PDA

View Full Version : Bilstein Install Problem

HDLD
09-23-2003, 18:50
Help! Anyone have any suggestions? I got my Bilsteins today from JK and am attempting to tackle myself despite being fairly green at this. First one went ok (front passenger) but the 2nd sent me for a loop.

I can't for the life of me get the bolt out of the bottom bracket. I removed the nut without incident, removed the top nut and then when attempting to remove the bottom bolt, realized it appears to be siezed. Tried WD40, a hammer, crow bar...no luck. It won't even turn if I put a wrench on it with no nut attached. Tried with no lift and various degrees till the tire was in the air.

Didn't bother tackling the rear's yet.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Hate to have to take it somewhere. :mad:

[ 09-23-2003, 07:18 PM: Message edited by: HDLD ]

LA DMAX
09-23-2003, 20:20
HDLD,
I'm not too good at that either but here goes. If you took the top nut off, are you able to move the shock back and forth or wiggle it at all? I believe you can compress the shock slowly and possibly pull it towards you to try and free it. If that doesn't work, try putting the top nut back and tightening it down then try to remove the bottom bolt. Don't know what that will do but it may be worth a try. Hope you get it out soon.

LA DMAX

Burner
09-23-2003, 22:51
-------> PB Blaster --------> I have "never" seen ANYTHING work like that stuff! It's in a yellow can....er a white based yellow can.

---- Try to tighten the bolt. If it becomes loose, just rock it to and for until released. That may help you "unseise" the bolt. You can "TAP" it with a hammer but DO NOT "HIT" IT!

-- need sleep,,,,,,,,,

Burner-----------------------> :D

HDLD
09-24-2003, 11:00
Became impatient so took it to the dealer. They had to heat it up to remove the bolt. One of the rear's was also siezed up apparently. Their fee was quite reasonable, perhaps because I had already installed one myself. I guess they don't use a torque wrench at the factory!

Put about 50 miles on them today and the ride is noticably improved. The front end seems to have a lot more contact with the road now.

Glad I got them although a warning for anyone from Canada, the taxes, duty and broker fees came to 129.58 CDN...48.40 of which went to UPS. Probably took someone all of 5 seconds to inspect and sign off on them.