PDA

View Full Version : XMRadio Installation Questions

hjd3021
04-23-2003, 12:23
Has anyone installed an XM radio such as Delphi that can use an optional FM converter that installs in the antenna line. The device also provides the 12 to 6 V power, etc to the radio. Was wondering how the access is to get to the antenna at the rear of the radio and where you picked up switched 12V power for the feed. I know the radio removes from the front but on other GM vehicles in the past found that the wires on the rear were so short you could not get it removed!

3-Fan
04-23-2003, 15:02
I had installed my Sony XM DRN plug and play radio with the FM modulator. Getting to the antenna feed in the back of the radio was no problem. Just slide the radio out and it is attached to the back of the head unit. Not much room to play with it though. I had to buy 2 adaptors to adapt GM's antenna to the XM antenna input/outputs. I got them at Circuit City for like $10 each. This give you more slack in the line. I mounted the FM modulator behind the cover right below the cigarette lighters. Pull 2 or 4 screws and it comes right off. I velcroed it in there.

I got my switched 12V power from the fuse panel on the DS door panel. Bought a mini-add-a-fuse from NAPA (Autozone is cheaper). This I "T"ed into the radio fuse so had power when the radio had power. Pretty easy setup.

I have since changed things around. Main reason was I was getting alot of interference between my CB and the XM radio. SO I bought an adaptor made by PIE called a GM9-AUX

http://www.jpcustoms.com/Productpages/GM9-AUX.html

This will plug into the back of your stock GM radio (provided you don;t have a cd changer in there now or aux tape deck) and provide a set of RCA jacks. I bought a 2.5mm or 3.5 mm male plug to male RCA jacks and plgged my XM right into this PIE connector. Alls I do now is hit my cd/aux button on my radio and I have direct digitial feed from my XM radio into my head unit instead of FM modulated sounds. Much clearer sound and no interference problems with my CB any more.

If you have an aux. unit already plugged into your headunit, JP customs has another adaptor that you can buy so you can choose from the which aux. source you want to use.

If oyu have any more questions, I'll be glad to answer for you.

wyliehd
04-23-2003, 20:03
I have the Pioneer XM unit and i found that there ia a antenna cable connector that is behind the glove box just above the HVAC. That is where i put the FM modulator box with the adapters that i got at walmart.