PDA

View Full Version : Turbo exhaust guage

webfoot
05-30-2003, 17:37
I have 12oo miles on my 2003 xcab,dually,duramax and I miss the turbo exhaust temp gauge that I had on my 1993 Ford diesel with an aftermarket Banks turbo. I think I am correct in assuming that there will be bearing overheating in the turbo unit unless you let it idle awhile before turning the engine off. I would like to take the guesswork out of it with an aftermarket temp guage but I don't know if they make only that guage for a chevy. I can't figure out why GM did not include it or even mention it in the users's manual. Any help on where I can get such a gauge and what the cost is would be helpful. Thanks in advance. [LIST]

DMAXED
05-30-2003, 19:11
Webfoot

I have a set of autometer gauges exhaust temp and turbo boost the hole setup pod and paint and all the fixens was like $200.00 you can get more info from the article got gauges on the diesel page

TBC
05-30-2003, 20:53
I installed the Autometer gauges last weekend and DMaxed is correct on the the price and it varies a little depending on where you buy. I got mine from Diesel Injection Service (DIS) and not installed myself. Not difficult at all. Rounding up the hardware was the hardest part. They come with hardware but the setup for the boost gauge is a little more difficult to get the right pieces for so I used a plastic tee and a soft rubber adapter. A lot of picts and help exist on this site to help out. Just do a search and it will give you a lot to read.

Tom

a64pilot
05-31-2003, 06:23
webfoot,
If your stock then you probably don't need one as the turbo center section in a Dmax is water cooled and should prevent coking on shutdown. Of course they are nice to have for info purposes etc. and If you add any form of fuel mod. IMHO you NEED one.

britannic
05-31-2003, 07:49
This is from the Banks Turbo Facts and Fiction (http://www.bankspower.com/tech_TD-fact-Fiction.cfm) site:

MYTH #7
You have to let a turbo-diesel idle for two minutes before you shut it off.

FACT
This is a current myth that has a basis of fact stemming from many years ago. It also has a kernel of truth regarding today

Burner
05-31-2003, 10:56
So, what is implied is that the turbo will have no Ill effects if you shut it down hot after pulling a 7% grade with 25k gross? And, what they are saying is that 1,400 degrees will not affect the oil nor the turbo. :rolleyes: I thought that standard dino oil had an evaporation point of roughly 350 degrees and synthetic 600 degrees. Does metal develop brittleness when it is cooled quickly or slowly?
I'm of the old school; I let them warm up easy and cool down the same way. ;)

Doesn't a "BOX" elevate the EGT tempreture? Is not the "gasses" of EGT that run "within" the turbo? How does that high tempreture shutdowm not affect the oil or turbo?

Burner---------> ;) :D

britannic
05-31-2003, 21:55
Bank's is talking about stock turbos as well as their own, which are set up not to see excessive temps.

Modern turbos are designed for drivers who aren't even aware they are part of the engine and therefore drive accordingly. The new breed of turbos have better oil and/or water cooling, vastly improved materials in contrast to the earlier designs that were very sensitive to how they were shutdown.

The latest generation of engine oils are equally improved. During the mid to late 80's, a large oil refiner was my customer and I was able to visit their lubrication R&D center where engines were being destruction tested whilst running their products. They were already testing oils that were resistant to coking and molecular shearing under high heat and load stress in turbo applications.

Usually, there is enough time slowing down from a heavy work out, for the engine to be cooled off enough to shut down.

If the design temperatures of the engine were exceeded to an excessive degree, then it would make sense to idle the engine until EGTs, transmission and coolant were within normal limits before shutoff - this is a practice I follow to this day.

[ 05-31-2003, 10:04 PM: Message edited by: britannic ]

sdaver
06-01-2003, 08:44
we should call you "encyclopedia.... britannic .a"........great post and information... :D dave