PDA

View Full Version : Windshield Washer Pump

autocrosser
11-08-2004, 18:36
I just had to replace my washer pump. When I got it off I found that the plastic bottom of the pump which contains the impeller had totally fallen apart as well as the plastic line that is molded to fit a grove in the reservor and connect to a rubber hose further on.

Is this common or could some of the washer fluids I have used been resoponsible? Is it possible that acid from the battery did it?? I have had very little of that to leak as I keep it pretty clean. The pumps are expensive. They run about $60 bucks list.

diesel65
11-08-2004, 18:48
It's the battery acid that eats the plastic away.

autocrosser
11-09-2004, 05:13
I wouldn't think the battery acid would eat the plastic but I'll put a shield over it to make sure it doesn't happen in the future. They are too expensive and too much trouble to replace.

slagona
11-09-2004, 05:28
Can you give me a quick tutorial on getting the resevoir out?

I have to replace the molded line going from the pump to the inner fender - mine has a crack in it.

I was too lazy to look it up in the manual, but it looked to me like you have to remove the grill to get to a bolt that is preventing the resevoir from coming out once everything else is unbolted.

Winter is coming and I'm going to need fluid....

diesel65
11-09-2004, 14:46
No need to remove grille to get tank out, remove the left side turn signal housing and you will see a screw holding the grill to the radiator support.
Remove that screw.
Pull the battery out.
Remove the battery tray (one nut inside the wheel well and a bolt holding it to the fender) release the tabs holding the tray on the radiator side. Inspect the tray that it is not broken along where it clips to the support (bad GM design, rough vehicle usage and the battery drops down onto the tank).
Remove one screw holding fill pipe then pull fill pipe out of tank.
Unplug the electrical connector and disconnect the pipe for the washer fluid (located where you removed the bolt for the battery tray).
Now you should be able to pull the tank out.

65-f100
11-11-2004, 19:46
Autocrosser - I had the exact thing happen on my 96. It was definitely the battery acid causing it. One quick tip - I bought the pump and hose from my local dealer and paid about what you are saying. I then checked at Advance auto parts. It was the EXACT same pump at a fraction of the cost. It even had the same part # on it. I took the dealer part back and got a refund. Save the $ - just buy the hose from the dealer. Advance also offers a warranty and will be much easier to deal with if you ever have to replace. Not that bad a job - getting the battery tray out is the worst part. Good luck.

gvt
11-14-2004, 07:41
I replaced my original washer fluid pump about a month ago. I replaced the second pump yesterday! The pump that was in service for a month was brittle and cracked almost as bad as the original. At first I thought battery acid was the cause, but when I replaced the first pump I also topped off the batteries and they were still topped off yesterday. I don't think a month of exposure to a very minimal amount of battery acid would cause the plastic to get brittle.

Could the culprit be an undersized, overheating pump motor? I tend to use lots of washer fluid, maybe the extended run times are too much for the POS!

If this on fails in short order I may try different pump that mounts in-line in the hose and just run a piece of hard plastic into the tank, were the OEM pump is located, for the fluid pick-up.

Any suggestions for a better in-line pump? Thanks

autocrosser
11-14-2004, 12:14
I just installed my new pump yesterday. I added a plastic mylar film shield over it and also one under the battery tray to force any acid to drain in the opposite direction. I believe it was definitely the acid that did it. I really haven't had any leaking batteries but you could see the film on the plastic tube and pump.