PDA

View Full Version : Center console guage install pix.

stevem
08-03-2002, 19:12
Took me a long time to decide where to mount the EGT and boost guage.

A-pillar? No, just not for me.
Dash pad? No way.
Steering column? No, blocks the factory guages.

Did try to mount them at the overhead console but the angle just wasn't right.

I ended up mounting them in the center console area below the cass deck. They are very easy to read in this location night or day.

Take a look at the pix and let me know if you have any ??????????? Steve

GMC-2002-Dmax
08-03-2002, 19:50
Nice Gauges,

Are they sportcomp?? those look like the same one's I have.

GMC

stevem
08-03-2002, 20:38
GMC.

Cool lookin truck you got there. Love that red.

My guages are Autometer Z series 2 1/16 in.
I got these because they look very much like the factory cluster guages.

Thanks, Steve.

mackin
08-03-2002, 20:51
stevem ,

Very very nice.... Like you needed to be told that .......Nice custom work.......Good looking truck also ,I almost went gray but once you get a "BLACK" truck ,there is no turning back.....

MAC

mdrag
08-03-2002, 21:27
stevem,

Great idea and nice clean install!! :D

NutNbutGMC
08-03-2002, 22:36
^...GAUGE x 500, on the chalkboard. Again, GAUGE...

txguppy
08-03-2002, 22:52
Nice set-up. That's where I installed my CB. One question, how do you read the gagues "through your coffee cup?" :D :D

txguppy

NutNbutGMC
08-03-2002, 23:28
^.... :D @ txguppy

stevem
08-04-2002, 01:31
OOO poo. Kut me sum slac on the speling of gage, I went to publik skool :D tongue.gif smile.gif :rolleyes:

Stebe

[ 08-04-2002: Message edited by: stevem ]</p>

pullinpower
08-04-2002, 12:38
Hey stevem how do you like the dynomax muffler?I am looking at the flowmaster and was wondering if you still like the dynomax.

[ 08-04-2002: Message edited by: pullinpower ]</p>

NutNbutGMC
08-04-2002, 14:05
^....Steve, did you ride the short bus??? LMAO... Just funning ya' my friend. Too much radiation for me.

BigO
08-04-2002, 23:22
SteveM

Where did you get the black piece that fits in there for the gauges to mount to? Was that a custom thing or what? If so how much to make me one?

mdrag
08-05-2002, 07:33
stevem,

If you find the gauges are blocked by your favorite beverage in the cupholder, you can reposition the cupholder insert so the cup portion is to the rear of the console. Grip the insert firmly, careful not to tear the rubber flaps - and pull/jerk upward. The insert should pop out - it is held in place with friction tabs only. It may be a little tight the first few times you remove it. Mine has been removed numerous times - and still fits snug, but does remove easier now. :D

stevem
08-05-2002, 22:31
Thanks for all the compliments mackin, GMC 2002,mdrag,txguppy.

pullinpower, the muffler sounds real good with the Juice.

BigO, I got the plastic from a store by the name of Tap plastic. Sorry don't have the time to make another.Give it a try, very easy to work with the plastic. Tools that I used were 2 1/16 hole saw,hack saw and a course file to round the edges.

mdrag, the gauge set up is clearly visible with a 12 oz can of soda in the cupholder. I will have to see how it works with a jumbo Slurpee tongue.gif . Thanks for the tip on the cupholder.

Now for NutNbutGMC, Tranguilizer, Tranquilizer, Tranquilizer, Tranquilizer. tongue.gif :D smile.gif

Steve

SoCalDMAX
08-06-2002, 12:59
stevem,

Gorgeous truck, (great color, ignore Mac)! You did an excellent job on the gauge install!

Those are beautiful Centerline rattler rims/tires and very nice welding on the Dynomax muffler... I was gonna ask how it sounded, somebody beat me to it.

I also like the heavy hauling pic, how fast were you going at the time? ;)

Regards, Steve

CSDMAX
08-06-2002, 18:08
stevem,

Definitely, a nice install on the gauges. Nice truck too!

Don

Silver Bullet
08-08-2002, 12:04
Steve,
Were you able to angle the gauges slightly? If so, are they designed to angle or was this a custom angle job?

What kinda of shop is Tap Plastic so we will know what to look for?

[ 08-08-2002: Message edited by: Silver Bullet ]</p>

mdrag
08-08-2002, 13:00
Silver Bullet,

I think I can make out angle rings is stevem's pictures. I used an angle ring when I mounted my SPA gauge, and they generally could be used with almost any round gauge as long as you get the correct diameter. I got them from Summitt Racing, but you should be able to find angle rings anywhere they sell gauges.

Check the SPA album at the first link in my sig, and you should be able to see the angle ring in the last pic of the gauge taken from the side. It's tough to tell from the pics that the angle ring is there.

stevem
08-08-2002, 19:36
Thanks guys.

Silver Bullet. The gauges are angled with Autometer 2 1/16 inch angle rings. part#2234. They come in a pack of 3, about $7. Tap plastic is a store here in the San Fran area that sells every type of plastic known to man tongue.gif .

I have an extra piece of 4in x 9in plastic that I can send you. The piece only cost 80 cents, so no big deal, happy to help out a Duramax bro.Send me a few bucks to cover the shipping.Send your address via e-mail to steve2500hd@hotmail.com

Steve

Silver Bullet
08-08-2002, 21:22
Thanks Mittie...if I keep learning new things at such an alarming rate my head may explode! It looks like you are out of future mods...we can do something about that as my list is not complete yet!!! :D

Thanks Steve. I dropped you an e-mail. And I think I forgot to mention everything on your truck is looking good. If I didn't have mine I might have my eye on yours! :D

[ 08-08-2002: Message edited by: Silver Bullet ]</p>

IndigoDually
08-09-2002, 06:11
I mounted my gauges in the overhead console. I bought the Autometer rings and did not like the aggle so I made my own rings. I cut 1 1/2" pvc sch 40 pipe on an angle in my compound miter saw. This way I could make the angle what I needed. I then cleaned them op with a file and painted them black.

John

Silver Bullet
08-09-2002, 10:26
Indigo,
Any chance of getting a few pics of your gauge setup?

Allison Jettester
08-09-2002, 12:35
Great job Stevem! Looks real good. How about a report on pyro temps with stock pipe and Dynomax muffler. I have been thinking about doing exactly the same thing.

Cheers,
Joe

stevem
08-09-2002, 19:24
AJ

Around town and on the freeway temps are around 400-500.

Have never seen higher than 1300 when hot-rodding or during full throttle towing thru the mountains of Lake Tahoe and Reno.

Steve