PDA

View Full Version : Front door speaker question

battmain
04-07-2003, 15:01
Looks like I've blown the passenger side speaker or it has a loose connection. I did a search and it looks like a 6.5 inch speaker will work. But what I didn't find was the speaker depth size. Anybody know if there are any limitations to the speaker depth? Maybe this is an incentive to get the subwoofer installed. ;)

motovet
04-07-2003, 18:12
Hmmm...I measured mine when I was in there but can't remember what it was. I can tell you it is deep enough for anything you choose to replace them with....lots of room.

Silver Bullet
04-07-2003, 20:53
I had no problems mounting my MB Quart's in the front doors...mountng depth of 2.5".

I had to use washers as spacers on my rear door speakers to keep the window from hitting on the way down.

[ 04-07-2003: Message edited by: Silver Bullet ]</p>

battmain
04-08-2003, 05:00
Thanks for the info...On the way home yesterday, it seemed fine, but I'll be digging into the door panel to see what is happening. I checked for loose objects in the door pockets, but nothing in there. Of course they say problems arrive in twos and threes...it's time to replace the main battery. POS truck wouldn't start this morning. Not even two years old yet. :mad:

Ranger354
04-08-2003, 21:48
I have got THREE good factory speakers that I will sell cheep! I blew the front drivers door speaker a few months back. I replaced them all with (4) Pioneer TS-**661. You would not believe the difference in sound quality and quantity. I think the Pioneers were $75 a pair and Best Buy installed them. They also put in some kind of sound barrier paper or something. Looks like aluminum on one side. What ever it is it works!!

battmain
04-09-2003, 05:54
My local electronics store has some inexpensive 6.5 two way pioneers. With taxes, it will probably be cheaper than shipping. smile.gif Thanks anyway. Got the battery terminals cleaned up with the dremel and the truck started this morning. Will see what happens when I leave work later today.

[ 04-09-2003: Message edited by: battmain ]</p>

Ranger354
04-09-2003, 06:01
Pour a coke or dr. pepper on the battery terminals. The acid in the softdrink will eat up the corrosion on the battery. The Pioneers that I bought are three way. I didn't think it would make that big a difference, but it does. I like my music and some times I like it on the loud side.

a64pilot
04-09-2003, 07:31
Battman,
Hate to rain on your parade, but if one of the batteries is bad then they most probably are both bad. They are wired together in parallel, so there is really no "primary" battery, they both share the load equally. IMHO if you replace just one then the old battery may shorten the life of the new one. That is of course unless you just had a defective battery to begin with. Hopefully you just had a bad connection though.

battmain
04-09-2003, 08:23
a64pilot, gotta' look at my sig...I haven't moved to the 'D' side yet. smile.gif I'm still running the gasser and I have the OEM isolator. The Dmaxes do not have that and you're correct. My aux battery has always showed 12.6v when the main battery has shown 10.7v. Those are the times when I want to test what happens to the isolator by jumping the two batteries. ;) Something is drawing a pretty good current, because the neg terminal was sparking pretty good when I reattached it. Not very easy to do in such a confined place.

a64pilot
04-09-2003, 10:03
Battmain,
Sorry about that I Assumed, you know the root word on that.

FirstDiesel
04-09-2003, 17:11
Battmain

You need to go read the article by Dr. Lee on a "fix" for the battery terminals.

http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/batterm.htm

battmain
05-12-2003, 17:42
Ok folks, speakers and two new red top optima batteries installed. $110 each from Pep Boys minus a coupon that I had. I used the dremel and cleaned up the battery terminals, then put quite a bit of electrical grease on them. Took the plastic covers off from both sets of terminals so now I can watch them. No corrosion in the cable itself.

As for the speakers, they were suprisingly easy to install. The door panel came of within 5 mins and nothing broken. Got some Sony three way 1632s on sale for 50 bucks. Could have been cheap and used the two way Blaupuncs for $8, but figured the three way would be better. The passenger side speaker was definately blown.

The next question is for someone with access to the manual or SI. Which is plus and minus for the speaker wire on either side? I couldn't really tell a difference by swapping the plus around and experimenting, but just want to make sure everything is in phase. Next to be installed is the subwoofer. But gotta fix the race car first. (Priorities you know.) smile.gif

[ 05-12-2003: Message edited by: battmain ]</p>

Heavy Duty Neil
05-13-2003, 08:58
Here ya go battmain,

Left Front Spkr (-) Light Gray
Left Front Spkr (+) Tan
Right Front Spkr (-) Light Green
Right Front Spkr (+) Dark Green

Right Rear Spkr (-) Light Blue
Right Rear Spkr (+) Dark Blue
Left Rear Spkr (-) Yellow
Left Rear Spkr (+) Brown