpipe band clamp and mounted it there.

I see that my EGT's are 50-100 degrees lower than those with the manifold probe temps.

Some prefer the manifold install, I will probably stay with the downpipe install myself. I see 450-500 degrees on avg. driving. I see 800 or so hard on the throttle in L3/90hp and have seen almost 1000 pulling a hill empty in L4/125hp.

JK has said that as much as 200 degrees diff. is possible from pre and post turbo installs. :eek:

Since I do not hammer the throttle alot I am not concerned.

Pictures are in the SIG if you want to look.

GMC ;)

[ 02-20-2003: Message edited by: GMC-2002-Dmax ]</p>

Paintdude
02-20-2003, 21:13
I will have to do it Kennedy`s way..Matt at Jardine says the same thing as Kennedy..Incorrect info cant be good..No Juice for me until I get brave and drill the manifold..

this brings me back to wondering about the trans line being so close to the down pipe with a 4 inch pipe..1000 degrees and only a 1/4 inch away..I am gonna find some aspestious(sp?) from a EGR piping on a old motor and wrap the trans tube..

chicoc48
02-20-2003, 22:00
GMC2002-
You've seen 1000 deg. post turbo empty? :eek: Wow- I guess that's a good enough reason for me to have gauges before the Juice is in...
paintdude-The exhaust thing is really a tough one for me to decide on too. I had a Borla (Sweet stainless) on my 99 1500, and it held up to two WI winters with little or no rust (duh). And I guess I'm not sure how long an aluminized one will last with all the salt they spread on the roads up here... How do you like the Jardine?? Fit/sound/looks?

Chico

chicoc48
03-23-2003, 22:46
Hey guys- just wanted to thank everyone for all the info on this site. I put in my Auto Meters this weekend without a hitch. Also got the High Idle the Modified way and the ODLO in and functional. Threw my first SES code this morning after engaging the high idle, but everything else went great. Thanks again for all the good info....

Chico :D

Silver Bullet
03-23-2003, 23:08
Chico,
This is off topic but I have a couple questions for you...

How do your 295's fit in the fender wells? I was thinking about going with 295's or 305's the next go-round.

How do you like the Sylvania Silverstar Bulbs compared to stock?

Thanks.

chicoc48
03-24-2003, 10:36
Silver Bullet-
The 295's aren't a problem except at full lock, turning into a steep approach driveway, they do rub just a little. I think if I would have left off the mudflaps, they wouldn't hit at all. I did go exactly 4 turns on the bars from stock to give a little more space under there. I just thought it looked better. I'll try to post some pics- any recommendations for free picture hosting sites??
The Silverstars are nice. It's hard to appreciate them by themselves- since I'm used to driving with them now. You can see how white they are when parked next to a standard halogen vehicle though. I'd estimate they are about 70% of a true HID setup...???? For $20 each, I'd do it again.

Chico

Dawg
03-24-2003, 10:59
I installed my AutoMeter gauges last weekend without a hitch. Drilled the manifold as well. It was actually easier than I thought. I had all my incidentals purchased in adavnace took my time with the install and did it in 3-4 hours.

Silver Bullet
03-24-2003, 13:38
Thanks for the info Chico. Picture hosting...check out picturetrail.com (http://www.picturetrail.com/pages/accountUpgrade/intro_account.shtml) or http://community.webshots.com ...not sure how long "free" will last, but they are pretty inexpensive if you have to pay a few bucks.

SB