PDA

View Full Version : LLY Turbo Size/Ultimate HP ability

xwing
01-25-2004, 07:50
Does anybody know the difference in size/flowrate, ultimate horsepower ability, of the new LLY TURBOCHARGER as vs. the 1st generation Duramax's "original" turbo?

We know our current 1st gen Duramax's can be upgraded via simple computer boxes to really ridiculous power levels smile.gif , like M Tomac's 11 second/110mph truck (edited, sorry prior wrong person).
So, the compressor flow/turbine flow ability of the original setup has LOTS of room for making more horsepower...

For 2004/LLY, did GM REDUCE the size/flow capability of the turbo/?injectors, to get better lowend spoolup/lowend and midrange torque...at the EXPENSE of ultimate hop-up-ability?

(For example, some Brand X trucks have to upgrade turbos and injectors to reach Duramax levels of power which WE only need a Hot Juice Box and/or some other electronic doodad. WE never have to, until like 11sec/110+mph quartermiles at least!)

Will the new LLY Duramax, with more power STOCK, be able to upgrade as much, worse, or ?better than us without bolting on major parts like turbos? Turbo flowrate/compressor map/turbine flow ability impact this issue BIGtime.
Anybody knowing the brand of the turbos have flowmaps of the turbos/turbines for the 2 types??

[ 01-25-2004, 07:07 PM: Message edited by: xwing ]

Max Power
01-25-2004, 11:51
Originally posted by xwing:
, like Mackin's 11 second/110mph truck.
Mackin's dually is running 11's? I don't think so. You must be mistaking Mackin for Mtomac.

SoCalDMAX
01-26-2004, 13:34
That's a very good question. I know the increase in responsiveness/quick spoolup is due to the variable vane feature. I was just *hoping* that in fact it was a larger/higher cap. turbo that gave the best of both worlds, quick spoolup and high flow.

I guess someone could go to the IHI site and the Garrett site and compare the numbers on the 2 turbos. I've been swamped lately, but I'll see if I can look into it tonight or tomorrow night.

Regards, Steve

More Power
01-26-2004, 19:06
Eventually, someone here will experiment with twin turbos. I suspect this is what the top DHRA Duramax's will eventually wind up using.

MP

okauto
03-19-2004, 15:57
This question on the ultimate capability of the LLY came up several months ago, and as far as I've seen nobody has responded. Any clues from anyone on whether the LLY will be able to be upgraded as well as the previous Duramaxes? I'm getting ready to order an LLY CC SB SLT, but am hesitant as I've seen very little posted as to whether the new trucks are really better than the 2003's.

mark45678
03-20-2004, 19:22
I think the new lly truck have slightly smaller piping from the turbo to intercooler and back to the intake ! I would guess its to help with lag?