PDA

View Full Version : Got Predator!!

1BADDMAX
05-28-2003, 17:29
Holy Crap! The 100HP setting is pretty cool. I first tried it on 40HP and I thought man, this is pretty cool. Went down the road a little ways pulled over and programmed for 100HP. Got back on the road and couldn't believe the difference. When I got on it smoke poured out like a freight train. More power than I'll ever need (did I really say that!?). I don't have gauges so I don't plan on running 100HP. The rear tires have less tread now! Also I think the clutch didn't like it much. I was able to get it to slip. I bet the clutch wouldn't last long in that setting when beating on it like that. I need to fill up so I'm going to try the 65HP tune now. SMOKIN'

orange2
05-28-2003, 17:33
I held off a sc 300 lexus until about 80. I can't get my clutch to slip on the 100 hp, do you tow alot? i also don't have gauges but i am not towing anything and a blast to 110 shouldn't hurt it too bad. have fun, you will be back to the 100 setting before you know it.

king D
05-28-2003, 19:27
i have a pred to adds a good dose of power to say the least.works well as a stacker also.exaclty were is forest city in n.c......jess

mackin
05-28-2003, 19:55
king D

Do you run a LIL Predator into the mix or a lot ?? Something tells me the Predator has a longer pulse width or duration do to the added smoke,or less timing do to the higher EGT"S being reported ....Or just less timing all together...

You might know by the reaction you got stacking... Don't expect the Devil to step in and tell us any time soon ...

Mac :confused: :confused: But not really . ;)

[ 05-28-2003: Message edited by: mackin ]</p>

orange2
05-28-2003, 20:13
You have to lug it pretty good to get it to smoke bad. Once the boost comes up it goes away. You couldn't get it to smoke as bad with an auto i wouldn't think.

1BADDMAX
05-28-2003, 20:39
I tried 65 and then 100 again. I couldn't get the clutch to slip anymore, believe me I tried! I'm back on the 40 setting now. I think I can actually live with it at that setting. When it was smoking I could be in any gear and getting on it while it was running about 1800 RPM and up. I took a co-worker on a ride. He almost **** as I was ripping it through the gears smile.gif

King D.... I live in Shiloh area if you are familiar with that. I'm right off 221 and 74.

WhiteDuramax
05-28-2003, 21:00
Mac,
I did stack my predator on 100hp and my buddies reg. juice. On level 2 it ran pretty good when stacked, smoked nicely. Burned a lot of rubber also. Level 4 was too much timing I would say kinda sounded funny so I didnt stay there long, didnt try level 3 or with any other predator settings. Hopefully I can sometime, I am wanting to get somethin else to stack with the Predator, dont know what yet though. Need more smoke!

orange2
05-28-2003, 21:02
Yea miine will puff a pretty good cloud out when you 1st get on it at speed, it goes back to a faint smoke you can barely see till you shift again. i luv it. I would like to try a juice just to compare (hot juice). I guess if I need to go faster I just get the T/A out or the bike, but it sure is fun to drive this truck now.

Kennedy
05-28-2003, 21:43
orange2,

Just ask dmaxallitech. I hear he got a bit of a rude awakening when driving Tomac's Juiced truck today! :D

[ 05-28-2003: Message edited by: kennedy ]</p>

DMAX_Phil
05-28-2003, 21:57
I towed my trailer over the Grapevine and back this last weekend with the Predator in the tow mode (40HP). At night you can definitely tell it smokes a lot when stepping on the pedal to climb those 6% grades. The EGTs went to 1200 easily and would easily go to 1300 and once slightly over 1400. I backed off the pedal to keep it no higher then 1200. I could have kept in the 1400's at will.

Power was good towing my 7K lb. trailer and it definitely holds o/d much better. Unfortunately, I don't have a baseline but will drive the Grapevine stock next time to see the difference in EGT temps. If its the same EGT temp., I'm yanking the gauge out... I normally drive these mountains much harder then I did on this trip (with pyro).

The 100HP setting is sweet, it pulls strong with just a touch on the pedal. 40 to 100MPH is very quick.

Diablo needs to get rid of all the disclaimers you have to acknowledge, each time you program. You need to answer the same three or four screens every time. You would think once would make the lawyers happy - on second thought, maybe not.

My Predator came with the gear ratio default set to 3.72 and not 3.73. Anyone know why 3.72 is the default? I thought all DMAXs came with 3.73s.

Thanks.

Phil B.

mackin
05-29-2003, 04:49
Who wants to be a "Bud" and send me the contact name, number and address to get a Pred upgraded, for future reference ?? Perhaps I then can let you know if the 100 HP level is a mover and a shaker....Shake and rattle them hips of my dually back and forth that is .... ;)
E-mail or why not post here for the general audience to preserve .....

Mac :D :eek: :D

AlanL
05-29-2003, 06:29
After all of the questions I asked last week in another topic, my resolve broke down on Tuesday and I went ahead and ordered my Predator from JK... smile.gif

According to UPS its still in WI... I guess I'll have to wait until next week to feel the extra power. :cool:

sdaver
05-29-2003, 06:38
hey mac youve got mail.....dave

mackin
05-29-2003, 07:22
sdaver

Thank's Bud ..... ;)

I await a responce from said info obtained and used .....

I owe ya one .....

Mac smile.gif

DinoMax
05-29-2003, 10:06
Mackin, the info for Predator updates is: Diablo Motorsports aka Blue Dot Performance 1865 S.W. 4th Ave. Suite # D-2, Delray Beach, FL 33444 Phone # 561-908-0040 Fax# 561-908-0051 e-mail address is: nick@diablosport.com Lucky for me, they are only about a 1/2 hour south of mere here in FL. Went down last month to update mine from v1.03 to v1.04
Much to my surprise, instead of updating my old unit, they just handed me a brand new, in the box unit. The tech even came out to my truck to make sure it loaded up properly, and show me how to use the speedo/odo recalibration feature, because the instructions were not yet in the DMax manual. Pretty cool, huh?! :D

[ 05-29-2003: Message edited by: DinoMax ]</p>

1BADDMAX
05-29-2003, 14:51
Leaving out for New York tomorrow. Going up with a buddy to pick up a Mercedes 300E from his parents. Plan on running 65HP setting on the way up and 40 on the way back with the car. I'll be sure to let ya'll know how it goes.

king D
05-29-2003, 18:36
the pred seems to have very little timing becuase a stacker with timing lowers egts a good deal.i reun a va on 75 and pred on 100 this works the best,add in some propane and its mid to low 13s with a stock tranny.were is that bd tranny i just dont know its looking a little late we shall see....jess

orange2
05-29-2003, 21:34
Kennedy, is there really that much of a difference now that the pred. is 100 hp, compared to the 90 hp juice? I have read the hot juice is comparable to the tst box, or better. You need to quit saying these things, I am trying to buy another house and don't have any spare money anymore. But, what would another 800 be on a home loan&gt;... I have to quit reading this stuff. :D

king D
05-30-2003, 04:42
orange in my opinion there is not enough performance difference between the 90 juice and the 100 pred.the juice does have more performance,but not that much more.however the 125 is no comp at all

GMC-2002-Dmax
06-07-2003, 12:41
Got a Predator - v1.04, 5 different tunes, Stock-100hp.

Pulled the Hot Juice completely out of truck, married the Predator, nice ceramony I must say :eek: , anyway no problems loading the 40 hp tune in with 125 mph limiter. Easy to do.

My Luck of coarse.........................

It's raining here so I can't say whether or not it compares with the Juice. I will be trying the 60hp Juice vs. 60hp Predator tune later so hopefully it will be as good. I will try each tune to see what is what and leave the Predator in until after I give it a good shake-down.

So far I like it. TIME WILL TELL

GMC :D

[ 06-09-2003, 07:30 AM: Message edited by: GMC-2002-Dmax ]

Burner
06-07-2003, 13:29
GMC-2002-..... Try the "SPEED LIMITER" and tell me what happens. Sit in park and rev it slowly, tell me what happens. I cannot hit 100 anymore......... :confused:

Burner.... :mad: :( :rolleyes: tongue.gif

GMC-2002-Dmax
06-07-2003, 13:44
Originally posted by Burner:
GMC-2002-..... Try the "SPEED LIMITER" and tell me what happens. Sit in park and rev it slowly, tell me what happens. I cannot hit 100 anymore......... :confused:

Burner.... :mad: :( :rolleyes: tongue.gif Burner, :confused:

Not sure what you are asking me to do. I have an 02 so I think your truck may act different, JAMES????? Anyone got an ides?????

Burner can you be more specific or e-mail me.

GMC ;)

DMAX Daddy
06-07-2003, 13:59
I am interested in the Predator for a few of the side features, but am planning on getting the Hot Juice.

Is it possible to stack any of the Predator's power with the Hot Juice? Im interested in any set up you guys are running.

I'd hate to get the Predator just to adjust top speed and my Speedo. ~3% error ( ~2 MPH at 60MPH) isnt worth $450, no matter how good the product is.

GMC-2002-Dmax
06-07-2003, 14:51
Originally posted by DMAX Daddy:
I am interested in the Predator for a few of the side features, but am planning on getting the Hot Juice.

Is it possible to stack any of the Predator's power with the Hot Juice? Im interested in any set up you guys are running.

I'd hate to get the Predator just to adjust top speed and my Speedo. ~3% error ( ~2 MPH at 60MPH) isnt worth $450, no matter how good the product is. DMAX Daddy,

Although the Predator does not do everything a Tech 2 does it does enough for me for now. I have the option to go faster than 95mph, change my tire size and monitor vehicle parameters, and change gear ratio if I lift the truck and put 4:10 or 4:56 gears in :eek: :eek: .

For me that was enough reasons to buy now. I am expecting Diablo will continue to add features to the Predator thru updates. I am also going to stack with the HOT Juice and see what combo works best for my truck.

Is it worth it, only you can answer that. I know a true speed requires splicing the harness and that's all you get.

I was a little leary of the Predator at first, but I am liking it so far.

If you really want one e-mail me I have some info for you.

GMC :D

Kennedy
06-07-2003, 15:16
Originally posted by orange2:
Kennedy, is there really that much of a difference now that the pred. is 100 hp, compared to the 90 hp juice? I have read the hot juice is comparable to the tst box, or better. You need to quit saying these things, I am trying to buy another house and don't have any spare money anymore. But, what would another 800 be on a home loan&gt;... I have to quit reading this stuff. :D I see 96-98HP gain on the Juice 90 where the Predator 100 gains about 10 less HP. Just a simple matter of one under rating, and one over rating the HP. BOTH are strong performers. FWIW, the 110 VA is about same HP (less TQ) as the 90HP juice as well.

dmaxalliTech
06-07-2003, 16:11
Kennedy says:

Just ask dmaxallitech. I hear he got a bit of a rude awakening when driving Tomac's Juiced truck today! I have the Predater and run it 100hp tune. Took Tomacs truck for a ride with Hot Juice, I felt bad, beating on a guys truck while he is in the pass seat :D

Predater is good performer for the money, no doubt. Good for me cause I wanted to correct my speedo. Hot Juice is good for that a$$ whoopin to the rear tires :D

RWTD
06-07-2003, 17:18
Originally posted by Burner:
GMC-2002-..... Try the "SPEED LIMITER" and tell me what happens. Sit in park and rev it slowly, tell me what happens. I cannot hit 100 anymore.........Burner, have you been able to test since you made me stay up waaaaaaaaaay past my bedtime the other night? HAHA!

Really, though, you've tested in the last 2 days and you still can't get over 100???

Burner
06-07-2003, 21:26
James.....check your phone messages...........................bla, blaha, blababbal blya ba, bubabla, babula, blha. :D

No and yes. The "walk through" we did was not changed as I tried several times to hit 97 or better. The truck never made it to 100. However :rolleyes: , I did change the program to 100 and got results. I hit 100 and then 102, back to back. ...... Why? :confused: Why would it work, then not work, then work again?

Burner--------&gt; :D

WhiteDuramax
06-08-2003, 08:55
I had the chance to meet Mr. Tomac and is truck at Muncie. He beat me pullin of course by about 15ft. probably has somethin to do with some of DmaxAllitechs work!

Kennedy
06-08-2003, 16:08
So let's see some results from Muncie!

Gotta split and finish my OD/LO switch install. I figure I'll get a bunch of razzing if I take it to MT with the wires wrapped around the brake release and a pair of bare wires there to be touched together... :eek:

GMC-2002-Dmax
06-09-2003, 05:46
To All,

Well I have tried a little stacking and have the Hot Juice back in the truck. :eek:

I am currently running the Predator in 40HP Tow with the Hot Juice on L4/125hp T/H mode and in L3/90hp Normal mode.

Lots of low end power, great response, great shifts surprisingly and no pinging. :eek:

GMC ;)

More info to come. ;) I think I may load the 60 Hp Predator Program and stack with a lower level on the Juice.

Too much fun :D

[ 06-09-2003, 07:29 AM: Message edited by: GMC-2002-Dmax ]

ZFMax
06-13-2003, 14:56
Got my Predator on Monday and I've been messing with it this week.

I haven't seen a dyno sheet, but the truck is noticeably more responsive off idle and from low rpm, in any of the tunes. It makes the truck feel more effortless to drive. I really like it pulling away from lights or any time you have to accelerate up to highway speeds. You don't have to lean on it near as much, it just goes. And it definitely shortened my passing distances.

I messed around with all the tunes and settled on 40hp. Only modest levels of smoke, very responsive, good acceleration, and shouldn't be too hard on things.

I couldn't really feel any difference between the 40hp and 60hp tunes, although I could see more smoke. I'm sure the difference is there.

At 85hp it starts smoking too much. I mean, it's handy for when you finally get around the occassional pack of rude bicyclists, but most of the time it's annoying.

The 100hp tune smokes a *lot* and also the truck started getting really jerky when I'd try to put around slowly like through a parking lot. It's kind of hair trigger as you *just* start to give it throttle. And it's very easy to send the pyrometer sweeping past 1200 degrees on that setting, even empty.

My only gripe, and it's minor: every single time I go to change the tune, it gives me an error on the first try, something about an interpreter error, and then it works on the second try.

I probably couldn't rationalize $450 for some additional response and 40 more hp, but the fact that it has so many nice OBD-II functions helps. I have an OBD-II scanner but this one is better and implements more functions.

DMAX Daddy
06-13-2003, 15:21
From my Predator Post:

Predator Problem #1:

Today I was pulling into a parking spot and the engine surged REAL bad. To the point the brakes wouldnt hold it and I had to slam it into park.

It happened againd shortly thereafter turning out of the parking lot to the right and coming to a stop at a Stop Sign.

Once is odd, twice in 15 minutes is Strike 1! :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: Needless to say that is TWO of us that have the jerky problem

ZFMax
06-13-2003, 15:32
Sounds like yours is more severe than mine!

Mine was really just a throttle control problem, very difficult to drive it slow because only slight pressure on the throttle gave more power than I wanted and I was just jerking the truck all over the place in slow manuevers.

It hasn't been an issue for me on the lower tunes, though.

1BADDMAX
06-13-2003, 17:29
Drove down to GA to visit some friends. Just got in and ran 60HP setting the whole way. Not much different than that 40HP setting. Definitely a little more smoke. Still looks like I'm getting around 20 on the Interstate making this short trip (about 140 miles). I've only ran 100HP a couple of times, but I never had any jerkiness problems. I do have the ZF tranny though. You definitely have to be easy on the go peddle in 2nd gear or it will ROAST em' off smile.gif