PDA

View Full Version : Need advise on testing a new Dmax

Web
09-14-2004, 08:41
My 2003 2500HD D/A was totaled and has been replaced with a 2004 LLY 3500 dually. While the 2004 is still a baby (just passing 10k) I am concerned about it being solid and hesitant to invest in it without checking it out first.

Specifically,
-the '04 engine temp climbs past 210 on almost any hill of size while pulling my 13k 5th wheel.
-it is much slower to accelerate in all situations
-just feels like much less power and get's about 1.5 less MPG in all situations.
-the tranny temp reaches 200-220 on bigger hills.
-
None of this was encountered on the '03 in the same situations and loads.

I've had the rig into various dealers and there are "no codes" but the truck just doesn't seem right.

So I want to get the truck fully tested to see if it is really OK, if it is I will invest in upgrades (like engine brake, and an chip/exhaust package like banks) if not I will fix it or trade it and try again with an '05.

But I don't know what kind of shop to take it to, to have it really tested and what to ask for. I'm located in the central coast area of california but I'll drive to wherever to get this done right.

Thanks in advance

More Power
09-14-2004, 13:26
Evaluating differences between trucks is helped when a baseline performance has been established. I recommend new owners perform a 0-60 using a stopwatch. This can help to determine whether a given truck's performance changes over time, or when comparing this truck to another. Let someone ride behind you in the back seat to man the stopwatch, while the driver only needs to be concerned with a safe drive. Launch the same way for each test - in that you should just accelerate from a dead stop, without a powerbrake.

Regarding temps - does your fan-clutch engage when it should, or in similar situations to what you remember for your earlier truck?

Your dealer can use a Tech II to evaluate the accelerator pedal for 100%, and he can look at a variety of engine sensors (i.e. boost pressure, rail pressure, injector fuel delivery, etc.). All of which can affect power.

MP

WanaDmxsub
09-14-2004, 20:15
Everything I've read it sounds like the things your seeing are just the nature of the beast with the '04 LLY's. There is a new computer upgrade out. I believe it's for the '04's but I could be wrong. Don't bother with the GMC dealer in SM.I have heard nothing good about them.
A friend of mine with an '03 trust this guy with his truck.
Ken's Diesel and General Repair
132 Easy Street
Buellton, CA 93427
805-688-2246
I went out and talked to him a couple of weeks ago about installing some gages but I don't think he wanted to do it. Said it would cost me $80.00 an hour to do the install. Other than that I got the impression that he knew what he was talking about. He also stoped what he was doing to talk and didn't brush me off.

BassinRVer
09-15-2004, 08:32
You could go get it dyno'd, at the rear wheels the stock truck should be around 250HP.

Web
09-16-2004, 10:41
With regards to the Fan-Clutch...I assume it's the one I hear winding-up as opposed to instant on..if so it comes on much more often in the '04 but I can't discern a pattern...but i don't know when it "should" come on so i can't say if it appropiate or not.

I will talk to Ken's Diesel (thanks for the suggestion).

A dnyo seems like a good macro test and benchmark to have.

Thanks for the input and more welcomed