PDA

View Full Version : Cooper Tires

DieselDixon
06-23-2003, 17:36
Anyone been using the Cooper Tire Discoverer line? I see they have a 265-75x16 with a E rating. The recommended wheel size is 7-8" but the aluminum stock wheels are only 6.5". I'm looking at the mud-terrains.

Do you know what the biggest tire size I can fit under a stock 4x4 without modifications and light to moderate 4-wheeling?

a5150nut
06-23-2003, 19:43
I ran 285's on my 94 k2500. Only had to modify the iner wheel well front and the fron bumper at the tire.

Had the Discover's but have switched to ST's. Much better ride. The Discovers walls are too rigid. Have them on my Blazer still and lokking forward to changing them. Only getting 50k on the blazer and 35k on the pickup.

I work construction and am off road constantly in the pickup with only a few scapes on the wheel well in front.

Burner
06-23-2003, 22:31
Dixon,

Get the Cooper AT. Like Nut said, their sidewalls are pretty stiff. Stay under 55-60lbs when you mount the tires. Drive them like that untill you'er drag'n somp'tn heavy or over 8K. I have enjoyed my American made, American supplied and American owned tires for two years. I have had pretty good luck with these tires. I leave at least one set of "black marks" on some street every day and will still get 20-25K out of them. They do pull well but they are different.... hard to explain but they do well. ;)
One size up from 265/75 and thinner is all you'er going to get without raising the truck.

Burner---------> :D

HotShot
06-24-2003, 23:40
I'm running the Discoverer S/Ts on my dually, I am impressed.

I was a diehard BFG fan until this spring. I was getting sick of them separating and found out my neighbor was having the same problem. I have recently come across others who have had problems this winter.

The tread on the S/T is pretty aggresive and makes a little noise especially if the toe-in isn't perfect. Have no idea what they are like on ice yet, guess I'll find out this fall. These things are incredible in the mud! I can go almost as far in 2WD with these as I could with the BFGs in 4WD.

chevmeister
06-25-2003, 17:40
hotshot
I dont think you will be disappointed. i got 215/85r16 and i drug 7500# behind it in snow a foot or more deep. I was scooping snow up with the trailer. I backed the same trailer 100' through 8 to 10" of mud and it backed in and pulled it back out.

HotShot
06-27-2003, 18:01
chevmeister,

Are your 215s D(8ply) or E(10ply) range, hard to find E range tires in this size? Not sure I would go back unless I have problems with the AR rims or get sick of remounting tires to rotate them.