PDA

View Full Version : Temp Guage question

LTD1963
11-12-2004, 10:03
I have a strange question. I just bought my 94 Yukon. When I first got it the temperature guage on the dash never seened to go over 150 degrees.
I've been fixing a few things on the vehicle and figured while I was at it I would replace the stat. I replaced it with a RobertShaw 190 degree stat. My temp guage now stays constant at 150/160 when warm. My question is do you think the temp sensor in the block needs replaced or could it be the guage its self. Has anyone seen their temp guage show the incorrect Temp and which did you replace to fix it? Thanks

JohnC
11-12-2004, 13:17
My '93 had the same dash as your '94 and always seemed to read really low. The '95 seems a lot more accurate. I think they're mostly just marked differently.

curmudge1
11-17-2004, 10:29
My '94 Blazer 6.5 TD (same vehicle as your Yukon, just a different label) always reads about 190-195, after warm up, even on the hottest days, idling in traffic, A/C on, or during the coldest winter day. If it didn't register lower before warm-up, I would suspect it to be broken. Has always been thus, since I bought it used at 65K miles in 98, now it has 244 miles. 2-3 different Tstats later, too.

cruzer
11-17-2004, 10:39
GM gauges are known to be less than accurate.
I run the stk gauges and mech aftermarkets too. The discreprency is amazing. Do a "search" to find out more.

Ken

john8662
11-17-2004, 13:01
Most GM gauges are only close, and I think this is for several reasons. First, the sender could be inaccurate. I would first have the truck scanned with a GM tech 1 tool to see what the computer is actually seeing. If what the computer is saying is quite a bit off from where the inside gauge reads, then suspect the gauge. I know the 95+ gauges, the needles are removable, so if you find that the sensor is good (from a scan tool) then you might tweak your gauge, because the inside gauge is just an indicator anyways. I had to help a friend set his gauges on his tahoe when he changed the backpanel out to an aftermarket one for a cool look. So now I can see how these gauges can only be close, even if the sender is accurate.

HowieE
11-17-2004, 14:26
A local Ford stealer had a customer that bought a new pickup. On his way home the temperature guage went above 220 degrees. He took it in for warranty work and the stealer bent the needle so it would not read high again.

Try bending the needle.

LTD1963
11-18-2004, 12:04
Ok I think I get the picture. Dont worry so much about it. Or get a after market Temp guage. Thanks for the help.