PDA

View Full Version : bug deflector/hood protector recommendations?

Jeep Puller
07-04-2003, 01:27
I'd like to get a bug deflector/hood protector and would like to hear from those who own one what you like and don't like about the brand you have. I'm skeptical of the durability of the stick-on units - what's the experience in the field?
Thanx in advance.

Chris Karpa
07-04-2003, 15:36
I can't remember the name of the 1st on I put on,
but It took a rock and it shattered
So I bought a stock GM product to replace that one
and so far have no trouble with it
the new one covers more frontal area than the
previous one. 5 screws and I was done. The hood is
pre-drilled and tapped for the deflector. No messing with 2 sided tape etc. It doesn't flap or create any extra wind noise.

Very Old Dog
07-05-2003, 05:29
Bought a GM product from the parts department. It was $65.00 and easy to install.

oyazi
07-05-2003, 09:17
I use Invinca Shield, a clear 3M product that is hard to detect. Also use a Cabela product for the rocker panels. Me be happy.

roegs
07-05-2003, 13:08
I have a Driver Design and really like it. I did a lot of research when looking for one to put on my '03 GMC. I wanted one that would allow me to reach behind and wash the front of the hood (that eliminated GM's product), one with no added wind noise, and one that would not touch or rub on any of the hood paint. I tried a few others (Lund, Deflecta-shield), and ended up with the Driver Design. It uses metal brackets to attach the shield to the bottom of the hood. A few of the brackets touched the bottom of the hood at first , but I was able to re-adjust them with some washers. :D

Jeep Puller
07-05-2003, 22:11
Thanx for the input -
So how do they do at directing bugs up over the windshield rather than into it? My windshield seems to collect bugs happily minding their own business from about half a mile on either side of the truck.

HD-Nate
07-06-2003, 14:54
First one I bought for the

tysmith
07-06-2003, 15:19
I've had no luck at all with bug deflectors deflecting bugs. :rolleyes: They do stop rock dings on the hoods leading edge, but other than that, I find they are more cosmetic. The trucks are designed for optimal airflow without them, so I'm thinking of going to the invinca shield.

Ty

tophog
07-06-2003, 21:47
Originally posted by tysmith:
I've had no luck at all with bug deflectors deflecting bugs. :rolleyes: They do stop rock dings on the hoods leading edge, but other than that, I find they are more cosmetic. The trucks are designed for optimal airflow without them, so I'm thinking of going to the invinca shield.

Ty I agree, I've tried 2 and didn't think much of them for functionality. Actually both worked pretty well at deflecting the bugs so they all hit the windshield in the same location ... about eye level. smile.gif I'm now back to no shield.

Jeep Puller
07-07-2003, 00:05
roegs & HD Nate -

How well do your respective shields do at re-directing bugs up over the windshield? I know they work on some vehicles. I suppose it varies with the airflow over a particular vehicle. I noticed a huge improvement when I put a DeflectaShield on my Jeep Cherokee. :confused:

roegs
07-07-2003, 22:04
I think that most bug deflectors now days would fall into the weak category for deflecting bugs. The older ones used to be straight vertical panels that would deflect air up and over the hood. Kinda ugly to say the least, but they did work. The newer ones are much more aerodynamic, and look a heck of a lot nicer...problem is, they don't deflect bugs. The primary purpose for me is to prevent rock chips on the front of the hood, and there is some cosmetic value as I like how they look. I looked for months, and settled on the Driver Design, made in a small town here in southern MN. My concern was having anything rubbing on the paint on the bottom lip of the hood. I was able to adjust the DD shield so that nothing touches.

HD-Nate
07-08-2003, 08:17
Jeep Puller,

I

blue_lightning
07-08-2003, 13:06
I had the 3M Invinca-sheild for a short time on my 2002 Chevy HD. I recently removed it and had a professional installer put on another 3M product similar to the Invinca-sheild that covers slightly more paint area. The main reason for removing the first Invinca-sheild is that I installed it myself. It looked horrible. The sections of the hood where the contour changes dramatically, that section that distinguishes an HD from a non-HD, sent me crazy. I looked at the video 3 times and practiced but in the end, it was a waste of about $100.00. The pro did the job in a half hour and best of all; you don't know it's there. Well worth the $200.00 with tip after trying it myself. I never liked the look of those bug deflectors so I went with this product. Another thing to consider, some have complained of a "flapping" noise that is present after installing bug deflectors. Good luck.

[ 07-08-2003, 02:47 PM: Message edited by: blue_lightning ]

oyazi
07-08-2003, 15:54
Installing the Invinca isn't a walk in the park. However, couldn't find anyone/professional locally to do it for me and didn't wanna be pushing one of those plastic sails thru the air like everyone else. I like the power hump of 01/02's and couldn't see the sense of putting a flyswatter in front of it. So, I had to install the invinca myself. Took/used a lot of liquid (forget if it was a soapy solution or water now), worked the bubbles out in the low areas where the film had to stretch the most ~ all in all, it came out pretty good. I recall that I did call Invica Shield support and that they were very helpful.

Reno DMAX
07-08-2003, 15:59
Here's another option:

motovet
07-08-2003, 18:45
I had the EGR carbon fiber on my grey truck and it looked real nice. BUT, had to take it off because it made the Lucerix mirrors vibrate so bad I couldn't see what kind of car was behind me. I need to get the clear stuff. They should all be called hood protectors cause that's all they do.

oyazi
07-08-2003, 19:07
Back about 10 ~ 15yrs, I would duct tape the front of the hood/rocker panels for our lengthy road trip to CO. Stylish it wasn't but functioned/protected well. Of course no one along the way knew who we were and would never see us again ;) But I'm sure we were remembered! :D Sure wouldn't do that on my new truck where the neighbors could see it.

[ 07-08-2003, 07:14 PM: Message edited by: oyazi ]

atvpilot
07-10-2003, 02:51
I bought my truck used and it came with a Lund front deflector and it is actually screwed to the underside of the hood. I like it so far. :cool:

Jayhawker
07-20-2003, 18:18
I removed the first deflector on my 01 2500HD because it created a popping sound on the windshield at 75 mph+ (this was a frequent complaint on this site two years ago). Replacement was a Lund Interceptor, which worked fine. I have just traded for an 03 3500 and have installed a GM deflector.

A previous post is right. Years ago the tall, vertical deflectors kept bugs off much of the windshield. On my 86 F**D, the deflector created so much turbulence that the windshield washer couldn't get fluid on the windshield at 60 mph. These modern ones look good, but they just keep the rocks off the hood.

SparkyTX
07-20-2003, 18:28
Guess I am just a bit cheaper than most of you guys. I bought a Bugflector II from my local PepBoys for rather cheap. It attaches using 4 small screws into plastic inserts. The inserts go into four of the square holes you have just under your hood. It doesn't come close to touching the hood and looks nice per the contours. No problems with my mirrors or anything else. As with everyone else, doesn't help too much with the bugs, but it does help protect the leading edge of the hood.

Only complaint I have (and I expect it may be for any of them) is since it is sandwiched between the hood and the grille when the hood is down, I believe it is exerting some extra force on the grille. Only time will tell if that is an issue or not.

All in all, VERY pleased with mine.

imported_
07-21-2003, 22:44
I too bought a Bugflector 11 from pepboys & it looks good but i went on a 400 mile trip and noticed the middle of it was flexing almost back into my hood, the wind wasn't even blowing that much hate to see if it was a windy day. I am going to take it off & return back to store tomorrow. Will have to search for another now.

imported_
07-23-2003, 06:52
Well iam going with the 3M Invinca Shield now, have an appointment at 11 am to get it installed...