PDA

View Full Version : Dash Sportin' Wood Anyone??

Reno DMAX
11-05-2002, 18:18
Been thinkin' about a wood dash kit for my 2002 Chevy 2500 HD . Was wondering if anyone had good luck with a particular manufacturer. :rolleyes: I'd appreciate any pictures of dashes sportin' wood.

[ 11-05-2002: Message edited by: Reno DMAX ]</p>

chevmeister
11-05-2002, 18:51
check my pics if you like ill get the info from the company that did it. It was a custom shop in Maryland.
BTW Its just a stick on kit so im sure you can get it local if I find out who makes it.

[ 11-05-2002: Message edited by: chevmeister ]</p>

Reno DMAX
11-05-2002, 21:16
chevmeister,

Looks good. I have the graphite interior also. The woodgrain looks like dark burl walnut.

chevmeister
11-05-2002, 21:53
Its nice, ill find out what it is as soon as I get a chance. like your guage cluster. And a few other toys! :D Everyone here makes me jealous. To bad my CCs have limits. :D

[ 11-05-2002: Message edited by: chevmeister ]</p>

CanadaKev
11-06-2002, 13:28
Hey guys,
I think the wood dash trim looks sharp!
I've been thinking of doin' it too.
I found a site that has kits available on-line.
www.sportwing.com
I'm sure there are others out there too.
Kev

chevmeister
11-06-2002, 16:12
http://www.luxwoodtrim.com
Thats all I know. I cant even find the package on my truck. Looks alot like the avalanche package but with the overhead console pieces too.
Oh and its called "Oxford Burl"

[ 11-06-2002: Message edited by: chevmeister ]</p>

RVGuy
11-06-2002, 16:34
I purchased a Oxford Burl wood kit on Ebay for $189 for my '02 crew cab.

Be sure when you are ordering a kit, regardless of who you get it from, that they know your truck's model and whether its a crew or extended cab.

Take your time when installing the pieces. Do a couple trial runs with the backing still in place.

Also, you can shift the position slightly right after application but not much and not for very long.

A technique that worked for me was to find a point at the top of the piece at the point where the piece's weight was balanced. I secured the piece at that point to the intended area and made certain it was positioned correctly before pressing outward and downward from there.

This gives you a chance to adjust the piece before you make it permanent.

Reno DMAX
11-06-2002, 16:57
I've found a number of manufacturers on line including www.wooddash.com and exoticwooddash.com. They both sell the B&I dashes from New York. The real wood dashes are very expensive! :eek:

There's also sherwooddash.com out of Canada. I'm leaning towards them. Wooddash.com also sells the sherwood dashes. In speaking with Cynthia at wooddash.com, she recommends the molded (not flat) pieces for the main dash and driver and passenger door window/lock controls. Sherwood dash has a 27 piece kit (part #7504) for $350. :rolleyes:

RichBailey
11-08-2002, 23:03
Reno Dmax,
I installed the medium burl molded dash kit (4 piece) in my truck and it looks very nice. I have installed several of these kits and can give you some tricks. Contact me offlist at parussky@yahoo.com

chevmeister
11-09-2002, 08:31
RichBailey
any pics id love to see some of the other kits.

Reno DMAX
11-09-2002, 10:37
Rich,

Thanks for the offer to assist. I'm constantly amazed about the generosity of thedieselpage.com forum members.

I was told by one of the manufactures that it is not necessary to use the activator for good adhesion before installing the pieces. She said that it may discolor the stock trim.

As chevmeister said, it would nice to see pictures of the installations.

[ 11-09-2002: Message edited by: Reno DMAX ]</p>

RichBailey
11-10-2002, 10:55
I will try to take some digital photos today. Just got back from SEMA show in Las Vegas and am swamped. Picked up a wood kit for my wife's new Camry and she wants it installed today.

I installed the 4 piece (instrument panel, console cover, and both front door panels) molded kit from B&I Trim in a medium burl. There is also a complimentary flat kit as well, but decided that I didn't want or need to cover everything.

While at SEMA I talked to the owner of the company that manufactures these "sticky" plastic pads to set your cellphone, etc. on. Told him that I wanted a piece of the material for the center of the console. He said that he is in development phase with GM for this exact item. However, he will send me a piece for approval. He would be willing to sell uncut material to DP members.

Photos to come....

RichBailey
11-10-2002, 16:07
OK, posted photos of the dash. You can view at:
www.picturetrail.com/parussky

As to your question about the activator. The new 3M thin primerless foam is excellent and the activator is not recommended. However, it does not come with a release backing so it can be very tricky to install long pieces, as I found out today putting the kit in my wife's Camry.

I have a contact for buying the B&I Trim kits. If anyone is interested please send me an email.
parussky@yahoo.com

chuntag95
11-10-2002, 19:42
I put a real wood dash on the wife Expedition a couple years ago. The parts in the sun a lot have faded rather badly. All of the pieces on the roof still look like new. Several of the thin pieces have broken with the temperature changes. I got every piece you could for that truck as it was the wife's big Christmas present. If I had to do it over again, I would do the molded instead of the flat. I saw a kit that was a combo of flat and molded. That would probably be the one I would go with today. Just my 0.02 over the last 2 years.

Reno DMAX
11-15-2002, 15:54
Rich,

Thanks for posting the pictures of your B&I medium burl wood moulded dash kit. It's just what I was looking for.

Chris,

And thank you for your obeservations also. Moulded it seems, is the way to go.