PDA

View Full Version : no crank

racer32b
11-14-2004, 16:15
been having slow cranking on could start.
so i cleaned battery connections today.
also put in a new temp sensor. after i was done ran a few erands and truck started great.
went to run to the store and it wouldn't do nothing.service throtle soon light was flashing
and it has a big power drop when you turn the key.
i'm thinking starter because of the big power surge. does this sound right to everyone.
thanks guys.

DmaxMaverick
11-14-2004, 16:27
Sounds like you still have problems with your batt. connections. When you clean them, they will sometimes be worse than before after a few cycles. A very good (probably the best available) fix for this is Dr. Lee's battery terminal upgrade. Easy to do and inexpensive.

Go to This link (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/batterm.htm) for the complete details.

racer32b
11-14-2004, 16:56
I've done the upgrade on battery cables about two years ago. thanks though

HowieE
11-14-2004, 18:03
If you are drawing current when you attempt a start that says the starter selinoid is responding and feeding power to the starter. You may have a dead spot on the starter comutater. Try tapping the starter with a hammer once or twice. Or drop the starter and turn the shaft and try again. If it is a dead spot and it is the original starter I would consider a new one.

Barry Nave
11-15-2004, 02:19
Sounds like what I had at one time.
One battery went dead.

charliepeterson
11-15-2004, 19:46
In the "snow belt" I would swap out batteries after three years or the first hard start after three years.

racer32b
11-16-2004, 18:37
ok guys it was the batteries.isn't it sweet when
the fix is free.bought the batts in 5/01 at sams club and they warranted them and i also got 30.00
dollars back . can you say woooo hoooo.old batts were champions the guy said they have had alot of problems with that brand so they changed to exide.
so the exides were cheaper than the champs.so i got a refund. and better batts. thanks for the replys . just glad it wasn't the starter.
thanks patrick