PDA

View Full Version : Brake Controller on '03's

GDOG
10-24-2002, 16:01
Hope someone out there can help. I've been following this forum for over 2 years now and finally joined this week. I recently purchased an '03 GMC and as has been discussed her in other posts didn't receive the brake controller wiring harness as they have discontinued providing it for this year. The dealer can't get it. It's about 3-4 weeks before Draw-Tite comes out with an aftermarket one. So....the question is...what is everyone doing to get around this? The RV dealer is hesitant about hardwiring it as the '03 wiring harness has a diode in it that the '01/02's don't and it affects the ABS. I'm leaving on vacation in 3 weeks and need it desperately. Are there any other manufacturers making an after market harness? I'd appreciate any responses.

Kennedy
10-24-2002, 16:26
I haven't crossed this bridge myself personally...yet, but I recall talking to one of my suppliers who said they had something. IIRC, it was an adapter or something.

GDOG
10-24-2002, 16:31
Thanks, could you give me some names and numbers to call or email? Or if you talk to them please quiz them about the adapter and let me know. Thanks

mdrag
10-24-2002, 18:03
I got an email today from www.southwestwheel.com announcing that the Alcoa Hotshots wheels for the '01-'03 3500's will be arriving any day, and the availibity of a brake control wiring harness for the '03s :

==================================================
New 2003 Chevy wiring harness -

The new Tekonsha Prodigy wiring harness for the 2003 Chevy is now available. The part number is a 3015 and is priced at $8.50. Receive free FedEx 2nd day air on all wiring harnesses when purchased with one of our Tekonsha and Hayes-Lemmerz brake controls.

=================================================

I would think you could adapt the harness to other controllers if you don't have a Prodigy. Hope this helps.

Stage 1
10-24-2002, 18:34
Confirming what mdrag said above, ordered the Tekonsha Prodigy wiring harness from Southwest Wheel on Tuesday of this week, I should receive it tomorrow. Tuesday they said they had just received the correct wiring harness for 03' GM trucks. Let you know what happens. :rolleyes:

Jelisfc
10-24-2002, 22:06
OK enlighten me. Why do you need the harness? I will be moving my controller form my '99 to my '03 after I get it soon. My '99 is hand wired.

GDOG
10-25-2002, 08:29
mdrag and stage1 thanks for the info. i'll be contacting them today. This makes me breath easier as the wife was about to blow a gasket when I told her we may have to cancel the vacation. And yes I have purchased the Prodigy controller. tongue.gif

IndigoDually
10-25-2002, 08:32
Starting in '01 (I think)GM made it very easy to install a controller with a wiring harness that you attach to a brake controller and just plug it in under the dash. There is no more fishing for wires and tapping into a brake circuit or anything, just "Plug and Play".

John

Jelisfc
10-25-2002, 11:29
IndigoDually, so if I'm hearing you right. '03's don't come with the harness from the factory, GM doesn't make one, A harness from an '01 or '02 won't work, but the newly released aftermarket harness specifically for '03's will plug and play? Did I get that right?

snowmo
10-25-2002, 11:41
When I picked up my 03 GMC my sales guy asked me if I would be installing a brake controller. I replied yes and he walked over to his desk and pulled out a harness and handed it to me. I'll probably install my controller this weekend but I do not remember seeing anything like a diode in the harness. Where is it located and how can I make sure I don't just have a 01/02 harness?

GDOG
10-25-2002, 11:44
In response to Jelisfc, you are correct. I just spoke w/GM dealer who is very much aware of this problem and said they don't have any delivery date yet. But good news was posted here by mdrag and stage1 and just confirmed as I got off of the phone with southwestwheel.com which takes you to brakecontroller.com. After the guy told me they didn't have that harness and I grabbed him by the collar and shook him real hard and told him it was posted on their website. Then gave him the part number he looked it up and sure enough he had them. The nice thing about this one is that it plugs into the electrical box on the truck and into the Prodigy without any splices. Anyway, 8.50 and another 7.00 shipping.

Stage 1
10-25-2002, 15:22
I just received the optional plug in wiring harness ( for 03' GM trucks)from Southwest Wheel today. Confirms they are now available, looks nice.
Note: The Tekonsha Prodigy controller #90185 includes a similar cable wo/the plug that connects to the truck. For any one interested in adding the truck end plug, you need the following:

o truck end plug is a "DELPHI >PA66<" , it also has a paper tag w/ the number 3015 printed on it.
It has provisions for six wires.

o you will also need four ( two of the positions on the plug are not used)of the metal contacts/connectors that go on the end of the wire and are inserted in the plug. With a very small straight edge screw driver or dental pick it should be easy to assemble the wires into the plug. I do not know the spec. for these metal connectors that go into the plug (maybe they are included w/plug?).

o Truck end plug wire assembly for the harness included w/Prodigy is as follows:
(plug is labeled w/A-F letters)
position A = void/not used
position B = black wire (+ 12 volts)
position C = blue wire ( trailer brakes)
position D = red wire (stoplight)
position E = void/not used
position F = white wire ( ground)

I will try to post some pictures of the truck end plug, later this evening.

Stage 1
10-25-2002, 16:12
Just loaded two pics of the 03' GM brake control wire harness to link below; under My Album.

C J Fairall
10-25-2002, 22:07
GDOG;
The information posted onthis thread about the 01 and 02 trailer harness not working on the 03's is correct, but GM has a TSB on this subject and it tells how to modify the 01 and 02 harnesses to work on the 03 trucks. The main reason for the TSB was for those 01 and 02 owners who traded up to and 03 and wanted to take their brake controllers and harnesses and transfer to the new truck. I realize time is of the essence for you so hope this will help.
Jim.

GDOG
10-28-2002, 09:16
CJ, Thanks for the info. I had contacted several dealers and rv shops and no one seemed to know anything about the '03 harness. But hopefully the harness that is on the way from Southwest wheel will do the trick.

trout49
10-28-2002, 09:44
GDOG
I got my 2003 3500 in July. Ordered the prodigy with a GM harness. Naturally it was for an 01-02. When I installed it I had lights on the controler, but no voltage to the brakes. It would work on manual, but not with the brake pedal. Took it to my dealer and said I have no voltage to my brakes. They rewired the plug under the dash at no charge. It took about 45 min. to figure it out but it works fine now.
Perhaps your dealer could do the same thing. Its worth a try.

GDOG
10-28-2002, 12:27
Thanks Trout49. I'm waiting for the Tekonsha wiring harness so hopefully its a plug and play. See Stage 1's pictures.

Stage 1 great pics of the harness. Looks well worth the 8.50. Does it come with the fuse to plug in to the panel or do you have to provide your own? if so what is it a 40 amp?

Jelisfc
10-28-2002, 15:09
It sounds like the only problem with running an '02 wiring harness is the brake light indicator wire won't work thus no trailer brakes but if you bypass that wire the rest should work.

Stage 1
10-28-2002, 15:37
It did not include the fuse and I have not installed mine yet ( waiting for truck to arrive early Nov.). Do not know what fuse size, does the operator manual provide this information?

Good like w/yours and let me know how you like the Prodigy. I previously used the Sentenal on last truck. Hope this on is better, had to adjust gain for city and hwy driving, hoping this is not necessary w/Prodigy.

Tsckey
10-28-2002, 21:47
I've wondered if this '03 controller harness change is just GM's little joke. Of course, when I bought my GMC the harness was not included even though the manual made reference to it. The dealer from whom I bought my Prodigy helpfully sold me the missing harness made by DrawTite. The installation was simple enough. The brake lights worked properly and when setting the trailer brakes using the manual lever everything seemed to work fine...everything but the brakes when applied via peddle, it turns out. Because my trailer is light, I didn't even notice the lack of brakes (my compliments to the engineers who put the great brakes on the HD's). Eventually, the light went on in my head (the brake lights were already on, remember?) and I called the trailer supplies dealer and asked if he knew of the problem. He said that by the strangest coincidence he had just learned of it himself and he faxed me the directions on how to rewire my existing Drawtite harness. It was easy. Took five minutes. But, I haven't tried it out yet. The General could have made everyone's life a little easier if it had just let everyone know ahead of time.

Oh, well,
TC

stutzismydog
10-28-2002, 23:30
Well gentleman it looks like we all have the same problem because the General was to cheep to add the wiring harness as he had in previous years even after we bought the tailoring option. When I was informed that the harness was not supplied on the 03,I pulled the break controller and the supplied wiring harness from my 02 silverado1500 pickup when I traded for the 03 Chevy Duramax. I just plugged it into the junction box on the left side of the steering wheel area and thought that all was well....NOT SO! Thanks to the wonderful breaks on the truck and taking it easy because it is new, I did not realize that the trailer breaks were not working. We were going mostly up hill to the mountains so not much need for breaks. It was day light so all seamed OK till we entered a 500

C J Fairall
10-28-2002, 23:43
Gentlemen;
I went back to the shop and checked the TSB for the brake controller harness. The modification is to switch terminal A with terminal D . If these wires are not switched the brakes will come on when the headlights come on, ouch!
jim.

none
10-29-2002, 09:45
My 2003 GMC didnot have the brake harness. Salesman gave me one from a truck on the lot. Had an extra wire for illumination that had to be swapped with the red brake wire. Thought it was an assembly error. I use a Hayes Micro.

I would like to ask for help. I do not have any steering wheel buttons but I would like to access some of the "DIC" info in the computer. Any suggestions?

THANKS

Stage 1
10-29-2002, 14:47
The reason for the change may be that there is now an "industry standard" for connecting the brake controler to the truck, like we have for connecting a trailer to the truck??

keilb
11-01-2002, 05:34
When my 03 GMC arrived there was no cable. I got a cable for an 02 and swapped the two terminals after checking the pinouts on the truck with a voltmeter. It works perfectly with my Jordan brake controller. I see now that there is a TSB making this modification
"official". By the way there is a difference in the fuse between the 02 and the 03.

Hillbilly
11-01-2002, 16:49
Hi,
I kept my Tekonsha Sentinal from my '00 1500 Silverado and have it mounted under dash of my new '03 Silverado DMAX. I knew that the cable wiring was different, and from this and another forum it looks like the two wires need to be flip-flopped. Is this correct?
Now, what about fuse? Where, what size, any other thing to do?
Thanks be to this forum!
:rolleyes:

GDOG
11-04-2002, 15:20
Just for an update....I got the brake control harness from southwestwheel.com/brakecontroller.com and hooked it up and it appears to work fine. As stated previously the fuse is already installed from the factory. The nice thing about the harness is it plugs into the Prodigy controller and the fuse block and no wire splicing needed. While I haven't towed with it yet I did back up to the trailer and engaged the brakes and could here them 'humming' as normal and didn't receive any troubleshooting feedback from the controller so i'm assuming everything is alright. After I tow on Monday the 11th I'll post again if there are any problems.

Hillbilly
11-06-2002, 16:31
OK, this old fart is too big, fat, and ugly to squirm up under the dash like I used to when working on car radios about a 100 years ago!

I got the prodigy and 03 GM cable from Southwest Wheel in 2 days like they said.

Now where do I plug the blankety blank thing in?

Is that square box above where a clutch pedal used to be a fuse box to plug into? Or are you talking about the fuse access panel on the drivers end of the dash?

Upside down with bi-focals makes it hard to see.

HELP
:eek:

GDOG
11-06-2002, 18:08
Amen on that too old and the bifocal comment Hillbilly. Where your left foot would hit the firewall is a black box with one hand screw in the center. take that screw/nut off by hand. on the back of the cover is the wiring diagram. the plugin is the one in the middle top of the junction box. Just plug it in and route the wire wherever you wish. I put my controller on the right side of the dash above where my right knee would be. This allows easy access to the manual control, adjustments, readouts and visual contact (thru the bifocals of course.) tongue.gif

Hillbilly
11-06-2002, 18:35
Thanks GDOG

Just came in from mounting and pluging it in. Good thing the DMax is big enough for us full grown men to squirm around in.

DonG
11-12-2002, 12:33
After you have resolved the brake harness question, are you guys isolating the tow vehicle's batteries from the trailer batteries? If so, at what point are you breaking into GM's wiring harness to install an isolation system?

Thanks, Don

GMFAN70
11-12-2002, 14:53
Don

The only isolating I do is to disconnect the trailer from the truck if it's going to be parked for any length of time without "shore power". This is to prevent the trailer electrical load from discharging the truck batteries. While connected and towing, the truck alternator is charging the trailer batteries.

DonG
11-12-2002, 17:45
GMFAN70,
You are exactly right about when the trailer will pull down the truck's batteries. On my last GM truck, the RV dealer set up the isolation and I never had to worry about unplugging.
I guess I could learn to always unplug the truck.
For some reason GM is the only one of the three that does not automatically provide this isolation.
Don

mfontana
11-20-2002, 22:05
Just purchased the GMC part from the dealer.

GM part number 15085418 It includes the TRLR brake under-dash harness and a 7 to 4 converter for a trailer light hook up. Garage price of 51.00

Jelisfc
11-22-2002, 14:10
Ordered mine today for $31.58. I made sure the parts guy confirmed the 7 to 4 pin converter came with it.

Kennedy
11-22-2002, 17:11
I received two of the Prodigy controllers and two of the 2003 harnesses. Looks like they are complete plug/play with appropriate ends, BUT since I don't have an '03 here...

Husker Fan
11-25-2002, 08:58
I never had any of these problems. I bought the

4x4man
12-10-2002, 20:15
Well, you guys have saved me from the wiring changes with the 03. I swapped pins A and D on my 01 harness and metered and everything is cool there. As others, I have no power to the 12 volt lead out back due to the missing fuse under the hood.

The trouble I am having is locating this new style 40 amp fuse. Went to Napa, they've never seen it. Went to dealer, got my salesman and parts man checking it out, but the parts man was unable to locate it.

Does anyone have a gm part number for this new style fuse so I can get one?? The parts guy is going to call GM Tech in the morning and see what he can get. They were amazed at what GM has changed with this towing package now....

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks,
Bob

ct0218
12-10-2002, 21:21
My 03 didn't have the fuse either, so I stopped at the Advance/Discount Auto Parts stoe on my way home one day a picked one off the rack. Had plenty in all amps.

DmaxMaverick
12-11-2002, 01:05
OK. Now you guys got me curious. Although I don't have an immediate need, the curiousity remains.

How different are the "new" fuses compared to the '01/'02 fuses? If someone has seen, or has both, would you please give us a side by side description?

The fuses I have for my '01 is a MAXI fuse, Littlefuse brand (www.littlefuse.com), # 0MAX040XP (the "40" in the number is replaced for needed amperage).

Littlefuse also has an inline MAXI fuse block that can be used and is recommended for the replacement of fusible links (# 0MAB0001XP). I've done a couple of these and they seem to work well. Beats the heck out of splicing in those links, and they are easily replaced. Can't imagine why the OEM's didn't start out with these. If the "new" style is of better design, although I don't know how, other than maybe smaller, it may be worthwhile to use them in the future.

[On edit]
I did some searching on the Littlefuse site (excellent site). They list an OEM MAXI and an aftermarket MAXI. They are different in appearance, but according to them, are completely interchangeable in automotive applications. Perhaps this may shed some light? Hope it helps.

Cheers.

[ 12-11-2002: Message edited by: DmaxMaverick ]</p>

4x4man
12-11-2002, 07:52
ct0218-
Thanks for the info. I am going to try another Napa store as well, the one I went to was a smaller branch of the "real" store, I hope to have more luck today if the parts guy cannot get one.

DmaxMaverick-
While I am still trying to figure this fuse situation out myself, I can take a picture of the new style fuses when I get home today if you are interested.. The fuses are much smaller, maybe 3/8"x 3/8" square and maybe 1/2-3/4" high. There are no blades, the blades are in the fuse block itself, and the fuse pushes down over the blades.

Bob

[ 12-11-2002: Message edited by: 4x4man ]</p>

NoMo
12-11-2002, 11:41
DMaxMaverick-
The '03 fuse appears to be the "cartridge fuse" shown here:
http://www.littlefuse.com/ASP/Search/Detail.asp?id=514

4x4man
12-11-2002, 12:27
NoMo-
Yup that is exactly the style fuse I am after.

Called up the parts guy this morning he stated GM was no help, but they think they may have figured out what it is and have some on order. Cost is about $5.

Called the "main store" Napa and he told me they have three in stock for $3.23!! So my troubles will be over shortly!! WOOHOOO!!

Man I can't believe GM is leaving everyone out in the dark on this.... $47k truck and we can't even tow with 'em until we finished what they were too cheap to.. GRRRR

Oh well, really love the truck though, so it is hard to complain!! :D

Bob

NoMo
12-11-2002, 14:11
I too was really disappointed that the truck didn't come with a harness. However, since I knew what to change (thanks to this site), I talked the dealer out of a harness for an '01-'02. Unfortunately, it came with the "old" blade style fuse. I then talked their parts manager into trading me the blade fuse for the '03 style. He said the "new" fuses cost about $4 each. Hope they don't need replaced very often! :eek:

Jelisfc
12-11-2002, 14:12
Here's a good one. I bought the new GM harness for $25 and change. It did come with a 7 to 4 pin plug I needed anyway and the 40 amp fuse. The instructions say the fuse should be installed in trucks without dual batteries but not with. Of course unless you do have the fuse you won't have 12 vdc power for my inside lights. GM has totally dropped the ball with this in '03.

Just a little rant.

4x4man
12-11-2002, 17:09
Well just got the new fuse installed. Napa had the 40amp fuse I needed (just had to talk with the right person!!). The part number for anyone interested is 782-1118, cost was $3.29 plus tax.

Installed the fuse, and whatdya know, 12 volts to the plug out back!! I guess GM is still handing out incorrect instructions as I have the dual battery setup on my 03, and I didn't get 12 volt power until I installed the fuse.
Here are some pics for those that haven't had to do this yet:
http://www.webphotos.com/list_photos.asp?mi=3&smi=1&a=97210

Very frustrating indeed, but thanks to this site, I was able to fix the harness and get 12 volt power to the back to charge my trailers batteries before I tow my 5er and find out the hard way.
Thanks again everyone, once again this site has come through.

Bob

GDOG
12-13-2002, 19:10
4x4Man, thanks for the great pictures. i'm going to go out and check mine in the morning. it's raining too damned hard right now. I was so miffed about the lack of a brake harness i never thought about the power cable. Now, just so that I understand. this is the power that will charge your trailer battery while you drive...correct? I've only pulled once with my new one and not of any great lenght to see if the batteries would charge. I'll post again after I check to see if it came with my truck or not.

AbqGeorge
12-14-2002, 17:42
I had posted this under the Driveline section. Sorry for the multiple post, but some folks could use these part numbers. Here's my cut and paste.

Not having that harness come with my 2003 caused me three hours time and ran off about 40 break-in miles tracking it down (that was the good news).
The dealers are totally unprepared to supply this part. Two out of three dealers in Albuquerque did not have it. And this was after nearly 30 minutes at each one toe tapping while they tried to find the part number. Finally tracked it down. Cost me $36 !!! I'm requesting a refund from Chevy since page 4-90 of the owner's manual clearly states that the harness is included.

BTW, the part number is:

It's called the "Z82 - Glove Box Jumper"

For the life of me, I can't understand the logic of which fuses are installed from the factory and this was the same with both my '01 and the '03.

The fuse for the brake controller is installed at the factory (even though they no longer provide you with a harness to extract the juice). The B+ fuze to provide power to the seven pin socket was/is not (even though you are wired for it)????

I think the new fuse form factor will be better in the long run. It puts the part that could possible fatigue and wear out in the removeable/disposable portion (the fuse).

Runaway
12-15-2002, 09:45
Well this post has got my interest as I need to install my brake contoller this weekend (today) to prepare for a trip to Wyoming next week. I bought a harness from a local RV place here in the 'Bay right after buying the truck. Was going to install right away and well being busy I didn't get to it.

Now I'm rushing around trying to prepare for the trip and I'M SO CONFUSED BY THIS THREAD! Here's why...we are talking about swapping WIRES from pin A & D. The wiring harness I have is a Tekonsha harness and it has a plug on both ends. One (smaller 4 wire plug goes to a controler. The other has the plug that goes to the truck.

If everyone is talking about swapping WIRES around from pin A & D, the plug that has WIRES connected to pins A & D is the plug that goes to the controller (Pin A&gt;BLACK, pinD&gt;BLUE).

If everyone is talking about swapping WIRES on the truck plug, Pin A is red, Pin D is blank (ONLY 1 WIRE). Per STAGE 1's and C J FAIRALL posting, I moved the red wire to pin D on the TRUCK plug.(I tried looking at the pictures that stage 1 said was posted, but must have replaced them already).

Could someone please clarify for me. :confused:

Runaway
12-15-2002, 09:47
Well this post has got my interest as I need to install my brake contoller this weekend (today) to prepare for a trip to Wyoming next week. I bought a harness from a local RV place here in the 'Bay right after buying the truck. Was going to install right away and well being busy I didn't get to it.

Now I'm rushing around trying to prepare for the trip and I'M SO CONFUSED BY THIS THREAD! Here's why...we are talking about swapping WIRES from pin A & D. The wiring harness I have is a Tekonsha harness and it has a plug on both ends. One (smaller 4 wire plug goes to a controler. The other has the plug that goes to the truck.

If everyone is talking about swapping WIRES around from pin A & D, the plug that has WIRES connected to pins A & D is the plug that goes to the controller (Pin A&gt;BLACK, pinD&gt;BLUE).

If everyone is talking about swapping WIRES on the truck plug, Pin A is red, Pin D is blank (ONLY 1 WIRE). Per STAGE 1's and C J FAIRALL posting, I moved the red wire to pin D on the TRUCK plug.(I tried looking at the pictures that stage 1 said was posted, but must have replaced them already).

Could someone please clarify for me. :confused:

VA_Dmax
12-15-2002, 10:09
I just ordered the Prodigy from Southwest Wheel, and the harness for the 03 GM. It has a tag on it with "3015" on the brown plug end. I was told that it wouldnt take any wire swapping. I cant say for sure that it does work with no swapping, still waiting on the truck to get here.

Stage 1
12-15-2002, 10:17
Runaway,
I reposted a pic of truck plug end, hope this along w/ my earlier description of the wire locations in the plug will help. I purchased a new brake control harness for the 03' vs converting an older version. Therefor reluctant to say more about how it is done. All I can describe is what it looks like for an 03' harness. My harness was purchased from Southwest Wheel, JK also sells them now (I believe).

It plugs into a control/connection box on the firewall near the steering shaft inside the truck. The owners manual also provides a diagram for this control/connection box w/location for the brake control plug.

Hope this helps.

Runaway
12-15-2002, 10:47
Thanks Stage 1, my plug looked exactly like the one you posted, except it didn't have "3015" tag on it. By moving the red wire (pin A) to pin D, my plug is now configured like yours in the picture.

What was confusing me was all postings were stated WIRE(s) meaning two had to be swapped, but only one wire had to be repositioned.

Thanks for clarifying smile.gif

NoMo
12-15-2002, 13:20
The reason wires (two) were being discussed is because that is how many have to be moved on the factory supplied harness.

The missing wire on your harness and the ones from Southwestern Wheel is for controller lights which come on with dash lighting. Not too many (if any) Tekonsha controllers have this feature so they don't even put that wire in their harnesses.

[ 12-15-2002: Message edited by: NoMo ]</p>

GDOG
12-16-2002, 09:46
I'm the one that started this post and the wiring harness from Tekonsha works without switching pins on the '03s. All of that switching pins stuff was from people trying to use the '01 and '02 harness on an '03.

Anyway, on to this fuse thing. It says in the manual 'DO NOT INSTALL THE FUSE IN TRUCKS WITH DUAL BATTERIES'..........why? anybody know if there is any kind of detremental effect if you do?

NoMo
12-16-2002, 12:25
Pure speculation on my part:

I'd guess that by "dual batteries" they mean the dual battery option for gas engine trucks. I can think of a couple of reasons they might give such a warning.

Since the trucks don't seem to have an electrical isolator (there's always power to the trailer wiring), by installing the fuse, you would allow the cranking battery (vs the auxiliary battery) to discharge with trailer use.

Or, since there has to be an alternate trailer power path with the dual battery option, installing the fuse may cause 24V instead of 12V to be placed on the wire.

Again, this is just pure speculation! :confused:

4x4man
12-16-2002, 20:29
GDOG-

Sorry I didn't get to answer you earlier...
On the fuse, the 40 amp fuse for Stud #1 is what sends 12 volt power to the plug(s). Without this fuse installed, you will not be charging your trailer batteries. You can test this by metering the positive terminal in the plug under the bumper. If you do not get 12 volts, then you are in the same situation as us...you will find that it is dead without the fuse.

On the dual battery thing, I believe GM is wrong. I have the dual battery setup on my DMAX and I do not get 12 volt power to the plug without the fuse installed.
The only downfall is the 12 volt is constant not switched. On my 2001 it was switched, of course it could have been the way the trailer dealership wired the truck because my truck did not have the camper/5er wiring provisions for the bed so they had to splice wires...
Thankfully my 2003 came with the camper/5er wiring provision....much easier to wire in the bed plug.

Let me know if I can help any further.

Bob

GDOG
12-17-2002, 09:12
Thanks for the reply. I did check and I have the dummy block in the fuse location. I was concerned when I read the manual and didn't want to damage anything. I guess this is why my trailer batteries didn't charge during the first tow. They weren't exactly at 100% when I left and even though I only went about 150 miles I expected them to be fully charged. Anyway, thanks again.

wxmn6
12-21-2002, 20:56
I probably overlooked somewhere in this thread, but where can I get a harness that will work with Jordan Ultima 2020 brake controller on 2003 Chevy 2500HD? Not the harness that Southwestwheel.com have for Priodgy brake controller. My father is getting the '03 and will need the harness. Thanks.

[ 12-21-2002: Message edited by: wxmn6 ]</p>

VaDmax2003
12-26-2002, 05:39
I have been a lurker here (non member) since early 2001 when I decided to get a Dmax and it finally arrived in November. I recently had my Prodigy brake controller instaled and this thread was VERY helpful both in pointing out the wiring harness change for 2003 as well as how to make my 12V trailer feed live. I got my harness from Camping World but only after checking with Teknosha concerning the correct part number (3015) as the CW site only specifies a "GM" harness. It took a phone call to CW to tell them the part number which was listed on an "update sheet" but not in their inventory computer, nor listed as such on their web site. The second very helpful aspect of this board and thread was on how to get 12V to the trailer as the Chevy owners manual decribes a non existent (to me and the installer who does this full time) terminal on the passenger side and engine side firewall. It was only the postings here about replacing the dummy fuse with a 40 V fuse from NAPA that saved the day. I have subsequently become a member.