PDA

View Full Version : trailer drag, how to help?

buelldude
12-17-2002, 06:08
pulling a trailer kills the miles, what have some of you done to help this? I looked at a few things but haven't a clue as to what works. Wings on the truck, bubbles on the front of the trailer, what else is out there. Is this something that I should just not worry about?

David Utz
12-17-2002, 07:44
I have a wing that was from my "90" K2500. I haven't pulled the trailer without it on the "01" so I can't say what benefit it has for the new truck. The "90" was rated to pull 7500 lbs and my 5th wheel trailer is real close to that when loaded. The truck had problems pulling into a strong headwind and up small hills and overpasses at speed. A 20 MPH headwind would keep me below 60 mph with it floored. I added the wing and lowered the hitch two holes and never had wind problems again. I did not see much fuel savings, but I was pulling 10-15 MPH faster (65-70 in stead of 55-60). For the old truck, it made a dramatic deference. The "01" hardly knows the trailer is there.

Paintdude
12-17-2002, 08:10
buelldude,You ain`t going to Bikeweek by chance are you..We will be staying in Bunnell this year..

Here is a freind of mines site for info..

http://www.bikeweekguide.com/

buelldude
12-17-2002, 08:35
Don't know about bikeweek yet. I will be going to Myrtle beach. I have new business(mobil bike detailing) starting up so it probably won't happen this year.
The trailer I have is a few feet taller than the truck so it pulls the mpg down to 12-13, if I make the long trips then I will back to what the old truck was getting.

12-17-2002, 08:59
DITTO ON THE WING. Had one on my 98 6.5 and had the same results. Have not tried it on my 2002 but I am sure the results will be the same. I saw a 2 mpg improvment in mileage also.

Kennedy
12-17-2002, 10:49
Unless it is a HUGE trailer, I wouldn't worry about it. People spend a LOT of money chasing 1-2 mpg and seldom see the results. If you have a big 5'er and don't mind the look of a wing, then I'd do it, but those "domes" really aren't all that they are cracked up to be. The best pulling enclose trailers I have seen are the smooth side fiberglass bodies from Forest River/Cargo division. I see people trying wedges, tapers, etc, but all have very little effect, especially when costs are considered.

Stage 1
12-17-2002, 14:38
There were previous posts on this subject. Some the key factors I used to reduce air drag were:
o Radius on front leading edges for the sides and top, I used 18" radius, what this does is reduce the air wave the front of the trailer makes moving through air. Design engineers indicated this is one of a few factor that makes a difference. Pics of trailer available below.

o Height of the trailer above the tow vehicle is another factor that effects drag, a wing on the back of the tow vehicle can help reduce this drag.

As mentioned above the Duramax fuel mileage is significantly above that of gas power for towing large trailers.

Just a comment because of the smile :D this is a really great tow vehicle.

Paintdude
12-17-2002, 17:35
I agree with Kennedy...

Buelldude if you make it to Daytona let me know, we will look you up...This will be my 5th year.. smile.gif

Stage 1
12-17-2002, 18:45
Just checked and could not find pics of trailer front as noted in my post above, there here some where, will keep looking.

Maverick
12-17-2002, 20:33
"Mowser" uses a nice stainless wing on his 3500. Maybe give him a shout and he can give you his feedback.

BROKERS
12-27-2002, 21:39
Just pay the fuel bill and stop searching for the 3/10mi/gal gain!Make sure your tire preassure is correct instead.
We gain alot by having a clean airfilter!

[ 12-27-2002: Message edited by: BROKERS ]</p>

sdaver
12-27-2002, 22:44
MY TRANSPLANTED MACK TRUCK BUBBLE TO MY 8X14 ENCLOSED CYCLE TRAILOR NETTED 2.5TO 3 MPG ON MY 8.1/ALLI..........6 TO ALMOST 9 ....75 TO 80 PLUS MPH............I THINK IT HELPED MY DMAX ON MY TRIP TO STURGIS.........NEW TRUCK 14/15 MPG 3000 MILES PLUS......65 TO 85+ JUICE LEVEL 2.....$50.00 DOLLARS PLUS MY LABOR TO INSTALL. MADE A NICE STORAGE AREA FOR TOOLS :D DAVE

pinehill
12-29-2002, 02:20
sdaver,

Do you have any photos of your Mack bubble that you could post on a netsite? Or could you supply them by e-mail?

Billman
12-29-2002, 10:35
Hey Stage 1, I have a couple of questions. Nice equipment by the way.(DMAX,T&E,Buick)

Why back the car into the trailer?

Are you tying the car down by the chassis? It doesn't look that way from the pictures. My experience is you can do more damage(wear) to the shocks during the tow than on the track.

FirstDiesel
12-29-2002, 11:45
Stage I

Like the mudflaps. Where did you find them??? I'd like to find the same ones with Chevy on them for my truck.

sdaver
12-29-2002, 20:32
HEY PINEHILL DROP ME A EMAIL ILL SEND YOU A PICTURE......DVGAMBLE@BELLSOUTH.NET ;) DAVE

Stage 1
12-30-2002, 10:28
Billman,

Thanks for the complements and suggestions, can not say enough good things about the T&E trailer, just outstanding!
The pics of car and trailer are from when the car was under construction, at this time the drive train was not in the car and trailer was not loaded w/equipment up-front. Therfor placed the car backwards for weight ditribution. Now with car complete it goes in front forward. Cross tie down in rear at lower control arm brackets on axle. Front is cross tied to frame w/air bag holding car up off suspension under engine cross member.
Can't wait for the new season w/ FI cars now in a different class for Stock Eliminator, get to go run some of those 428 Mustangs.

Stage 1
12-30-2002, 10:36
FirstDiesel,
Thanks,
The mud flaps w/bowtie are available as GM accessories in the 2003 Chevy truck catalog (both the dually and fronts for fenders w/flairs). The dealer should be able to order them. Their is another thread on mud flaps under Accessories that provides more detailed information w/part numbers. Also you can find this information on the chevy truck web site where the catalog is available as a PDF file that you can download. If you need more help in finding the part numbers let me know.

sonofagun
12-30-2002, 16:48
buelldude,

I pull a 13' tall 5th wheel with my DMAX and use an AEROWING wing. I agree with JK that it looks awful but it is only on when the trailer is hooked up. I tow from Texas to Utah and the downslope winds can be a killer (easily 15 -35 MPH all day long at times). I find a bit of an improvement in fuel mileage (2+MPG without the winds)which isn't really worth the cost of the wing (Camping World, by the way). I do find I can plug along much faster and maintain the same fuel mileage when those winds are blowing, for me that works. I used to pull a travel trailer and the wing was a big help with reducing big rig sway {when the winds were up especially). These trucks are so much better on fuel than anything I have ever driven that I say amen every time I tow, wing or not.

Good Luck,
Bob

FirstDiesel
12-30-2002, 18:28
Stage I

Thanks. I found them on the Chevy Site. They are listed in the 2002 catalog too. Sent in a request to one of the online dealer sites for a price. No answer. :confused:

mdadgar
12-30-2002, 18:33
My trailer has a V-nose on it and mileage while towing is still crap (~11 mpg at 65 mph or so).

Trailer pics here:

http://www.pdc-racing.net/gallery/trailer/index.html

Custom-built by Santek in Los Angeles.

- Mark
'02 Sierra 2500HD CC D/A SWB 4x4

FirstDiesel
12-30-2002, 19:22
So StrangeEngine, what do you race the Miata in??

Spec Miata??

I have 2 track Miatas that we do driving events with, no racing. Both the wife and I drive.
91 with a NA setup and a turbo'd 92.

That's why we own this truck to haul them to the track.

[ 12-30-2002: Message edited by: FirstDiesel ]</p>

mdadgar
12-30-2002, 22:35
Yeah, it was a Spec Miata. I just sold it and am going to build a BMW Club Race car.

The Miata was a lot of fun, but damned if it was just not as interesting as a BMW.

Plus, I've got a bad case of Project-itis. :D

There's at least one other SM driver here at the Diesel Page, though.

- Mark

12-31-2002, 05:46
I also tow a 13' high fifth wheel with a wing. The most important benefit to me besides eliminating the wind factor was that it also reduced my exhaust temps by a solid 200 degs. across the board. At the time I was towing with a 6.5 tubo so it was very important. Those engines could cook themselves in no time if you were not carefull. Have not towed with my DM yet so I don't know how they are ET wise.

mowser
01-15-2003, 09:32
1822;

I'd also like to add that my "TAYLOR" wing keeps most of the bugs off the front of the "FIVER", which is great. ;)

01-15-2003, 13:34
mowser- Funny, that is how I adjusted the angle on my Taylor wing. Could watch the bug line march right up the front as the angle increased.