PDA

View Full Version : Oil drain rate

Seattle Steve
05-27-2003, 23:53
In talking to a fellow DMAX owner, he mentioned that when changing his oil, he has to remove the filler cap or else his oil will gurgle out slowly. Mine runs out fast like it's under pressure with the filler cap still on and the dipstick snugly in place. I do not know much about our crankcase ventilation system, however the difference seems odd to me as if something is amiss. Thoughts? :confused:

Jack's Dmax
05-28-2003, 01:33
Seattle Steve,

I just changed my oil for the first time and it pours out just fine. Get a Fumoto valve it's a great improvement over removing the drain plug etc. http://fumotovalve.com/ I save empty plastic one gallon milk containers and drain the oil into them for disposal later.

Jack

mackin
05-28-2003, 05:11
Mine like yours was like popping a cork on a shaken Champagne bottle .... It would splash all over the place, drip, run onto the skid plate, in addition .....The fumoto solved all this ..... Good product .... Not sure where he's coming from unless he is draining Dino 15w 40 in REAL cold temps,cold oil ..... Removing filler cap should have no affect on the drain I would believe .....

Mac

a64pilot
05-28-2003, 05:31
Sounds like his crankcase vent tube may be partially clogged

DmaxMaverick
05-29-2003, 04:18
A friend just bought a new '03 in CA. It has EGR and a cat. Of course, I had to check it out and make comparisons to my '01. I could not find the crankcase vent tube that mine has, or any external vent at all. It appears that his venting is internal, perhaps into the intake somewhere like on 6.2 and 6.5's. It could also be that the vent was just moved and I didn't find it.

If this is the case, then it is possible that the crankcase is a closed system, and may cause slow draining. He hasn't done a change yet, but we'll definitely address that.

Just an idea. If you have CA emmissions, this could be the reason. Maybe not. Cheers

AlanL
05-29-2003, 06:35
I've done two oil changes on my '03. In both cases the oil came streaming out (then when there was about a quart left, it started to come out more slowly so it could coat the skid plate with an even layer of dirty oil. :mad smile.gif I hadn't opened the oil fill or dip stick, either.

Did the guy with the problem of the oil draining slowly warm up his truck first? That 15W40 is going to be on the thicker side if its not at least partially up to temp. Just a thought.

I ordered a futomo valve that I'm going to install next week when I do the next oil change. No more oily skid plate ;)

-Al

Seattle Steve
05-30-2003, 22:12
Thanks for all the comments! I'm gonna check out a few of the ideas mentioned here and talk to my buddy for comparison and will post anything I learn from that.