PDA

View Full Version : Transfer Flow Fits Around the Fuel Cooler?

AbqGeorge
06-30-2003, 23:07
After getting local quotes of $1500 to $1800 to replace the 26 gallon OEM with a Transfer Flow 45 gallon midship replacement diesel fuel tank, I decided to tackle the job in my driveway.

I ordered the tank about four weeks ago. They said it would ship on Jun 24th. Apparently it did since it arrived in Albuquerque on Friday the 27th.

It took me about five hours to do the install. Very good instructions and very complete, well designed install kit. I guess I never really stared closely at the picture of the tank on their (Transfer Flow's) website. If you do, that "V-Notch" in the tank is designed to clear the fuel cooler in the return line with the result of totally surrounding the cooler in the fore/aft direction. This sure does block the normal air flow that I'm sure exists on the OEM setup. Could this result in less than adequate cooling of the returned fuel? Perhaps there's enough turbulent air flow in and around the cooler that it doesn't matter? Why do they cool this fuel, anyway? Is it to prevent the tank from getting so hot that the plastic melts (on the OEM tank)?

George, but-it's-a-dry-heat Albuquerque

mdrag
07-01-2003, 08:29
AbqGeorge,

I have the 56 gal TFI tank on my '01 CC dually. There are pics of the tank/install at the 2nd link in my sig.

The diesel fuel is used to cool the underhood electronics that control the fuel injection system - hence the fuel cooler. The TFI tank surronds the fuel cooler front/back as you noted, with both sides open. I questioned Ben at TFI whether this would have any adverse effects on the fuel cooler's performance and was assured it would not. Mine has been on for about 1.5 years with no problems.

TSimpler
07-01-2003, 22:42
AbqGeorge,

I sure would like to get a look-see at that tank you just installed; I live in the East Mountains so you

AbqGeorge
07-02-2003, 21:25
Well, just talked to Trent.

Nice to know a fellow Duramax owner here in Albuquerque.

We'll get together tomorrow and share some tales thanks to TheDieselPage.