PDA

View Full Version : 2003 OEM radio has low receiver sensitivity

Jack's Dmax
09-04-2003, 00:28
I am wondering if others have had any success with getting their OEM radios replaced due to poor reception? I live at least 50 miles from the nearest FM station transmitter and it is obvious that this radio has a hearing problem. Especially when compared to others that I have used.

Thank you,

Jack

FisHn2DMax
09-04-2003, 00:53
I'm on my second bose am-fm XM / 6 changer receiver and it did NOT solve the poor FM reception problem. If you find a solution let us all know! Based on my previous posts, it seems there are number of 2003 owners with the same poor FM reception problem. My FM reception is totally pathetic! Everyone of my other vehicles can pick up FM stations, but not my New truck?

Dealer has no idea of what to do next? We even changed the antenna assembly, with no luck.

Lonewolf867
09-04-2003, 07:36
I had problem with my 2000 z71. I finally had to replace the antenna cable. After replacing the cable and mount the thing worked GREAT. Might want to give that a try.

Max Power
09-04-2003, 08:01
It could be something electrical causing the problem. I had a motorola 3 watt booster for my cell phone in my truck that cut my reception in half.

DieselDixon
09-04-2003, 09:49
I live in the SF bay area and my reception sucks too. I find it amazing that a station, which is only 20 miles away, has static on it. Sure am glad I got the XM radio, I listen to that 90% of the time, so I don't bother with the radio.

AbqGeorge
09-04-2003, 21:25
I read somewhere that the radio is also communicating on the bus and that adjustments like antenna tuning, etc are made using the dealerships TECHII. I seem to recall someone saying they took their vehicle in, dealer hooked up the TechII, made some adjustments and it now worked like a champ.

I wish someone would do some serious reverse engineering on the TECHII and make an affordable one for the masses (us!).

tophog
09-04-2003, 21:50
The reception in my 03 was also sub-par. Recently I installed one of those 21" polished billet antennas because my OEM antenna hit everytime I entered garage due to lift ... and my reception actually improved considerably. I was expecting even poorer reception due to the decreased height ... While I don't think my reception is perfect, I do pull in stations clearly now whereas before there was lots of static.

Jack's Dmax
09-07-2003, 14:39
Thanks to all that have contributed their experiances. I think that I will discuss this with my dealers service department to see if they have any information about this problem.

I wonder if this is a problemn for the 2003 radios only ?

Thanks,

Jack

[ 09-07-2003, 02:51 PM: Message edited by: Jack's Dmax ]

matt-max
09-07-2003, 19:18
my 2001 pulled stations in great

the 2003 won't do it

i have the bose w/6-disc and xm and have heard it is the only one with problems

dealer checked it out and said it was fine but it clearly is not

any known fixes out there?

matt

Jack's Dmax
09-12-2003, 20:31
Brought my truck in the dealer today and they have ordered a new radio. Stay "Tuned" for further details. I would guess that it will be at least 10 days until the new radio arrives.

Jack

ochster
09-17-2003, 16:51
The standard radio/CD in my new 03', is a letdown compared to my 95'GMC offering.