PDA

View Full Version : Aux. light switch?

mackey_62
10-21-2002, 05:55
Looking for a place to power my rooftop plow beacon. I know cargo light is probably easiest tap. That Aux. light switch has my attention though, no fogs on my truck, gotta use that switch for something.
How are you guys powering yours?
Also, was talking to a guy who installed his own fogs, had evrything hooked up right, but had to have dealer reprogram something to get them to work? So, is Aux. light switch inactive without reprogram? Don't want to pay stealer $40 for that if I can get away with cargo light.

Can't wait to see how this beast pushes snow :D

IndigoDually
10-21-2002, 12:46
I remember reading that there is a wire floating around in the headliner that the switch powers. It was included in the plow prep package. I believe that Maverick used this for his rooftop strobe.

John

[ 10-21-2002: Message edited by: IndigoDually ]</p>

JF
10-21-2002, 16:55
Aux. light switch is set up for plow lights,etc. Wire is under headliner, and switch is active without any dealer re-programming. I used it to power strobe lights located in tail-light lense in rear, and parking lights in front. Was going to mount a small plow beacon on roof, but found that sheet metal is so thin and flexes if you touch it (extended cab), that I was afraid of rattling.

For factory fog lights, after install (all wiring harnesses were already in place), computer must be re-programmed to acknowledge that they are there. Ten minute job at dealer, cost me $35.00.

Hope this info helpful.

Jeff

Maverick
10-21-2002, 18:27
Mackey_62,

So you say you have the aux switch by the air bag switch?

If so pull the drivers side rubber seal down right in the middle. Don't pull the headliner down real far as it is held up with a magnet in that location. If it gets warped the magnet won't stick when you put it together. Take a look under the liner and you will see the wires sitting there. 2 wires-brown is + and black is -.
I drilled a hole in my cargo light and fished the wires through and siliconed it up. Pics here:

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?p=999&gid=551338&uid=437876

mackey_62
10-22-2002, 07:02
Thanks guys.

Yup, I got the plow package and Aux light switch.

Gonna make this project a little faster knowing where to look. :D

[ 10-22-2002: Message edited by: mackey_62 ]</p>