PDA

View Full Version : -->>HELP!!! I think my rims are RUINED!!!

GMC-2002-Dmax
12-20-2002, 17:18
Help,

I live in the Northeast and have never had any trouble with aluminum wheels during the snowy months, ANYWAY my truck is riding on M&T Classic 16"x8" Aluminum wheels and I have been keeping the truck as clean as I can at self serve car washes.

I washed the truck tonight because it's about 48 degrees here and low and behold the Rims look like they have little tiny white spots all over them. I always use just car wash soap and a rim brush, but NO GOOD :( ........STILL THERE.

Does anyone know if this ruined the clearcoat or the rims??? If anyone knows if there is some way to clean them I would appreciate the advise. smile.gif

If not do I need to strip them in the spring and clear coat them again.

They are already messed up so I will ride it out till spring :(

Thanks,

GMC :(

big dipper
12-20-2002, 17:22
Try a bit of Mothers wheel polish.
I have also had good luck with Coral Blue (I think)

I like Mothers the best, but it is no fun job when they get that bad!

Paintdude
12-20-2002, 17:35
FYI, cat p!ss will eat most of that aftermarket clear coat off of polished rims..Makes spots of eaten off clear..

Do a search for POR15 they make a clearcoat repair system...

www.por15.com

GMC-2002-Dmax
12-20-2002, 20:18
Paintdude,

have been using POR15 for years. I thought it was UV sensitive???? If it's a cat it sure must be busy :D ,

Seriously though, I believe it's the salt :(

I'll see what I can do.

GMC

Paintdude
12-20-2002, 20:42
They sell a product called Glisten that works on wheels..Check out the site..

Cats do get around and so so dogs...You never know..

Good Luck.....

Toddster
12-21-2002, 16:10
Hey nieghbor ! To my knowledge M/T wheels Are NOT clear coated, just fully polished. My brand new Centerlines are junk too....Gonna have the chromed in the spring....Wash, dry, drive ! Pollished alluminum wheels SUCK ! :mad:

GMC-2002-Dmax
12-21-2002, 22:51
Toddster,

Guess I better get my 12 year old out there in the spring earning his allowance with aluminum polish :D

Thanks, I'll see about getting them polished up and maybe take Paintdudes advise and buy that Glisten from POR15.

Hey, maybe Mac, Bill(aka HDman),You and me could hook up at a convenient watering hole. MAC KNOWS A PLACE!!!! :eek:

Thanks,

GMC ;)

Sig left out AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!

White Knight
12-22-2002, 05:29
Just a thought---Car washes recycle at least a part of their water, but they should filter the water before re-using it. In the cold country, road salt from vehicles disolves in the water and until the water reaches saturation, the salt will not be removed by filtration. Chlorine from the salt will spot (corrode) aluminum. If the aluminum is not clear coated, the corrosion will start immediately.

Also, before you get to the car wash, you are giving the rims a good salt bath everytime the County road department addresses ice and/or snow on the roads.

GMC-2002-Dmax
12-22-2002, 08:46
White Knight,

I washed the rims from my own hose at least one every 3-4 days at the house after I got most of it off at the car wash during the week.

I am sure that the rims are just a polished rim and not clearcoated. I will ride it out for the winter and keep cleaning them.

in the spring I will try to see what's up!!!!

Thanks again

GMC

Toddster
12-22-2002, 08:59
GMC, I've been trying to get Mac out for a few "cold ones" for a while now.....Think he's skeeeeerd ! Or maybe cuz he knows my Dmax will SMOKE his Duraslug.....Maybe we will just have to drag him out of his cave kickin' and screamin' ! ;)

mackin
12-24-2002, 15:12
WOW !!!!!!!

Who knew.....ScaRRRRRed,only of what "may" happen,getting there, nope..... :eek:

Bill and I were just discussing this the other evening.....It will happen soon......My truck is due for a Diablo possession....We'll see who smokes who and literally "LIMPS" home.....Won't be ME half to full baked riding the shoulder....Shut her down ,pause ,restart ,now where and Hell did MAC go????

MAC :D :D :D :D

Happy Holidays ...Bill,GMC,Toddster=>we'll hook up soon.....

[ 12-24-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

NutNbutGMC
12-25-2002, 19:35
^...LMAO... Mac Daddy rocks the house! ;)

thechevyhdman
12-30-2002, 01:16
Tony I had the same problem with my Polished Alum. Wheels I had on an old truck. Went to a car wash and some chemical screwed them up bad. Took some mother polish to em and they came out great. In my opinion the polished are alot easier to take care of in some aspects. Having tires put on the rims the tire guy scratched the rim pretty good I was like SOB, he took out some fine grit sandpaper, blended in the scratch (less of a gouge) and told me to get some Mothers It came out spotless. They are alot harder to take care off then chrome(polishing at least every month or 2) But a scratch like I had in mine would warrant a new rim if it were chromed.
And yes you CT members Ive been waiting for a meet-up for along time, But take my word for it.....Bring a designated driver cause me and Mack can slam back the Vodka Tonics like water. Well at least dont bring the designated driver I had....My ball and chain cost me a tire,rim, front end alignment or new lower control arm on Christmas Eve. Check out I need a Rim (Stock GM)in another section. Women cant live with em'....Cant kill em'( Just Kidding) If it were me driving when it happened we would of been shinny side down, instead of able to limp home with a flat tire. Bill

tonkater
01-20-2003, 21:36
Not having any problems with my GM pol alm wheels and live 7 mi. from 2002gmc. Tony , give me a shout when its warmer and I'll help ya buff out those rims.

I've got a set of clear coated Western rims for my 85 in garage speckled with white paint from some one loosing a gallon of paint on road. Haven't figured out how to solve that one , don't really want to remove clear coat.

Oh yeah, any body having problems in this cold with tape holding on bed side caps coming loose ?

Sorry to hear of Bills bent rim.

Been there, done that !! Laugh about it now , but 85 GMC went flying throught the air , at 60 mph , only 1,500 miles on truck. I had seat belt on so kept truck in control , but buddy with me was unbelted and hit roof, landed in my lap.

Ad Town and Country change trans filter and rear end fluid just before Christmas. 19,000 miles on truck.

LA DMAX
01-21-2003, 22:56
GMC,
Sounds like you just have some oxidation spots. Try "Xtreme" metal polish. It comes in a black container. It's a type of ribbon coated with a pink polish, worked good for me. Just cut a 2-3 inch strip and start polishing. I used Mothers for years on my Weld racing wheels, but this stuff doesn't require as much elbow grease. I've had cat p!ss, hard water spots and even a little salt water that Xtreme has taken out. I got mine at 4 Wheel Parts. *Don't use them on the stock wheels or wheels with clear coats, it might scratch the coat. For just polished wheels - the clear coat it's great.* Hope it helps.
Later

LA DMAX

imported_
01-22-2003, 23:07
LA DMAX,
you got it right on the money! extreem polish is waay ahead of mothers on aluminium wheels!

Buck
01-24-2003, 19:31
Check out this site if you don't like polishing stuff :rolleyes: www.zoop.com/zoopseal.asp It seems expensive but wouldn't it be worth it to polish once a year and keep those expensive wheels looking new. I personally haven't tried it yet but plan to when it warms up around here.

MudNurI
01-29-2003, 22:32
hmmm I didn't think anyone ran "good" rims in the winter here in the north. We all have 2 sets of rims, one crappy (ie. stock) and one that are $$$...When I had my 305's on my Suburban, I'd take them off halloween and put them on the Monday following Easter..do the same with everything with aftermarket rims. Salt sucks, and regardless of where you wash them, it's going to eat into whatever type of coating is on the rim.

it's funny to drive through town here in the winter, everyone's got small tires, and crappy rims. Then there are the few like me, who park a 4x4 in the winter for fear the cancer will strike if it gets any salt on it.

FYI I've had great luck with mother's aluminum polish on my rims...though it's not removing any salt on mine.

Brandy

oyazi
01-31-2003, 02:34
MudNur ~ Too kool! ;)

[ 01-31-2003: Message edited by: oyazi ]</p>