PDA

View Full Version : STRAIGHT PIPED!!

Maverick
07-12-2003, 19:44
Today I cut the stock 25" muffler out of my 2500HD. I cut a prebent 25" piece off the stock exhaust system from my 3500. I installed the KD 4" on the 3500 last year. Installed the new piece of pipe with new 3.5" band clamps from NAPA. Cost a total of $22 for the swap.
Sounds good and it doesn't sound any louder than the 4" KD on the 3500. I havn't pulled with it yet so that may change. Sounds almost identical.
:D
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL43/437876/777914/29342776.jpg

hoot
07-13-2003, 14:07
:D :D :D

It will knock your socks off when you pull with it. :eek:

chevmeister
07-13-2003, 19:12
Hoot where did you get your pipe at? I cant afford 4" yet so I gotta go homestyle.

hoot
07-13-2003, 19:59
Shawn,

Nelson's in Twin Oaks. (Mighty Muffler)

Intersection of 322 and 452.

Nelson JR started his own shop on the corner. They bought the old Pat and Ziggy's Auto Body.

He had to order the 3 1/2" stock just for me. He may still have some left. If not, he can get more.

He doesn't have the equipment to bend 3 1/2 but he was able to flare the ends to allow a decent fit.

Charged me $60 for everything.

If you go make sure you mention my truck. I stop by there every so often. They put my tires on and aligned it a couple of months ago. Excellent alignment.

chevmeister
07-14-2003, 19:46
Thanks Mike
My father in laws shop has the equipment to bend 3" was considering 3" duals..... what do you think... stacks??

Allison Jettester
07-15-2003, 08:38
Mav,
Nice installation. You state that the clamps came from NAPA. Are they the stepped preformed clamps or were they flat to begin with? If they are preformed, could you please give the part numbers? My NAPA only has the flat clamps. Donaldson makes really nice preformed clamps, but I can't find anyone who sells them online.

Thanks,
Joe

Maverick
07-15-2003, 11:42
AJ,
They were flat to begin with. The reciept is in the truck and my wife has it right now. The packaging had a black cardboard face and was all shrink wrapped in clear plactic. It mentioned 360 degree sealing on the package.
I'll find that reciept tonight.

RVGuy
07-15-2003, 11:54
Running a straight exhaust?

Man, I heard Bassinriver's a few weeks ago and also rode in his truck.

From the inside it doesn't sound as if the levels changed much from a performance muffler. But let me tell you, from the outside his was much, much louder and on the edge of being too loud...and don't get me wrong, I don't mind loud.

FYI, the muffler clamps from NAPA that Maverick used are fine, but you might want to contact John Kennedy for a set that might work even better. He can tell you why.

Maverick
07-15-2003, 12:42
Acceptable inside levels is what matters to me, the driver. To bad for the ricers that I am passing.

I have a KD exhaust and I feel the NAPA clamps offer a better seal where the bolts come together. Nothing wrong with KD's set up. I am very happy with it. I just think the NAPA clamps seal better for the mod that I did.

Jelisfc
07-15-2003, 13:49
Originally posted by Maverick:
Acceptable inside levels is what matters to me, the driver. To bad for the ricers that I am passing.Me too. My gasser had straight pipes out the back. Not very loud empty even at WOT but after the second hour on the road with the sound bouncing off the trailer it was too much even for me. Somebody needs to make a kit so if you want to put the muffler back in the band clamps will work. That's what I did with my gasser except I replaced the whole tail pipe. Don't need to on a Dmax.

Maverick
07-15-2003, 21:51
Allison Jettester,
Here is the NAPA part # for the clamps.

# 733-5977

Jelisfc
07-16-2003, 18:25
Has anyone ever started their truck without muffler and tail pipe? I know the sound under the truck will resonate terrible. I'm asking because I'm a tad bit afraid it will be too loud when towing and maybe I can get a rough idea of the sound if I drop the exhaust at the four bolt flange and take it for a spin.

Either that or does anyone listening have a straight pipe in my area?

imported_
07-16-2003, 22:18
i just helped design a system for my friends cummins.... he is straight piped and all.... you should hear it...no resonances in cab at all! and to quote someone who listened to it at the track " it sounds like a 10 liter v-8....deep athorative on the outside...mellow as stock inside the vehicle..... i kinda plagerized the idea from my 2nd and 3rd year physics notes on standing wave theory and my other background in LEAP speaker cabinet design. if anyone is interested i'll share....actually maybe i should talk to JK about it first!
JK you still got my email addy?....rt10magnum1@excite dot com

Maverick
07-16-2003, 23:25
Jelisfc,
I'm towing my 8.5 x 20' enclosed car trailer on Sat. I'll post how I feel it compares to my udder twuck. The tail pipe is in the stock location so there shouldn't be much echo from the trailer like it would if it was mounted straight out the back of the truck.

I'll be coming through MN around the middle of August.

HD-Nate
07-17-2003, 09:33
Originally posted by Jelisfc:
Has anyone ever started their truck without muffler and tail pipe? I know the sound under the truck will resonate terrible.... Yep, I did before I put the JK muffler on. I drove it around the block. D@mn is was loud :eek:

The neighbor across the street walked over and said, "Is that how loud your new exhaust will be?"
I grinned a said "Well yes, why?

He just laughed, shook his head and walked back home. :D

He was happy when I put the muffler on and let him hear it tongue.gif

Jelisfc
07-17-2003, 21:24
Maverick, I'll be around in August. Post before you leave. I'm only a few miles off I-94.

VFRRider
07-18-2003, 15:10
Does anyone know how the straight pipe compares to a 4" reference reduction of EGT's?? I'm assuming the muffler is the primary restriction is the stock setup, and since we don't make any header changes, difference between 4" and straight should be minimal. Am I off base here? :confused:

Maverick
07-18-2003, 17:47
I don't know how a staight 3.5 compares to a 4. Someone did say that by removing the stock muffler, it flows 75% better....or something like that. I did gain some more mileage out of this last tank of fuel. 40 miles.

After running it on the highway yesterday at 70-75, (previous 55-60) I can say that it is alittle louder than my KD 4" setup. Tow tomorrow so we'll see how loud it is.

Maverick
07-20-2003, 01:38
Well I pulled my trailer today. Has a little louder bark at WOT than the KD system. Cruising at 70 is almost the same. 50 mph in 4th gear @2000 rpm is alittle annoying when you play with the throttle. Overall I am pleased and will leave it alone for now.
Also meet Bush Pilot today. Nice guy with a sweet black crew cab with lots of goodies.
Hey BP.....how did my exhaust sound when I left your place?

Bush Pilot
07-20-2003, 10:44
Maverick,

I had no trouble hearing you. It was definitely more noticeable than when you were setting in the driveway.

sdaver
07-20-2003, 13:36
hey bp we ride our bikes here late febuary thru mid november........how bout in the great white northnorth.....west?.........im leaving for sturgis on the 29th........trailor straight thru 1700 miles each way..........I have the banks 4" with no resonance and a nice mean growl... :D dave

Bush Pilot
07-20-2003, 20:29
Sdaver,
We ride her as soon a s the snow is gone until it happens again. Usually April Through September. Haven't been to Sturgis yet but maybe next year. The wife has a Harley too and we are talking about shipping then down and going on a couple week cruse.