PDA

View Full Version : Juice or Predator

Larry Decker
05-29-2003, 18:40
I am still new to this but am ready to step up to a performance module. I do not tow except for the 4000lb ski boat or snowmobiles. I drive my 2500HD 4X4 CC daily. I was set on the Juice, but recent posts have made the predator look good, especilly for those who are towing heavy or looking for low 14 second 1/4's (not that isn't cool!) I also like the lower cost and the ability for the tire size reaclibartion et cetera. If one is more reliable or trouble free that is the key for me... On the lower settings for both, can you get away with no exhaust or gauges?
Thanks.

Larry Decker
05-29-2003, 18:44
Sorry for the error in my first post. I wanted to say that the Predator Looked good for those NOT towing heavy loads and those NOT looking for the 14 second slips. Sorry For the confusion.

king D
05-29-2003, 18:46
fella this is a question that has been overed a number of times.in my opinion and i am no expert on the lower settings both products should be safe towing the loads you describe.the juice will go faster until 94 or so and it runs cooler but if you want a speed limit raised and tire calibration ther is no better buy as of now than the pred....jess

Kennedy
05-29-2003, 19:25
Both comments are correct. The Predator has more features, but the Edge makes much more power with lower EGT's. Tough call...

56Nomad
05-29-2003, 19:34
L decker,

Welcome on board! I'm not a newbie and I would also
appreciate more input on this thread.

Up until now, I've pretty much ignored the posts on the
Juice and other upgrades, but I'm starting to think, I'd like
to do the deed, so I need to get an education.

I would also like to know if we can get away with adding
gauges and exhaust? I don't plan on racing and I
probably tow about 9000 Lbs of trailer/equip.

I'd like to go with the performance module that is
the easy to install and will not require too much
computerese skills, nor do I want to jeopardize the
longevity of my engine.

I

WhiteDuramax
05-29-2003, 20:40
I have a Predator and my buddy has a Juice, both are good choices, you would be happier with either. Depends what you want, if you have bigger tires and want to correct your speedo and want to spend a little less then go for the Predator, if you want a little more power go for the juice. You should be safe with either as long as you run lower settings while towing.

56Nomad
05-29-2003, 20:53
WhiteDuramax,

Thanks for your input.

Before I jump and get the Juice, can I get away from guages for a while?

Also, how much has changed since SoCalDMAX wrote his critique of all
the power modules....at:

http://forum.thedieselpage.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=3&t=004725&p=

mackin
05-29-2003, 21:21
I think you waited this long you should wait till July and see the Edge controller .... Has built in EGT temps ....You can buy the Juice now and get the controller in July also so if a deal should fall into your lap go for it .... If you can find a refurb at $ 575 add the controller at around $200 cost less then $800 for reg Juice...

It's all ready been said the Predator runs hotter then Edge ...Your playing with fire hear allbeit small....
No matter how you cut it "gauges should be installed" ....Cost $495 plus gauges ,do it your self install has to run $2/300 ....Puts the two very close in cost ....

The Predator has price by a little and scan tool operations in it's favor ....Soon I'll be able to tell you how it runs ....

The Juice power to spare ...Reputable long known diesel tuner .... Mackin endorsed .... ;)

56nomad make sure it is CA smog edition wouldn't want the enviro cops at your door ....

In the end you'll have to make the decision ....Yes alot has changed in that thread but in general it isn't bad source of info ....

Mac

:D :D :D

[ 05-29-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

sdaver
05-29-2003, 21:27
got both.......both have their advantages......tst power max is about all thats missing from socaldmaxs review.........and maybe the latest predator...........everyone that has posted they have the tst powermax has liked it.........lots to choose from and we all have our opinions...........for me its hot juice with the tires and speedo adjusted with the predator.......... :D dave

56Nomad
05-30-2003, 00:01
Mac wrote:

56nomad make sure it is CA smog edition wouldn't want the enviro cops at your door Hehehehehe..... got the 2002 Texas truck with no
California crap

Don't ask me how I got it registered in CA :D :D :rolleyes: tongue.gif

[ 05-30-2003, 12:26 AM: Message edited by: 56Nomad ]

DURAMONSTER
05-30-2003, 02:36
MORE MORE MORE I WANT MORE OPINIONS.

a64pilot
05-30-2003, 06:36
DURAMONSTER,
Whatever you choose, make sure you have a way to monitor your EGT's. Yes you would probably be safe if, Too expensive a gamble IMHO, get a pyrometer and know.

DinoMax
05-30-2003, 07:09
L decker, the Predator is certainly the easiest install. I am in no way a techie, or much of a wrench, and I installed mine in minutes. Just plug it in to the OBD diagnostic port, and it walks you right through the process. You can also make tune changes in minutes, and at any time, load your "stock" programming back in. I think that is the biggest advantage, especially while your truck is still under warranty. Just put it back to stock, and the dealer is none the wiser. I also do not tow, my truck is just a daily driver. I am running much larger tires, though. I feel the Predator adds plenty of power for my application, and when you add the scan tool ability, calibration features, etc., I think it is a great buy for the $$. Beware, though, once you feel the new rush of power, you will probably want to go beyond the entry level Predator, and add the JUICE. That is my dilema now.

David Proske
05-30-2003, 10:41
I went to the Edge website looking for info on their controller. Not much there. What all does it do?

Also, I am assuming that a tire size update can be done without a predator, like at the dealer??

GMC-2002-Dmax
05-30-2003, 15:03
Dave,

You and everyone else is S.O.L when it comes to recal for larger tires. Predator is the only thing I know of besides a true speed to recal.

THANKS GM!!!!! :eek:

GMC ;)

David Proske
05-30-2003, 23:30
Well alrighty then... As others have asked, just how confused would the computer system be if I installed 265 75 16 tires and didn't recall for the difference.

Another member has posted that a dealer could reflash for 265's but their "reflash" caused other grief with the computer.

Hound
05-31-2003, 00:11
My understanding of the dealer reflash is that it is an ABS correction. I don't believe it is a tire size/axle ratio speedo calibration like the Predator is capable of. In all I think the Predator is a good value for a 2 in 1 kind of thing. I am quite happy with the power improvement that it makes. That said, I don't have the Juice to compare the Predator to, but I have to believe what others here are saying about the power comparison since they're right about the EGTs being on the hot side.

sdaver
06-01-2003, 08:51
you would be off about 6% with the 265's......my 305's are about the same as 285's and mine was off 8%(slow)..........now its all correct with the predator........ :D dave