PDA

View Full Version : 'Tis the season for new engines

rlvelin
06-21-2005, 08:46
Hi all

I've noticed there are quite a few engines being replaced at this time, including my own. I was wondering if anyone can tell me what to do for the break in procedure.

Thanks
Ryan

Cowracer
06-21-2005, 09:18
Don't run it too hard
Don't run it too easy
Don't run it at one rpm too long. NO CRUISE CONTROL!
Don't let it get hot (warm is ok)
Don't use synthetic oil during break in

Do change oil and filter at 1000 miles
Do check you oil level every morning
Do keep the radio off. Listen for unusual noise
Do periodically look the engine over for loose hardware.
Do get you timing checked ASAP

With the roller cams we have, seating in the lifters is not that big of a deal. Make a couple of romps up through the gears to get the rings aquainted with the bores.

I figure it should be well seasoned and ready for action after 1000 miles or so.

Who's engine did you order?

Tim

mhagie
06-21-2005, 10:59
The way I always did break-in was an easy 50 miles to let the bearings get aquainted then 10 times run up from 25 to 65 using slightly under full throttle and you are good to go.
That was using moly rings, they seat fast and good.
oil change anywhere from 500 to 1000 miles max, no cruise on break-in oil, and as was mentioned vary speeds first 500 or so miles.
Merle

john8662
06-21-2005, 12:15
Cool post, something I've been wondering myself. See, I never get a chance to break something in, I just get to finish them off :D .

rlvelin
06-21-2005, 17:06
Thanks cowracer and mhagie. The engine is Kennedy's long block, just picked it up this afternoon, haven't even de-crated it yet.

No synthetic on break-in huh, when is a good time to switch to synthetic if one should choose to? Speaking of synthetic, what are the real world advantages over dino oils? I've thought about running synthetic but don't really know why, maybe because I'm getting too good at spending money on this truck ;)

How hot is too hot, EGT's or ECT's or both?

No radio, listen for odd noises. I did that with the old engine, does that mean there's something wrong with me?

Ryan

Chuck1
07-11-2005, 16:37
rivelin I see that you made your own boost controler.Could you post a picture and explain.

odee
07-11-2005, 18:43
I would like to see a picture also. I have put about 500 miles on my new motor myself. I thought the rings would take longer that it did for them to seat.

JohnC
07-12-2005, 06:40
Most of the "break-in" happens in the first few minutes of running. Bearings require no break-in. Piston ring seating is the big issue. High combustion chamber pressures force the rings against the bores and aids seating, so just drive it. Hard.

A piston ring manufacturer I used to use said to do 3 full throttle runs from 20 to 50 mph. No further break-in was necessary...

On a new truck the one thing that needs to break in is the rear gear set. That's why they say not to tow for 500 miles.

MTTwister
07-13-2005, 08:33
Ryan - Is it up and Running yet? Found your cell # from awaile backm and thought about calling ya to see - when I was doing my 97 cooling upgrade, etc. Figured you'd probably have enough going on tho'.

re- seating rings, On gasser, I've read that you accelerate from slow to fast - 25 - 65 , then let off and let it slow back down to 25 on the compression, then do it again 3 - 4 times. Usually was for problem rings, I believe.

Boost Fooler - http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=006486
No pics tho

moondoggie
07-13-2005, 10:13
Good Day!

I've always wondered about break-in. It's another one of those things that folks have lots of opinions about, but I haven't seen much hard data.

If memory serves (& lots of times it doesn't :( ) farm tractor mfg's used to recommend (during break-in) no idling other than a few minutes to warm the oil, then keep 'er at ~ 80% load for the 1st 100 hours or so. I was told that was to seat the rings, but again, no hard data.

Blessings!

NH2112
07-13-2005, 17:00
Originally posted by JohnC:
Most of the "break-in" happens in the first few minutes of running. Bearings require no break-in. Piston ring seating is the big issue. High combustion chamber pressures force the rings against the bores and aids seating, so just drive it. Hard.

A piston ring manufacturer I used to use said to do 3 full throttle runs from 20 to 50 mph. No further break-in was necessary...

On a new truck the one thing that needs to break in is the rear gear set. That's why they say not to tow for 500 miles. That's pretty much what I've been told all along - 5-10 minutes of idling to break in the bearings, then freight the truck right down and do 1/2 dozen full-throttle pulls up a steep hill to seat the rings. Change the oil, and you're all set. Some people I've known have said to put a teaspoon of Boraxo in the oil to micro-polish the bearings during the 5-10 minute idle period, then change the oil for the pulls.