PDA

View Full Version : B &W Companion 5th wheel hitch

a bear
06-06-2003, 08:34
Just looking for replies from the owners for their opinion of this hitch. smile.gif

Diesel Freak
06-06-2003, 09:57
I made one enhancement to my hitch, and I am very very pleased with it. I bought a couple of steel rails (bar stock 4' long, don't recall the exact size). I put those rails in between the high portions of the ribs in the bed, the hitch sits on the bar stock with the weight distributed the entire 4 feet instead of just a small portion of the higher rib in the bed. Every thing is very solid, I like it much better than the Reese 15k I had. None of the pops and squeaks like the old one, and the handle works very smooth and flawlessly when it comes time to unhitch. My Reese I would always have to back under the trailer to put pressure on the jaws, then still fight the handle to unlatch it.

I will definitely put a B&W setup in all of my future trucks!

Jerry

Colorado Kid
06-06-2003, 14:40
I don't have one, but if I had a longbed I would.

I've pulled just a little with one and it's a sweet hitch: The PROs are: Takes less space in the bed than any other 5th wheel hitch I've seen when it's in use. Takes no space at all when it's not in use, and much less effort to remove it than my 16K Reese. No clanking, creaking or other noises when in use, or rattling when installed but not in use. Very nice hitching mechanism, and nicely damped pivot in pitch and roll. All that and a mighty fine gooseneck hitch to boot.

If they design a slider for it I'm pulling the Reese Rails our of my bed!

cowboywildbill
06-06-2003, 20:56
Why not buy a gooseneck adapter for your fifth wheel and use the goosenck ball to pull your trailer? We took out the reese rails and fifth wheel and installed the B&W goose. If you think it pulls good with the B&W fifth wheel, you will love the gooseneck adapter even better. Also you don't have to take the fifth wheel hitch out of the bed when you aren't towing or get to the campground, because there isn't one. We have pulled fot many years with fifth wheel hitches, and will never go back to a fifth wheel hitch, from now on we will pull them like a goose neck. It pulls even better and puts even less strain on the truck and trailer when the trailer is torqued in the oposite direction than the truck. Also it has a lower center of gravity on the bed of the truck for torsional loads. Just thought I would throw the idea out there. There are several brands of gooseneck adapters out there that just bolt on to the trailers fifth wheel hitch at the king pin. And you can take them off and on if you want and use it on a different fifth wheel trailer. And they cost a little less than a fifth wheel hitch. Just a thought. We love it because we pull regular goose necks also, and we only have to use one hitch.

richp
06-07-2003, 06:03
To complete your research on the topic of gooseneck/fiver conversions, do a search in this forum on "gooseneck". There are a number of prior posts about the possible problems created by towing a fiver with a gooseneck hitch when the frame was not specifically designed for that purpose. Many people apparently do it successfully, but it is not without some risk.

For what it's worth.

Rich Phillips
Member #28

richp
06-07-2003, 06:14
To complete your research on the topic of gooseneck/fiver conversions, do a search in this forum on "gooseneck". There are a number of prior posts about the possible problems created by towing a fiver with a gooseneck hitch when the frame was not specifically designed for that purpose. Many people apparently do it successfully, but it is not without some risk.

For what it's worth.

Rich Phillips
Member #28

JMJORDAN
06-07-2003, 18:04
I have one its the slickest hitch I have ever had! Diesel Freak's idea is a good one. Get you bed spray lined (Rhino, Linex,ETC)

a bear
06-07-2003, 23:18
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll get rid of this homemade ball setup and try the turn over ball and companion fifth wheel hook up.