PDA

View Full Version : RCD 6"/315's overall height

tophog
06-25-2003, 17:36
I've decided on the RCD 6" lift for my 03 and will have to buy tires/16x8 wheels of which I am undecided on at the moment.

The issue is trying to figure out if I can run 315's and have it fit in the garage. It will be close and may have to back down one tire size or so or re-think the lift altogether.

I need to clear 82" ... right now I have about 8-9 inches to spare with 265 tires and torsion bars cranked up about 1.5".

Anyone know what their bedrail height is or some other fixed measurement I can use to compare? Would hate to drive home and get stuck in garage smile.gif

VWLURE
06-25-2003, 20:11
My truck comes to 7'1" at the top of the roof on the cab. I hope this helps.

tophog
06-25-2003, 21:36
Originally posted by VWLURE:
My truck comes to 7'1" at the top of the roof on the cab. I hope this helps. Thanks. That certainly helps ... helps me realize there is no way I can do the 6" lift with 315's. Darn. :(

Professor
06-26-2003, 05:36
4" lift and 305s or a 3" lift for your Garage!

ratlover
06-26-2003, 07:12
Could always air down to get in and then air up in the morning before work. A small price to pay to look :cool: tongue.gif smile.gif

On a serious note, make sure you post pics when you get her done smile.gif

tophog
06-26-2003, 07:40
I'm trying to figure out where my math is off or perhaps the RCD lifts are more then 6" etc. I have about 8-9" extra space now from the top of my truck to the top of the garage opening. This is with 265 tires and t-bars cranked up about 1 inch.

Assuming 6" lift is a 6" lift would leave me 2-3" inches clearance. Then add 315 tires of which the online tire/wheel calc. show approx. 2.95" taller then the 265's I'm running now. This should leave me about 0.05" of clearance smile.gif

Would 295/75R16's look too small with a 6" lift? They are about 1" shorter then the 315's ... just trying to figure out a way to go 6" because I don't necessarily like the only 4" lift available by Rancho ... (based strictly on picts I've seen of it)

Ideas?

DinoMax
06-26-2003, 08:59
Tophog, I have a 6" Superlift and 315's, and my measurements are very close to VWLURE's. Approx. 61 1/2 " @ top of bedrails, and another 23'' to top of cab. IMO, the 295's will leave the wheelwells lookin' awfully empty w/ the 6" lift, but would probably let you just squeak by. These trucks look really good w/ the 6" & 315's, so go w/ Professors idea & lift that garage 3" tongue.gif DinoMax

tophog
06-26-2003, 10:51
Wouldn't the difference in bed rail heights be an accurate measurement to determine how much higher my truck would be lifted with 35's?

For example, if I have 9" of clearance now and the difference between my current bedrail height and a lifted truck was 8.5" ... seems that would tell me I would clear by 0.5" ... assuming the bed heights on trucks are nearly identical from the factory?

I think getting an accurate ground to roof-top measurement is difficult ... can't really measure perpendicular from ground ... on crew cabs the roofs are ribbed, etc. I think the bedrail measurements are probably the best ... or measurements of guy's garage door openings that have lifted trucks that fit.

I can't make any garage door mods ... newer house with 3-car brick-faced garage. :( Believe me, if I could I would have already broken out the chain saw. smile.gif

ratlover
06-26-2003, 11:20
So go down? Go at the concrete with a sledge. Lower the base and repour part of the floor lower. I'm not seeing a problem here tongue.gif I'm sure your better 1/2 might grill you for busting up a good peice of concrete though :rolleyes:

DinoMax
06-26-2003, 17:48
Tophog, bed rail height measurement should do it. What is your stock bedrail height? I never measured mine before the lift, so don't know what it should be. You can measure cab height by laying something flat across the roof that will stick out on one side, and measure from the ground to that. Keep in mind though, not all lifts are the same, and not exactly, 4", 6", etc., which will affect overall height. Tire brand, tread pattern, and air pressures will also be slightly different from one to another, and although minimal, will make a slight difference when your cutting it as close as you are. BTW, how do find room in the garage to fit an HD? Please send pic's, as mine is FOS, and my truck has to live outside :rolleyes: tongue.gif smile.gif Just kidding about the pic's :D Good Luck, I hope you can find a way to make it all work out. DinoMax

Professor
06-26-2003, 18:50
Don't forget "most" lift kits will only raise the front the rated amount. Lifted trucks are usually closer to being level. I'd say a 6" kit is usually closer to 4" in the rear.

tophog
06-26-2003, 23:52
My bedrail height directly behind the cab is 54 1/4" ... 54 1/2" at rear as the front is still about 1.5" lower then rear. I do have the t-bars cranked a little now raising the front about 1.5" and 265/75R16 BF KO's mounted so it probably sits up a little higher then stock. This is why I think a 6" lift will actually be like 5" or so because I have the front raised a little now. I'll probably flip a coin and go with the call. I think the shop will let me do 315's and go a little smaller tire if needed but then again the look won't be there.