PDA

View Full Version : Paint Code again

odoh
08-20-2002, 19:46
I'm getting ready to do the gauge trip and need to paint the pillar pod. I know the code for the interior color is in the glove compartment but can't recognize it. Would anyone out there have/know what the GM paint code is for '02 neutral/tan? TIA ~ odoh

Paintdude
08-20-2002, 21:07
It is in the glove box..I forget which number it is without looking in the book..Sorry.

Your local dealer--parts dept. should be able to give it to you from the vin number..

It may be on your window sticker...

odoh
08-20-2002, 21:29
It along w/200 other codes are indeed sitting smugly in my glove compartment :D The win stick say tan interior. Thanks anyway. ~ odoh

Colorado Kid
08-21-2002, 08:12
The majic code for your "neutral" interior is 52D, unless you have leather or vinyl seats, in which case it is 52* with the * being some other letter reffering to the seat trim.

Graphite is 12*

odoh
08-21-2002, 08:52
Thanks for the reply ~ now to find the stuff :D ~ odoh

Allison Jettester
08-22-2002, 13:08
Odoh,
I was at the dealers the other day and they had a box of spray cans they had ordered from their suppler to exactly duplicate GM colors. I think you can just ask the dealer for a can of what you need. If your dealer doesn't have them, let me know and I'll get the address of where they ordered them.

Joe

[ 08-22-2002: Message edited by: Allison Jettester ]</p>

odoh
08-22-2002, 17:30
Allison Jettester: Have chkd all the dealers in this area (4) w/consistant duh, no got and really not interested. Went to the paint warehouse w/the GM code and their book has several 52 that looks nothing like the tan/neutral. Plus, even if we could decide on one, they can't load it into an aerosol can like enamel for Idonnowhy. Could you chk and give me an email at odoh1@hotmail.com ? Keep in mind that unlike the exterior paints interior paints are the vinyle type. Much appreciate your assist. ~ odoh

Steve Cornell
08-22-2002, 21:42
odoh,

I do a lot of vinyl \ plastic coloring and I use SEM, the best price and service I have found is from http://www.vinylpro.com/
Give them a call they may be able to cross reference the GM code to their color.

I have a SEM color chart here but don't have a neutral truck to compare.

Good Luck

odoh
08-23-2002, 17:43
It can be tuff. I bought a couple of cans that I thot was close. Got home and found I was way off. So, next time, I took the ashtray into the store and compared to the chart. I think we're close enuff w/pacsedero sand.

Question: is all the (2step, SEM soap etc) surface prep really neccesary? ~ odoh

GMC-2002-Dmax
08-23-2002, 18:18
I had a can of vinyl dye mixed at a local auto parts store. The label states it is a Sherwin williams product. The can is an aerosol 16 oz with the vinyl dye custom mixed to match graphite. It is a perfect match.

The label says Omni-Pak Master Blend EZ Touch-up.

The company I purchased it from is a Ditzler and PPG auto paint distributor. If anyone is in a real jam the cost is $22.00 U.S. for the can. I would be willing to purchase and ship to you for actual costs.

Let me know.

email me at : gmc2002duramax@earthlink.net

GMC

;)

odoh
08-23-2002, 18:28
Hey man, I'm touched by your offer. I appreciate the swell group of guys/gals that make this one of, if not the best forum around.

I went to our local paint shop under the impression that they could mix and pkg it in a aerosol for me ~ they said so. But when I got down there, they reneged and said that they couldn't do the vinyl. So, I purchased off the shelf SEM that comes close ~ So I want to thank each and everyone for their comments/suggestions. ~ odoh

FirstDiesel
08-23-2002, 18:40
GMC

You used this to paint a guage pod??? Did you do anything to prep it???

GMC-2002-Dmax
08-23-2002, 18:49
FirstDiesel,

This is an automotive grade professional vinyl dye - color matched to the vehicle paintcode. The only prep work I did was lightly scuff with a red 3M scotchbrite pad then a quick wipe with some pre paint wax grease remover. The pod was installed on the pillar moulding and masked off. I painted two light coats of dye and unmasked the gauge pod, then two light coats to blend it all in. Looks factory.

I also did not use the autometer supplied plastic rivets. I bought a set of 10 with a larger diameter button and used 8 to secure it.

Click on my picks and you can check it out.

Let me know if you need the dye. I will try to upload a picture of the can I used.

GMC ;)

[ 08-23-2002: Message edited by: GMC-2002-Dmax ]</p>

Steve Cornell
08-23-2002, 21:13
odoh,

If you use SEM, you should use SEM Sand Free 38363 to prep the plastic before using the color coat, also make sure the plastic is clean and free of protectants such as ArmorAll, this can be done with simple soap and water or rubbing alcohol.

The Sand Free softens the plastic and allows the color coat to soak into the plastic.

odoh
08-23-2002, 21:20
Somehow, I just knew there was something more than just spraying. Thanks for the tip ~ odoh

Allison Jettester
08-24-2002, 07:07
I just now read Odoh's post and will check with the dealer to see what they have available as well as where they got it.

Joe

Allison Jettester
08-24-2002, 11:43
I went to my dealer today and found the company that they use to buy matching paint. It's
http://www.paintscratch.com . They custom mix any paint you want. A little expensive, but may be worth it. $29.95 for 12.5 oz spray can and $15.00 for clear coat. Have to call or email them for interior paints.

Also, here's how to find the exterior paint codes. I believe the interior info is contained in the last four digits of the VIN. The sticker below is in your glove box. The [img] UBB code must be disabled, because it doesn't work, so you'll have to copy and paste it into your address window.

http://www.paintscratch.com/images/gm_partid.gif

Joe

[ 08-24-2002: Message edited by: Allison Jettester ]</p>

Maverick
08-30-2002, 23:37
I was told that NAPA can mix/match and put in a can for you. I'll have to check this out myself.

GM paint codes:

50----Summit White
65----Beige Mystique
60----Sunset Gold
39----Indigo Blue
74----Victory Red
41----Onyx Black
51----Dark Carmine Red
43----Emerald Green
11----Light Pewter
68----Meadow Green

Hope this helps someone.