PDA

View Full Version : Help!!!! Totaly Confused

Tinnerusa
04-03-2003, 15:18
I have been trying to decided on what mirrors to buy for towing. I decided on the TTT mirrors. But as for the power box its really hard, I have read all the threads out there. I will only use it for towing a 30' Fifth wheel. I really don't want to buy the guages, if I don't need them. I will never go past level 2 on the Juice. I think the Juice is the best thing out there, but I live in Oregon with alot of rain, and have read problems with the Juice. As for the guages I think the X-monitor if I have to have them. I only have the stock exhaust system. If you guys can give me any input would greatly appreciate.

Thanks

2001 GMC CREW LB TUBE BARS, WEATHER TECH WINDOW,RHINO LINER, REMOTE START, AIR BAGS

[ 04-03-2003: Message edited by: Tinnerusa ]</p>

sonofagun
04-03-2003, 16:06
Tinnerusa,

If you use the Juice get
1. guages (I use SPA)
2. exhaust (I have John Kennedy's system)

I wouldn't pull a 5th wheel with the Juice without the guages. You can really pump the heat up very quickly without knowing it unless you can see it on a guage. The other way you'll know when the damage has been done. The exhaust system helps it run cooler. You don't pick up a lot of power with it.

I have the Lucerix Mirrors. You get a bit of vibration in the glass when extended (especially on the passenger side) but I really like them and they work well with my 5th wheel.

Good luck,
Bob

[ 04-03-2003: Message edited by: son of a gun ]</p>

3-Fan
04-04-2003, 12:06
Tinnerusa,

1st off, if you get an engine performance box, please install gages. I have a 28' 5th wheel. Hooked it up to the truck to got Bristol, TN a few weeks back. My Hot Juice box was set on level 2. My EGT's got up to 1175 degrees and I wasn't even pushing it hard. I'm running the SPA DG-211 gage. There are some fairly steep grades to tackle on the journey, but not super steep or long. 1200 degress is about all I want to see on my gage before do something to make the EGT's go down, like downshift. Juice is great for towing over stock, but you can get into trouble pretty easily if you don't watch.

Mirrors:
Have towed my camper with the stock manual, Lucerix's and the TTT's. Stock ones suck. Lucerix's have the biggest glass which is nice, but don't extend out far enough. The TTT's extend out farther than the Lucerix's, but in my opinion the main glass could be a bit taller. I do have a little whistle from the TTT's, but not noticible with the radio on and window down.

Exhaust, for now mine is stock, but soon will be upgrading to a 4". This should help the EGT's come down some.

As far as never going above level 2 on your Juice - trust me once you turn her up on level 4 one time, you won't want to go back to level 2. But NEVER use level 4 for towing, only hot rodding unloaded.

JEBar
04-05-2003, 05:49
for towing I use Juice level 2, as stated above, gauges installed before Juice .... after considerable research, ttt mirrors will be installed next month ... not willing to change exaust system, don't want a loud truck .... do plan to install JK's fuel filter add-on within the next couple of months .... Jim

Tinnerusa
04-05-2003, 19:52
Thanks for the response, I sort of knew to get gauges first. But reading the treads of the guys towing on level 2 sounded like you never have any problems.

But I will take your advice and install the guages before towing with the Juice.

As far as the mirrors I had decided on the Lucerix until I saw the info on the TTT's. I agree that the stock sucks I've been towing with the stock one's since 2001. I've sort of held off until a few other products were out. Sounds like the Lucerix has had some problems? And it sounds like the TTT's have a higher grade glass. If you could buy a set now would it be the TTT's or wait longer?

Thanks

zip
04-06-2003, 08:37
Well- not sure about the TTT's, but the Lucerix are working fine for me- even when towing a 30 ft 5'er trailer there's no shakin.
The biggest problem I have --- when the window is down- it never fails- in comes a bumblebee fresh off the impact with the mirror and LANDS RIGHT BETWEEN MY LEGS EVERYTIME!!
I hate it when that happens! Scramblin like h*#LL
tryin to find that d&*#n bee....

:eek: zip

[ 04-06-2003: Message edited by: zip ]</p>

Redhawk
04-06-2003, 15:09
As everyone has said, put in the guages first. I would install guages, then give the truck a good workout, then install the power box. That way you will have a good platform to base where the limits should be, and what gains future mods might have.

tpitt
04-06-2003, 15:39
Redhawk,
Was going to reply to your other post that George, you and I should get together sometime, but got side tracked and could not remember what post it was.
If you could sometime give me a call. I'm in the phonebook under Terry Pittman. Thanks, tpitt