PDA

View Full Version : Aftermarket DVD system

DieselDixon
06-24-2003, 14:36
Has anyone put in an aftermarket DVD system? I am looking for the over the head type preferably with the DVD player in the console as well. Any particular brand to get or stay away from?

BigLakeDMAX
06-24-2003, 15:17
I started this project intending to install an overhead screen, ended up installing dual headrest mounts. Both kids have their own screen now. I used Pioneer screens and a Pioneer switch box - very pleased with the performance and quality. For the players, I used both Audiovox (DVD and VCP). Their players had better automotive features, I felt, to allow them to handle shock and vibration, repel dust, and deal with moisture. Their players are specifically designed for vehicle environments and work without a hitch. Photos of the install are available under my photos link below.

The kids love having their own screens, they can watch separate shows, either with or without headphones for my sanity. I can now drive 12 hours per day again and spend my time on vacation instead of driving to and from it.

Good Luck!

Maverick
06-24-2003, 16:21
I have a 7" screen mounted in my ext cab. It is removable and turns in any direction. It also has a TV tuner and 2 aux RCA inputs. I have it mounted in the center counsel. I run a portable Initial 5.8" DVD player (got it at Wal-Mart) up front. I set it inside the counsel or set it on the top if the passenger wants to watch. I can run a VCR or PS2 off the inverter so the rear screen can watch a VHS or play PS2 while the front watches a DVD. Alot cheaper than factory look units.

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL43/437876/777914/24919941.jpg

Jelisfc
06-24-2003, 20:36
BigLake, Where did you get your components? Might need to swing by with a 6 pack to check your system out if you are up for it on my way back from Camp Ripley sometime.

BigLakeDMAX
06-25-2003, 21:12
jelisfc - no problem, just check to make sure we're here - just can't seem to keep the dmax and new 5er in the driveway on the weekend smile.gif We're only about 2 miles off Hwy 10 - email me @ dabbott@sherbtel.net when it looks like a good time.

I picked up one screen from refurbdepot.com, the other on ebay, the switchbox was new from an ebay seller, and the dvd and vcp were both from Circuit City. About a grand, total. Took parts of two days to install.

Jelisfc
06-25-2003, 22:24
Biglake, sounds good. Not sure either when I won't have something planned on a weekend. smile.gif