PDA

View Full Version : Sylvania Silverstars

TxDoc
10-17-2002, 20:24
I am running the Sylvania SilverStars--http://www.sylvania.com/auto/silverstar.htm

If you are next to a car with convention halogens and it is dark, you just think.."wow". They seem to throw a lot of light at upcoming reflective signs, like on the Interstate, and roadside reflectors. It appears my lights are lighting the signs and reflectors ahead of cars in front of me! I have not had anyone flash their high beams at me, but once. The amount of light is great. With Kennedy's Headlight Harness, it is fantastic. If you are thinking of upgrading your bulbs, these are aroung $25.00 each. But, they are worth it. I would do it again.

BKoopman
10-18-2002, 14:16
TxDOc,

I totally agree with you about these bulbs. I have the Sylvania XENARC HID headlights but the HID is for the lows only. I have the SilverStars in for my highs. I have also replaced my wife's Yukon XL bulbs (high/low) with these. It does make a world of difference compared to the stock halogens. smile.gif

mtomac
10-18-2002, 17:13
Are the Sylvania XENARC HID's worth the money? I see they have come down to $700, from $900 for the headlights. The HID foglights are and $450 now.

[ 10-18-2002: Message edited by: Micheal Tomac ]</p>

BKoopman
10-18-2002, 17:19
In my opinion yes but I have not tried Kennedy's harness or higher wattage bulbs. These headlights have a horizontal cutoff designed into them so that you don't blind people. Actually you can get the headlights for $650 now.

Stage 1
10-18-2002, 18:09
Really good news to learn that the Silvania "SilverStars" work well, are they for both low and high beams for 2003 Sierra? And do you know what the bulb part number is? I have been looking at them as a possible upgrade. How do they compare to the standard equipment lights.

Also does the Denali have the HID light system as std. equipment, and if so, is the HID only low beams or both low and high? Can you use the HID from the Denali on a Sierra?

TxDoc
10-18-2002, 18:18
2003---
high beam 9005
low beam 9006
I have never heard that the GMC Sierra Denali has HID lighting. I would be quite surprised to hear this.
Here is a link with info on adding them to the Sierra by someone who did:
http://www.gm-trucks.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?s=09a459360d382cf5a46addc55592811e;a ct=ST;f=12;t=11547

The SilverStars are readily available at Advance Auto Parts, AutoZone, etc. I was about to order on the net and kinda liked the ease of replacement at a common parts store.

Here is a link with some HID conversion discussion by someone with some experience, and pics, too:

http://www.gm-trucks.com/cgi-bin/ib3/ikonboard.cgi?s=f16fdcf81eaa7a5bdaaa6db56b3**185;a ct=ST;f=12;t=9127

Stage 1
10-18-2002, 19:02
TxDoc,

I was looking at the Yukon Denali on the GMC web site, along w/2003 brochure and thought it looked like they have different headlights, and sort of looked like HID?

thanks for the information,

mtomac
10-18-2002, 19:26
I bought a set of silverstars. After installing them the left side high and a low beam looked more blue than the right side high and low. So I switched the low beam bulbs around and now I have a bluer high beam on one side and a bluer low beam on the other side? WTF

TxDoc
10-18-2002, 21:41
You may check your voltage and harness ground with a multimeter-volts reaching the end of the harness and ohm meter to check ground.

FirstDiesel
10-19-2002, 17:51
Anyone interested there is a rebate coupon available for these at this url.

http://www.autobarn.com/rebate/SylvanSS.pdf

10/pair

Kennedy
10-20-2002, 18:13
Whenever one tints or coats a bulb, the light is supressed. The tint in this case alters the color output, and I will assume that Xenon gas intensifies the light, but IMHO there is still no substitute for wattage.

It is my understanding that the Denali uses all 4 9005 light bulbs and adds a projector type reflector on the low beam. There also may be a change in wiring pinouts at the lamp as we did a special HB kit and the 4 light function is not working properly at the moment. Shouldn't be too difficult to figure out. Can you say 400 watts? :eek: ....

Stage 1
10-21-2002, 10:38
Hi John,

I have completed a little more research on installing the Denali headlight conversion.
The headlight bulb connectors are different on the Denali vs Sierra. The following information is from an 03 Yukon XL Denali:
o headlight wiring harness numbers on the sockets
"H2 H2
18" 11"

The sierra numbers are G2
18 and the other socket did not have a number printed on it. One of the wiring harness sockets looks different.

Will they fit? I have been told this by parts person that they have been installed. Do not know if they are a direct install or if modifications are needed. What I know for 03' Sierra vs Denali:
o hoods have the same part number;
o core support has the same part number;
o fenders and grill have a differnt part number
( did a test pattern to compare the Denali fender to Sierra at the outer headlight vertical line, they appear to be the same or very close. The grill inside vertical line appeares to be the same or very close)
My prliminary assessmet is that they will fit and clip onto Sierra core support. I plan to buy a set and try them.
Note: The outside front line of the headlight is larger then the stock headlights, they project further out from the hood by about a 1/4 to 3/8 of an inch.
Currently checking to see if the 2001-02 part numbers are the same for 03.

mfontana
10-21-2002, 11:07
Stage1: It sounds like you have a good source for interchange information. I would like to use a Denali bed on a 2500hd short bed. I like the flared wheel wells. I realize they are flared because of the rear steering and I don't have it on my 2500 hd but , I like the looks of it. I could get one locally from a salvage yard. Any thoughts.

HDLD
10-21-2002, 15:47
FWIW, I wouldn't think the Xenarc HID X2020 kit would fit the 2003 Silverado's.

They say 1999+ but I don't think they've adjusted yet for the nuances of the 2003 model year.

I think the claim is up to 20% more luminance with the SilverStar's over other Halogens. No idea how that compares to the bulbs in a stock 25/3500HD. The SilverStar's are what you get in the high beams of the HID kit (i.e. HID on low beam only). I'd almost prefer the option of simply swapping in my existing high beam bulb since you wouldn't be using your high's much anyway. If this saved another 100.00, the interest levels would probably pick up quite a bit.

Anyone know where to get the SilverStar's cheaply in Canada? (Toronto/Etobicoke/Mississauga) It's 25.00 shipping from the AutoBarn yet I'm probably closer than many of their clients! :(

Update: www.buytruckstuff.com has the HID's for 569.95 or 537.50 if you order 2.
www.buytruckstuff.com/product.asp?selcategory=26&p_gpID=80

[ 10-21-2002: Message edited by: HDLD ]</p>

Kennedy
10-21-2002, 16:45
Stage 1,

From waht I can tell, the Denali/Projector lights use all 4 9005 (high beam) bulbs. What MAY be changed is the pinout or basically the polarity of the wires. If you follow the other thread in the Drivetrain, I have a guy working on this now.

I have a hunch that he may simply have some plug ins crossed as the High and Low are now interchangeable on this setup. The std setup is "keyed" as the plugs for 9005 differ from 9006 lamps.

Long and short is: If you UPGRADE to the Denali lights, you'll need to let me know so I can have all 4 OUTPUT connectors set up to accept 9005 lamps if that is what you want to run.

FWIW, the 9005 has no "dabbing" of reflective gunk on the tip. The projector lense uses a reflector to shoot the light back off the main reflector.

If you are looking for DOT compliant bulbs, the Siverstars are probably quite good, but they will not compare to the 70w and 100w Phillips which are $17.50ea by the way.

Stage 1
10-21-2002, 18:01
mfontana,

I just have to do research, do have one source for this information. Couple of suggestions are:
o Obviously you will find out a lot if you could have the two different trucks side-by-side to compare;( I often go to the dealer and look at the truck, or new car auto shows0
o Often body repair manuals/computer software provide helpful information including part numbers.( you could look at the two trucks to see if the frames are the same part number, use the same body mount cushions, etc.)
o another source provided previously on the forum, may help you, it has a lot of information including frame diagrams, it is http://www.gmupfitter.com. At this site you will find a publication that provides a lot of information details on our trucks.

Hope this helps,

Stage 1
10-21-2002, 18:14
John,

Thanks for the information. I agree that the Denali sockets look like they were both the same.
Will get back to you soon on ordering the conversion harness and lights. Today I ordered the projector headlight fixtures, once I receive them, will proceed. On the Phillips bulbs, do you know what their color index is ( it is a number like 3000,3600, or 4100)?

Maverick
10-21-2002, 18:44
Kennedy,

Can you make your harness work with my snow plow harness? My harness takes my individual headlights and puts them into one sealed beam light with a high and a low. If I have all 4 lights on the truck on with your harness will both the high and low beam be on in the sealed light on the plow?

I also have some driving lights from Lightforce on the front bumper that have 100 watt quartz xenon bulbs. These help tremendously. They are over 700,000 combined candlepower and are fully adjustable from spot to flood in seconds. Anyone looking for some kick *ss lights, check them out. Pics are up in "acc. installed on 01' K3500 Duramax" albumn.

www.lightforce.net.au
Go to driving lights section

[ 10-21-2002: Message edited by: Maverick ]</p>

HDLD
10-21-2002, 21:11
As per the Philips web site, the Rally replacement bulbs are intended for off-road only.
They also warn these bulbs can damage your wiring as well as your headlamps so Kennedy's harness would not look to be optional with these bulbs.

The Philips "Premium" series are advertised to provide 30% more light on the road and are "legal". I would prefer to remain within the accepted standards out of courtesy to the other drivers on the road.

The above bulbs can be found at www.autolamps-online.com for 17.20 each + free shipping anywhere in the world.

They also have a series called "Vision Plus" that reportedly puts 50% more light on the road + extends your beam 10-20 metres but these aren't currently available as 2005/2006 replacements. No increase in wattage.

Kennedy
10-21-2002, 22:02
Maverick,

Where does your plow light setup intercept the OE system?

Iif it does so at the lamp, then it would actually work just fine. Yes both filaments would work and I have this done on Elaine's S-10, but I cannot speak for bulb life. Also, I have some Hella large rectangular housings that accept standard H4 bulbs so a guy can throw some more wattage.

As for the high wattage bulbs, I just don't get flashed at all, and have been running these for a couple of years now. Gardnerteam has been to Central America? and back with no meltdowns either. Works so well, I'd never go back. There's only so much you can do with a given amount of wattage in a bulb. The major gains were had with the introduction of halogen technology. From there, gains were all minimal, kinda like a vacuum cleaner. Old or new there is little performance difference except with larger amp motors.

Seeing is believing...

motovet
10-21-2002, 23:56
All I can say is these "illegal" bulbs along with the harness have saved my a$$ more than once. Most recently while towing and came up on a herd of road grazing elk in the road. The extra light gave me plenty of time to stop. These lights should lower insurance cost if they were allowed. Sure the high beams could put someones eye out, but the low beams NEVER give anyone any trouble. I have a lot of stuff on my truck, but this is one upgrade I will not do without.

Maverick
10-22-2002, 00:10
Kennedy,
Yes it does adapt at the light. Jeez.....2 harnesses, thats alot of wires. Is there any gain by just replacing the stock bulbs with the Phillips bulbs with a stock wiring configuation?

502_Jimmy
10-22-2002, 07:33
I just installed the Kennedy harness and Phillips bulbs 70W/100W and WOW! The difference is amazing. I thought the stockers were pretty good lights, but the harness and bulbs blow the stock system away.

I won't take anything else now at night.

John :D

BKoopman
10-22-2002, 08:26
The correct info about the Denali is that they are both 9005 (highs and lows) NOT HID. They are a projector style design which produces a more intense/dense ray of light even though it uses the same wattage. Part of this is due to the projector design itself...has a distinct cutoff pattern at the top. The light that normally gets aimed upwards gets redirected downward via the projector lens. The only GM products that have HID lights are the Caddys.

The SilverStar "upgrade" that is currently shipping with the Xenarcs is a freebie!! They are trying to get the word out on the SilverStar bulbs. The earlier kits were shipping with a regular halogen bulb. This is a limited time promotion.

I will replacing my wife's Yukon XL bulbs with the SilverStars in the next week or so. I will take pics of the before and after results along with side by side comparisons and post them to my album.

Kennedy
10-22-2002, 09:51
Maverick,

Does your plow kit have a switch to toggle between factory and plow lights?

The problem as I see it is that 1ea high and low beam wire now feeds BOTH plow lamps. If you had 2 relay setups you could see to it that the only thing that the factory wiring did was energize the relays. I just don't see the demand to look into a dual function relay set.

If you leave the plow on all the time, then you could just rig an adapter harness to redirect the outputs of the HB kit...

Maverick
10-22-2002, 10:06
Kennedy,
There is NO switch between the lights. As soon as I plug in the plow lights in the front it automatically switches them from the truck to the plow. The plow usually comes off after plowing. The truck fan runs too much towing while the plow is on. Not enough air flow pulling 20K. I will assume that there is an improvement over stock bulbs with stock wiring with the phillips bulbs, just not as good with your harness.

HDLD
10-22-2002, 11:46
Pointed out to Sylvania that their X2020 would not likely fit a 2003 Silverado and they have responded this (of course) is true and their web site information will be changed shortly to reflect this.

There is NO ETA for an '03 kit at this time.

Stage 1
10-22-2002, 15:46
Denali projector headlamp housing/capsule for Sierra 03'. The part numbers I ordered are the following:
LH 15166756
RH 15166757
These numbers I believe are correct for 01 and 02 also. An 03' Yukon XL Denali used as the vehicle search and it came up with the above numbers. Also TxDoc previously provide reference that used these same numbers.

I should receive my order ia about two weeks and will post results. [Note your wiring harness will need to be updated as JK mentioned above]

OilMan
10-22-2002, 20:53
I have been using the Sylvania Silverstars for my lo/hi headlamps since they first came out last winter. I really like them a lot, particularly for their ability to render objects in more accurate color than the stock headlamps do. I think this allows me to ID the objects quicker.
The Sylvania people told me that the useful life of these headlamps will likely be less than ordinary halogens, and recommended that I change bulbs each year. I will just test them on this, though.

tjdonald
10-23-2002, 18:03
I replaced my 2002 Silverado 3500 lights with the Sylvania Xenarc x2020 kit. IMO it is worth the money bigtime ! I found autobarn.com had the best price at that time and the x2020's installed in about 10 minutes. Included in the kit were silverstar bulbs for the x2020 high beams. I had to elliminate my Sno-Way plow wiring harness, as I was unable to get the HID lights to work through the relay. Doesn't matter however, the HID are so much brighter I would not want to use anything else.

tjdonald
10-23-2002, 18:06
one other thing.. I'm located in Canada, and it was still less expensive to import the lights from NY, pay duty, exchange rates etc. Seems the Canadian parts dealers aren't in tune with the ship direct companies in the US.