PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Brakes

happy can
08-06-2002, 19:59
My 2002 3500 D/A with 35,000 km, (with its driver and navigator) has just returned from a 6 month trip to Mexico pulling a 15,000# fifth wheel.

Great trip, but those mountains can be scary - especially the downhill part.

I am looking at installing an exhaust brake. I see that the Diesel Rendevous was held partly at the Abbotsford BC location of BD Diesel.

My questions are:
- has anyone installed an exhaust brake on their Duramax?
- has anyone talked to their dealer about warranty problems that might arise from the installation?
- anyone have any insight into any possible damage that the exhaust brake may do to the engine due to the increased backpressure?
- I specifically am looking at the BD exhaust brake, but right now, I would be interested in any feedback I can get on any brand at all.

I am looking forward to hearing from all you guys (and gals) who have installed exhaust brakes. I want to hear the good, the bad, and the ugly.

SoCalDMAX
08-07-2002, 20:01
Wow, sounds like you had a very long trip into Mexico, hope you had a great time! Please tell us all about it in another thread! I'd sure like to hear about the sights and your fuel mileage on such a long trip.

I'm surprised no one has answered your question yet. There was a great thread a few months ago on it, and I asked if it was really necessary, the answer was yes, for anything over 12,000lbs. It works fabulously in conjuction with the Allison grade braking. There are several people here who have exhaust brakes, maybe they'll chime in soon.

I've heard the BD brake is excellent, on other forums as well. I'm going to get an exhaust brake some day, and from what I can see, there are a few things to consider.

1. Get the size based on what you're going to run, ie. if you're interested in a 4" exhaust (popular item) then get the 4" exhaust brake installed at the same time.

2. Get the type that mounts under the truck behind the first flange (exactly where the BD installs) because you're not subjecting it to the high heat right at the exit of the turbo, so less chance of failure/binding. The brake dia./blade size is restricted by the limited room right at the turbo. It's not good for the turbo to have the restriction of the smaller blade right at it's outlet.

3. There might be differences in how they're actuated, I don't know which type is best.

I've read that the better brakes will not create excessive backpressure, but it's a valid spec. to check into.

Good luck! Steve

CntrlCalDmax
08-08-2002, 10:11
happy can,

I have installed a BD exhaust brake along with a Kennedy 4" exhaust system and am very happy with it. I purchased both from Kennedy and did the installation myself in a day. It did require a little welding because I added a flange to the Kennedy exhaust system. I have pulled a 10K 5er aprox. 5000 miles through Wyoming, Utah and Colorado and didn't find a hill where I needed to use the brakes except to slow down for traffic or stop. The BD brake is pneumatic and the amount of back pressure is adjustable using a pressure regulator. I installed the regulator in the cab with a back pressure gauge so that I can make sure I do not exceed the maximun pressure of 55 psi. I haven't needed to use more than about 40 psi on any hills. Without being able to adjust the back pressure from the drivers seat you will find that many times the braking is too much I am planning on a 8K trip in October and wouldn't leave without it.

Pictures of the installation are at:
http://www.corpair.com/dmax/dmax.htm

happy can
08-08-2002, 18:42
Thanks guys for the feedback on the BD exhaust brake.

If anyone knows the thread that was on here about 6 months ago, I would appreaciate a lead so I could read the info. I check back for 12 months and couldn't find anything on Exhaust brakes.

Also, to CntrlCalDmax, thanks for the personal experience. I would appreciate knowing the reason for the 55psi. Is that the maximun the engine can take? Also, have you had any feedback from your dealer? Any threats to your warranty?

This Diesel page is a great place when one has a question that can't be answered anywhere else.

CntrlCalDmax
08-08-2002, 21:19
IIRC the 55 psi back pressure limit was in the BD information. I've only been to the dealer for ECM updates and don't know if they even noticed the brake installed. Before I installed it, I mentioned it to the service manager and he said it sounded like a good idea. No mention of warranty and I'm not sure he even knows what it does.

happy can
08-08-2002, 22:16
Hi CntrlCanDmax

Thanks for the info. Sorry to be a pain, but I also should have asked you about the pressure gauge you show in your pictures. Is that part of the kit, or is that something you installed yourself.

I called BD and talked to the customer service person. When I asked him about the danger of excess back pressure, his only comment was that BD had received the amount of backpressure the engine would take from GM, and that there was no danger of exceeding that with their product.

What caused you to put the gauge in if it is not part of the kit.

Thanks.

CntrlCalDmax
08-09-2002, 07:42
I decided I wanted to be able to adjust the amount of braking from the drivers seat. If I set the regulator, which was originally mounted under the hood, to hold on a 8% hill then it was too much braking for a 5% hill and I would have to disengage and reengage (with the throttle) to keep speed where I wanted it. Since it is now easily adjustable I wanted to be sure I didn't exceed any limits and the only way to know was to monitor the back pressure while adjusting the regulator. The regulator came with the kit. I just added air line and relocated it to the CD case. The gage was purchased locally and plumbed to a fitting supplied on the exhaust brake housing. I use copper line at the housing due to the heat and then switch to plastic line which was easier to run to the cab. If you like, drop me an e-mail at leot@corpair.com

socaltoolguy
08-17-2002, 23:06
Hey CtrlCalDmax, I tried to look at your pics and they won't come through. I get a message that they can't be found on the server at that address. Am I doing something wrong or is there a problem? Let me know as I very much wan't to see the pics of the exhaust system, BD and gauge. Thanks, Ray.

CntrlCalDmax
08-18-2002, 13:28
Did you try clicking the "Pictures" link in my sig. It just worked for me. Address is
http://www.corpair.com/dmax/dmax.htm

[ 08-18-2002: Message edited by: CntrlCalDmax ]</p>

socaltoolguy
08-18-2002, 17:26
CtrlCalDmax, I tried again and get the same thing. Some of the pics load but most show the error sign that you get when there is a problem. I tried clicking on the icon under where the pic should have been but thats when I get the error about the URL being wrong or somethinkg like that. Sorry to be a pain in the butt but I really wanted to see the pics. Ray.

FirstDiesel
08-18-2002, 17:33
Ray

Works fine for me too. Must be on your end?? Are you on a slow dialup??

CntrlCalDmax
08-18-2002, 19:45
Ray,

Drop me an e-mail if you would like me to send you a couple of the photos. leot@corpair.com

Leo

socaltoolguy
08-18-2002, 21:12
I am on a cable hookup so it is a very fast modem. I finally figured out the problem. I was copying the URL and pasting it in the location bar. I tried leaving the Dmax.html off and it worked fine. It took me to a list of pics a mile long. Anyway I e-mailed you with a few questions so I will wait for your reply. Thanks, Ray.

happy can
08-18-2002, 22:23
Hi Ray

Glad to see someone else is interested in the BD Exhaust Brake.

If any of the questions you emailed to CntrlCalDmax involve the exhaust brake, I would be very interested in both the question and the answers. CntrlCalDmax certainly seems to know his stuff when it comes to these exhaust brakes and I am interested in picking his brain.

Thanks

letsgo
08-20-2002, 07:04
Could someone explain the difference between the EXHAUST brake I have on my 2002 duramax and the BD exhaust brake that everyone is talking about. Also do you remove one to install the other???

thanks in advance.

GMC 2002 DURAMAX SLT EXCAB SHORT BOX 2500 HD 4X4 AUTO

Joe Pool
08-20-2002, 08:13
letsgo,

Unless you or someone else has added an aftermarket exhaust brake to your truck, you don't have one. If you have added one they all pretty much work on the same basic principle, the application technique is the main variable. They can be powered by electricity or air pressure (positive or negative -- vacuum) generally.

Are you thinking that these are the same as the retarding ability (tow mode) of the Allison transmission?

Joe

BJR
08-20-2002, 13:53
I just installed a US Gear D-Celerator on my 6.5TD last night. The engine is in a '96 Safari Trek RV that we just bought in July. I chose the US Gear over the BD for the price, the waste gate system and a friend of mine has one on his coach. I haven't had a chance to test the system yet. Diesel Injection Service is selling the D-Celerators for $795. They also have the BD brake for $826

http://www.dieselpage.com/menupro.htm

We're going to the Lake of the Ozarks next month. We were there in July and I can tell you that I wished I had the D-Celerator exhaust brake to use coming off of those hills in Missouri. This is my first diesel and man does it fly down hill!!!! The speed limit coming back from the Lodge of the Four Seasons was 40 MPH. I hit 70 MPH before we started up the next hill. That's pretty fast in an RV coasting down hill. I can't imagine how hot the brakes would be in the mountains without an exhaust brake.

BJR

letsgo
08-20-2002, 13:55
Joe Pool
I bought the truck new in 2002, all the gm propaganda said there was an exhaust brake on the truck. Right behind the turbocharger in the exhaust pipe is a valve controlled by a pneumatic motor.
My question, is this an exhaust brake? if not what is it and second if it is why is everyone switching to BD exhaust brake?

thanks

[ 08-20-2002: Message edited by: letsgo ]</p>

DmaxMaverick
08-20-2002, 14:22
letsgo

Interesting. :confused:

I haven't heard of an OEM installed exhaust brake, but there are outfitters that equip them on new vehicles prior to sale. They are usually of a common brand, like BD or PacBrake.

Would you be able to snap a pic of it? I'd like to see if your setup is any different than the rest of ours. What you describe sounds like the wastegate actuator, or could be a newer polution device, like has been on gassers for years. Those smog morons sneak things in on us all the time.

Thanks.

tpitt
08-20-2002, 14:37
I install exhaust brakes (along with other diesel related items) as a side business. No Jim and John I'm not trying to "panhandle" here. I just want to inform everyone of my thoughts and experience with brakes. I have a good friend who has a U.S. Gear brake installed on his 2000 F**d, and we are replacing it with a BD Unit when I have time. We had it scheduled in once, but I was sent to a big fire in Southern Ca.
The BD brake is the best in the business. I have installed over 30 of them so far, and I do this on my days off. My $.02 tpitt

Joe Pool
08-20-2002, 17:28
letsgo,

Could the valve controlled by a pneumatic motor by any chance be the wastegate?

As far as I can tell from a set of breakdowns that I have access to that seems to fit your general description.

Joe :confused:

letsgo
08-20-2002, 18:14
Hummmmm!!!!
Hope I didnt throw out a bad Question, will have to get back to this post at the end of the week with answers (the better half took the truck up north).

thanks

minus one GMC 2002 DURAMAX SLT EXCAB SHORT BOX 2500 HD 4X4 AUTO

motovet
08-21-2002, 23:15
Cntrl, I like what you did with the regulator...very nice! I really like my brake but would like to have the adjustability. All I need is some time and possibly some more details on the install.

socaltoolguy
08-23-2002, 12:10
Hello HappyCan, if you will e-mail me at raystools@socal.rr.com I will forward the letter I received regarding the exhaust brake on to you. I am waiting to hear from you. Ray

socaltoolguy
08-23-2002, 22:36
Hey HappyCan (Cliff), I have tried a zillion times to e-mail you both in new and forwarded e-mail and it keeps coming back as undeliverable. I am using the address that was on your e-mail that came to me but I can't get back to you. If you read the message from CntrlCalDmax he lists his e-mail address. Maybe you can write to him directly and get a copy of the letter he sent to me. Sorry, Ray.

socaltoolguy
08-24-2002, 13:05
Well Happy Can, I don't know what to tell you. I tried both of the e-mail addresses that you sent me and they won't work. The netrover one comes back with the message that the user is unknown and the yahoo one comes back that user doesn't have a Yahoo account.
As far as the exhaust brake is concerned, I talked to a guy at Banks Performance yesterday. It turns out that he used to be a customer of mine. I probably will go with the Banks. It seems to have the least restriction and I know from another friends experience that their stuff is 1st. class.

Maverick
08-24-2002, 22:00
Never heard of an exhaust brake on a 2500HD or a 3500 from the factory. The new 4500 and 5500 can be ordered with a factory installed exhaust brake and high idle though. You got a 4500 your not telling us about?

motovet
05-08-2003, 18:35
Leo, I recently installed my regulator in the cab as you have. I was wondering how much and how soon you see a change in back pressure when turning the dial. I see almost no change from minimum to maximum adjustment. I have'nt had much time to use it, but it seems to make little or no difference. Even if my guage is not right I can't feel the difference either. Any input or ideas?