PDA

View Full Version : Fog/Running lights

ChopperBill
08-16-2002, 18:22
My new "03" GMC D/A came without the lights in the air dam. It just has two holes that look like mini walffle irons. Starting to bug the hell out of me and the dealer cant find any accessory lights that will fit in those holes(no books out yet). Anyone have any suggestion where to look?

mattb5150
09-29-2002, 21:53
I just ordered a set of Pilot PL-133(B) fog lights from spiderautomotive.com. I found these on the Pilot website and they are suppossed to be OE replacement lights for Chevy and GMC. They were $149, I hope they are worth it. I will post when they come in to report on how they mount and work.

Matt B.

[ 09-29-2002: Message edited by: mattb5150 ]</p>

DMAX Daddy
09-29-2002, 23:24
Matt and Bill

The Chevy 03 lights are slightly different (see sig pic). Check them out first, the hole and mounting might be the same.

mattb5150
10-01-2002, 22:40
Dmax Daddy,

You're right, the ones I ordered will only work up to '02 Chevy and GMC, didn't know there were knew ones. Infact now that I think about it the GMC '03 fog lights are round.

Matt B.

conradv
10-01-2002, 23:13
yep - the 2003 GMC fog lights look GREAT - but the deleted fog lights are not pretty.

Kennedy
10-02-2002, 08:35
Matt,

Keep us posted! I'd like something that actually works as well...

TxDoc
10-02-2002, 11:59
Four-inch round on GMC, 2003.

mattb5150
10-04-2002, 22:33
Got them on Thurs. great service from Spider Perfomance. I ordered on Sunday and they were at my mail box(San Jose, CA) that fast from Ohio, shipped Priority Mail for $12.40(tag on box) and they only charged me $8.

Mounts are great. Thick sheet metal mounts that use stock mounting location on the bumper. I will install when wife brings truck home from dog show this weekend. Lights seem okay not the greatest quality upon inspection (If they were $49 instead of $149 I think it would be closer to quality). Will report on how they actually work later. They are rectangular in shape, do not have rounded end like stock ones, you can see a picture on spiders website. They are remote control turn on and off. I want to use stock wiring and switch but the lights use bullet connectors at the end of a four inch wire lead. I will try to find weather tight connectors and replace bullets so I don't cut stock wires if possible. Anyone suggest a source for the weather tight connectors?

Matt B.

zip
10-06-2002, 16:44
Matt--
I don't know how far Sacramento is from you, but
there's an auto supply house called Tognotti's Auto World there. They carry weather tight connectors. http://www.tognottisautoworld.com/Products/MSD/92.asp
zip

[ 10-06-2002: Message edited by: zip ]

If the web site thing doesn't work out, the connectors are made by Deutsch.

[ 10-06-2002: Message edited by: zip ]</p>

mattb5150
10-18-2002, 00:41
Well I'm an idiot. Mdrag told us all at one time that the PIAA air dam for the Chevy's won't fit the GMC's and I forgot, must be that these fog lights won't fit either cause they don't. I assumed that the lights for the Chevy would fit the GMC. If anyone who has a Chevy would like to try these on their truck let me know and I'll ship them to you. How about you Kennedy? If you like 'em maybe we could work out a trade for a headlight harness or something?

Matt B.

Kennedy
10-18-2002, 22:16
Do you have any pics?

mattb5150
10-19-2002, 11:25
John,

Check this site http://www.pilotautomotive.com/pilot2bd.htm

Matt B.

mattb5150
10-27-2002, 11:47
Any other '01-'02 Chevy guys want to try these out? Now when I see Chevy's and GMC's driving down the road I notice the spacing from the bottom of the Chrome on the bumper to the top of the fog lights is much greater on the Chevy's. They have about the same thickness as the lights themselves on the airdam and the GMC's only have about 1/2" that's the problem with these lights not fitting the GMC.

Matt B.

Fatdaddy
10-29-2002, 14:32
Matt, I sent you an email about the fog lights. I am interested.

ChopperBill
10-29-2002, 18:50
Hey! What about my "03" GMC? I dont even care if they work. Want to fill up those dog ugly holes. Dealer has no after sale option and the parts dept. want $80 each for the mounting "buckets"! Was going to glue a lens in the hole because I was getting desperate but cant find any that size.

mackin
10-29-2002, 19:13
ChopperBill

If the opening is 4" round,have you looked at the Piaa 510 series??? They are 3 15/16 lens housing - diameter.....They come with all different mounting brackets and hardware....

MAC

ChopperBill
10-29-2002, 22:51
Thanks Mackin I'll check them out. Hope the dont cost an arm and a leg.

ChopperBill
10-29-2002, 23:05
Oops! Over $200! Guess I'll just let GM give me the screwing. :rolleyes:

mackin
10-30-2002, 11:37
Choperbill

Nah=&gt;http://www.central4wd.com/store/itemdetail.asp?ID=760

Free shipping too !!!!!!! :eek:

They'll be better than any screwing you receive from GM......

MAC :D

[ 10-30-2002: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

mattb5150
11-06-2002, 09:37
The Pilots I have are still available if someone wants to try them out.

Matt B.

mattb5150
11-26-2002, 00:21
Well I had no takers on the lights so I modified the brackets and installed them this weekend, worked pretty well. I just cut the brackets in half on the surface that drops them down from the bottom of the bumper, overlapped the halves and the drop was perfect. Then I slid the lower half 3/4" inboard and drilled two holes thru each piece and bolted together, voila! Now for the connectors??????

Matt B.

FisHn2DMax
11-26-2002, 01:06
Chopper Bill,

I have an 03 GMC with the worthless factory fogs!
The OEM's just don't work well in heavy fog. Not enough power, the beam width/focus, and light color/temp is all wrong for a true fog light. From what I've read on this forum, If you try to put in higher power bulbs, it will just melt the cheap light housing.

I'm planning to replace my stock fog lights with a set of REAL fog lights. I haven't decided yet between PIAA or KC's, they both have units that are almost a perfect fit for the 03 GMC and with much more fog cutting ability! I also found some really good 3.75" round Bosch fog lights that should fit with some minor mounting modifications. If you haven't found some lights by the time I get around to changing mine, your welcome to them.

Good Luck! :D

Kennedy
11-26-2002, 20:11
Matt,

Let us know how they perform!

mattb5150
11-29-2002, 00:53
Well they're wired and aimed per the PIAA website. I like the amount of light they put out compared to the stock lights. The bulbs are rated at 50 watts. I have the fog lights with the yellow beam and the light they throw is yellow. Haven't tried them in any fog yet. Other than that don't know what else to report.

Matt B.

ChopperBill
12-03-2002, 16:19
FisHn2DMax: Did you ever replace those fog lights in your "03" GMC. If so I would be interested in your take offs. I just want to fill the holes where those god-awful "waffle Irons" are.

mattb5150
12-03-2002, 23:47
Check out pictures of installed lights at http://www.picturetrail.com/northernlights

Matt B.

Kennedy
12-04-2002, 23:21
From the picture it is hard to see detail, but they look like they fill the openings well.

How do they perform?

ChopperBill
12-05-2002, 08:32
FisHn2DMax: stil no word if you want to sell your old fogs.

FisHn2DMax
12-13-2002, 02:23
Chopper Bill,

I've decided on new PIAA fog lights. They were delivered by UPS yesterday, I just haven't had time to install or try them out yet. TBH, I probably won't have time until the end of the month between the holidays. If your still interested, I'll e-mail you when the OEM take off's are taken out. I hope the PIAA'a do the job? They should based on their Spec's, but you know that story? If the Piaa's don't work out as planned , I have another source on some real high end Bosch fog's that look perfect! Either way, I'm changing from stock, just haven't had time to play with this yet. I know you want to fill those ugly can holes, I don't blame you, I would! However, if you ever run into dense dangerous fog conditions ( like I do up here in the mountain valleys during the winter), the stock OEM's are just totally pathetic. If you can at all afford it, look into upgrading to PIAA, Hela, Bosch, KC, all have better round fog's or driving lights that actually do something besides fill a bumber hole!
G.S.

P.S. If your just looking for Driving lamps, My Brother just filled his 2003 "can holes" with some "KC" driving lights that where a perfect fit. I saw some KC lights on a dealer show room 2003 GMC truck and they did look great! If you're looking for driving lamps, this would be the way to go for good looking an inexpensive functional driving lamps (60 watts)!

tongue.gif

ChopperBill
12-13-2002, 17:28
FisHn2DMax
Keep in touch on the take offs. If your brother has a model number on the KC's that would be nice. I havent found a thing that would fit perfect yet. Thanks