PDA

View Full Version : Loud cooling Fan Normal?

FisHn2DMax
05-27-2003, 11:30
I just pulled my 5'er for the first time in Temp's hitting 90 Plus degrees. I guess I've never had the engine cooling fan come on before, because when it did, it scared the $#*t out of me! It is loud!!! It cycled frequently, Is this Normal? Water Temp never went above 210, trans temp max was 180. Fan seemed to come on more with Tow/haul mode enabled?

Is the DuraMax LOUD cooling fan normal? Is it normal for it to cycle on and off every few minutes in Tow/Haul mode, or do I have a possible cooling problem? I was towing a 10K Lb 5'er on a 90 degree day on a hilly interstate at 70 MPH.

Other than the LOUD fan, I had great power and mileage (12.2 MPG) during our annual Memorial day weekend trip.

a64pilot
05-27-2003, 11:37
It's normal and even wanted, keeps intake charge temp down as well. Was louder probably in tow/haul mode as engine RPM was probably higher

schnier
05-27-2003, 12:14
Something else that makes it come on sooner is the AC. Those coils create a lot of condensation that the fan helps remove. I agree you know when it comes on. Sometimes on a cold start up mine will also run for about a 1/4 mile until the fan clutch warms up. Why I do not know but I have had other trucks do this also.

Turbo Al
05-27-2003, 13:08
Mine does the cold start thing once in a while -- mostly when I leave work after a night shift. I have to go up a steep hill as soon as I leave the parking lot.

Diesel Brad
05-29-2003, 15:28
Driving away immediately after cold start-up is probably the only time I've heard the fan. It is very loud, but kicks off after the shift to second.

The fan spins even after cold start-up. I assume this is to put a load on the engine to help it warm up more quickly.