PDA

View Full Version : DSG Phaser gear drive installation trouble

duluthsvo
07-18-2004, 14:27
I'm in the process of completing a fresh 6.5 TD for my truck and have hit a snag. The long block was machined (crank turned and line bored, Mahle .030 pistons, new heads, DSG Phaser and girdle, etc.)and assembled by a a friends shop that is known for doing top notch work. Upon installing the new SS Diesel HO water pump kit, I noticed that the passenger side of the IP gear appears to be making contact with the timing cover. Has anyone run into either interferance or tight tolerances in this location? Question #2, torque value for the bolt that holds the 90 degree oil filter housing to the block? Thanks for all your help. DuluthSVO

Barry Nave
07-18-2004, 14:36
Your saying the IP gear is rubbing. :eek:
Not the DSG gear install.
If the IP is installed right and bolts tight it should not touch. :confused:
If the timing cover is installed right the DSG gear should also be ok. :confused:
I've had my DSG gear now for 32k miles.
I LIKE IT ALOT. :D tongue.gif

duluthsvo
07-18-2004, 16:33
Both DSG gears appear to be on plane. IP gear (top and forward most towards the cover) appears to be hitting the cover on the passenger side but misses on the drivers side. The cover has been unaltered and appears to be installed correctly. The only thing that I can think happend is that the IP gear has been mislocated somehow (out of concentricity)???? To the best of my knowledge, the IP gear is keyed or doweled of the cam as well. Right?

Barry Nave
07-19-2004, 03:28
If all is put together as should be then can you remove a little alum. to get clearence?
This is the first I have ever heard of :confused:
Does the cover show any sign of rubbing before?
R&R of the cover should not make any diff.
Double check all the timing gears.
As to the IP gear it can go on just one way.
Can you turn that gear alone and check that it is turning true?

moondoggie
07-19-2004, 08:23
Good Day!

You said,

duluthsvo
07-19-2004, 09:10
I posed the same concern (fact or myth) to my machinist whom I've used for years. He showed me the radii in question and explained that this would only come into play under the worst conditions (.030). My crank was only turned .005 and mains were line bored. Can anyone offer any engine failures stemming from a turned crank?

Barry Nave
07-19-2004, 09:19
Most of the time the crank only need's to be repolish. .005 doesn't sound bad though yet not worth spending the money for a turn job.

gmctd
07-19-2004, 09:20
None of that should affect the camshaft location, whatever other problems they may cause.

Is the rear cam bore plug installed to correct depth?
Is the cam retaining plate installed and secured?

Both should correctly locate the camshaft in the block.

Is the DSG camgear installed correct side out?

Same for the inj pump drive\driven gears?

duluthsvo
07-19-2004, 09:28
Keith at DSG says he believes that the Phaser gear is likely not fully seated onto the cam (sometimes tight interferrance fit)causing the IP gear to be misalligned. Cover will need to come off, gear reseated via socket and hammer, and then a quick runout check. I'll check the other suggestions at the same time. Anyone know the torque in question from previous post (bolt to attach the oilfilter elbow to block)?

Kennedy
07-19-2004, 11:24
Or the thrust washer dropped off the "hub" of the gear and got squashed...

Dimsdale
07-19-2004, 16:38
47 lb-ft for question #2. Manual says to retorque after running for a bit. Do as Greg Landuyt says and seal the big O-ring with RTV to prevent leaks.

tom.mcinerney
07-19-2004, 19:25
Duluthsvo --

Did your machinist 'turn'(=lathe) or 'grind' (=crank-grinder/grindstone) your crank??

I'm thinking if he only removed that little material the thing is fine. Did he 'selectively fit' the bearings, using one .010" undersize bearing shell, and one standard sized??

Curious now.

duluthsvo
07-19-2004, 19:37
Bearings were split in size (standards and .010's). All numbers mic'd out after polishing. During the installation of the mains/girdle, the block line bore was way off which drove the additional rework. Dimsdale...thanks for the torque numbers.

Kennedy
07-20-2004, 05:45
[quote]Originally posted by moondoggie:
[b] Good Day!

You said,

CareyWeber
07-20-2004, 06:14
[quote]Originally posted by kennedy:
[b] </font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by moondoggie:
[b] Good Day!

You said,

Kennedy
07-21-2004, 06:17
Index grinding blueprints the throws to the same height, and 90

duluthsvo
07-23-2004, 17:48
Final culprit was a poorly installed spacer between the cam thrust plate and the upper gear for the Phazer. Hopefully DSG can overnight me a washer and get it through customs so I can get the truck back on the road. Anxious to see the difference in all the motor mods. Thanks for all you advice. Duluthsvo