PDA

View Full Version : Manual glow plug control

markrinker
11-11-2004, 04:40
I want to wire a dash mounted push button for manual glow control. What terminals on the relay do I close to heat them? Will my dash light come on to indicate that it is working when I push the button?

CleviteKid
11-11-2004, 06:54
Hi Mark,

If you look in the online troubleshooting manual at 94+ GLOW PLUG CONTROL (http://www.thedieselpage.com/members/guide14.htm) you will find information on your system. It "seems" that switching +12 VDC to terminal B with a momentary contact switch should fire the plugs when the ignition is "on". But I have not tried this, and urge caution should you wish to experiment. Has anyone else actually done this?

I assume you are looking forward to winter in Minnesota, and want to improve the chances your engine will start. Have you put 5W-40 synthetic oil in it? That will help a lot.

Dr. Lee :cool:

markrinker
11-11-2004, 08:12
I have not run synthetic due to cost and the consumption I experience with both trucks. Will run a lighter viscosity in the winter, or a pre-blended dino/synthetic to save on cost.

Usually, the trucks are plugged in and its not an issue. Sometimes they get parked and left overnight and having the ability to manually control glow can make alot of difference. The second short glow cycles are simply not enough IMHO.

ttpost
11-17-2004, 15:02
the glow plug light gets its power once the relay has made contact and sends a signal back to the computer.If you just disconnect the yellow wire to the relay and wire in a 12 volt switch it will do the job good luck