PDA

View Full Version : I washed my engine today and....

SPICER
05-29-2003, 20:52
After the long salty winter I decided to wash my engine today. I used warm soapy water and a garden hose without the nozzle. As soon as I was done she started up no problem, but there was a loud, intermittent ticking coming from the area of the alternator. It sounded a lot like the engine ticking most of us have, but this was louder and was aesier to pin-point. It almost sounded electrical, like arcing. I got on the highway and drove about 10 miles and when I got back the only ticking was the usual engine ticking......The Bosch system right behind the alternator says "do not jet wash" but no warning about getting it wet...Any ideas? SPICER :confused:

mackin
05-29-2003, 21:05
SPICER

Did you happen to look at the amp gauge .....??

I also washed my engine today and around the Bosch Ecu same way.... I do get it wet but I do not spray directly at the Ecu.... I also use my air compressor to blow excessive water away from ac and electrical areas alternator included ... Plus I let it dry some before starting .... You probably were just getting an arc ... If the Ecu was wet I'm sure it would have set a code ... Wash on ....

Mac smile.gif

SPICER
05-29-2003, 21:26
mackin, I did look at my amp gauge and it was normal, but I didn't think to look at it until I was on the highway. While on this subject, I will warn anybody against using anything like GUNK foaming engine cleaner. I used it on my old gasser and my engine smelled like a diesel spill for weeks. It probably is diesel fuel. It also strips any lubrication for anything it comes in contact with. My belt tensioner would creek every time I stepped on the gas within a day after I washed it. Unless your engine is coated heavily in grease and dirty oil, stay away from this overkill approach...SPICER

Forced Induction
05-30-2003, 05:10
Where did you guys find an amp gauge in our trucks??? :confused: All I got was a plain jane, inaccurate volt gauge!! smile.gif :D ;)

mackin
05-30-2003, 07:10
Forced Induction

You got jip'd ...

Mac http://www.turbodieselregister.com/ubb/hihi.gif http://www.turbodieselregister.com/ubb/hihi.gif

letsgo
05-30-2003, 09:21
How about you have 3 phase Alternating Current generation at 30Vac (RMS) with a bridge rectifier to give you DIRECT CURRENT (DC) followed by a voltage regulator to give 14.6Vdc, and we just loaded the altinator housing with water, and start the truck up before every thing has dried out, SNAP CRACKLE AND POP. POOOF!!!!!

GOOD LUCK