PDA

View Full Version : New Truck?

BigDog1
08-25-2003, 12:44
Thinking about buying a new truck, Can anyone give me a reason not to go with the Ford F series. I enjoy my GMC but it looks like Ford is putting out a good product?

[ 08-26-2003, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: BigDog1 ]

mackin
08-25-2003, 13:18
Originally posted by BigDog1:
Thinking about buying a new truck, Can anyone give me a reason not to go with the Ford F series. I enjoy my GMC buy it looks like Ford is putting out a good product? Your kidding right ?? http://www.turbodieselregister.com/ubb/hihi.gif
It would be easier for us to convince you to buy a Duramax here ...

Your going to ask a bunch of GM guys why not by a Ford ..... How much time ya got ?? http://www.turbodieselregister.com/ubb/hihi.gif

For starters go here .... Where Diesels Stop ,some for good,some get bought back (http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=2003Drivetrain)....

In any rate don't be looking for a leftover ....

Wait at least till the 04's hit the block ...Hopefully they will have many unresolved issues solved ....

Good luck ....

Mac

hoot
08-25-2003, 13:20
Must be a troll ;)

chuntag95
08-25-2003, 13:24
I can give you major two reasons:
1. Injectors
2. Turbo
Furd has been having all kinds of problems with both. If you really want a furd, I'd wait another year to let them finish the major bug fixes.
These are more a matter of taste as opposed to reliability.
3. Chevy seats are way more comfortable.
4. Lower ride height for easier towing.
5. Shorter turning radius.
6. The Diesel Page doesn't have much info on furds. tongue.gif

sdaver
08-25-2003, 13:28
you should buy a ford and move to

http://www.thedieselstop.com/

be sure and stay stock :D

http://www.trollalert.com/
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL59/718709/1218122/32509309.jpg

[ 08-25-2003, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: sdaver ]

DURA-MAX3
08-25-2003, 15:21
We have two of these new 6.0 powerjokes and here is a quick list of problems..Injectors, turbo's, Leaking oil between engine and tranny, Idleing problems when motor is cold. Tranny slamming in to gear after hesitating. More shop time than job time so far...

HD-Nate
08-25-2003, 15:39
This is a joke right :rolleyes:

http://asia.news.yahoo.com/030814/3/12wnf.html

If not, go the above and then come back and say you still want to buy a F*rd:

They have turned into a PITA for F*rd. They have had nothing but problems since its introduction. My Son works at the local Ford Heavy Truck dealership, they are droping new motors in them at a rate of a couple a week. His dealership has already been involved in 30+ buy backs from Ford.

If Ford makes such a great truck, why are they using GM's ALLISON transmission.

More Power
08-25-2003, 17:00
If I remember correctly, BigDog's membership application indicated he was looking for information on both GM and Ford's new diesel.

So, I think his question is likely a valid one.

More information about 6.0L reliability will be included in the upcoming 2003 TDP Pull-Off event coverage. It's a small sample to be sure, but...

MP

chevmeister
08-25-2003, 17:07
reason 1
Macins bombed truck will last longer than a stock furd 6.0 at least untill they fix it
reason 2
"What is wrong with keeping everything stock and enjoying the benifits of a long life for your truck?" nothing at all the furd should last you at least 3 or 4 days and just think with the furd you get a new truck after 6 months. you want to keep it stock and have it last, either buy the gm or wait for a reliable ford. oh and by the way if you must buy a furd the king ranch edition had the only comfy furd seat ive ever sat in.

sdaver
08-25-2003, 19:39
mp it probably was a valid one if it was his first but his first post(what does it take to run a 14 second..) impression was a trolling impression. :rolleyes: dave

HD Hauling
08-25-2003, 20:10
Yes I can tell you a good reason.
I'm on my 2nd engine with just a little over 10000 miles on it and it's running like crap and using oil like 300 miles to a quart!
The ticking noise that the GM So Called Engineers say due to the "Close Tolerences" is getting louder with more miles being put on!
My friend got his 03 Ford crewcab with the new 6.0 and is pulling a 36' 5th wheel w/3 slides.The total weight of the two loaded is 18897lbs.
I with my 33' single slide 5th wheel and extended cab both at 17750lbs.
Went camping last week with me in the lead was pushing me up the hills in 5th while our D-Max was sreaming 3000rpms in 4th.
So be ready to read what is coming after this is posted.
My advise is try them both out and weigh the differences both good and bad.
It's a lot of money your spending for a truck so take your time if you can and don't let the die hards who claim they have the best tell you anything different,for I am a total GM Fan but found out not to believe everything that is said!
Have a good day

koolgt
08-26-2003, 09:43
i can give u some more reasons..u keep my job, ummm..dmax came out on top with the JDpower blizt award, the duramax has the fewest customer returns compared to ford and dodge, and yeah when the new 04 duramax comes out it will put the powerjoke out to pasture;)

hoot
08-26-2003, 09:59
Originally posted by koolgt:
and yeah when the new 04 duramax comes out it will put the powerjoke out to pasture;) How?

DURA-MAX3
08-26-2003, 10:04
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I don't think ford is using an allison tranny, i think this is false information. I think they copied the ally but it is not made by allison...

mackin
08-26-2003, 12:54
Originally posted by DURA-MAX3:
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I don't think ford is using an Allison tranny, I think this is false information. I think they copied the ally but it is not made by Allison... Their not !!!

They have engineered a MIMIC of the Allison ... The Ford camp is convinced it will take what ever is thrown at it, so far ... The ones that dare do to frequent lift miles ... I'm sure Ford would luv to deny warranty coverage ... Although I'm sure it is way better then what it replaced do to the fact it is an electronically controlled tranny as oppose to a rubberband ... The Torqushift does not have the built in safety the Allison has ... So this bombers will never know truly for how long they will last before it's to late .... All they'll have is old school "sniff" test on the stick ... Guess they'll have to wait for the first one to grenade ... :eek:

Mac

DURA-MAX3
08-26-2003, 14:25
HD-Nate said it was an allison ford was using not me...I think they just copied it real close...

HD-Nate
08-26-2003, 15:50
Originally posted by HD-Nate:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Their not !!!
Mac ARE TOO..... tongue.gif

Quote from:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/specs/2001_superduty.html

[quote]
Performance Is a Priority

The Super Duty F-650 and F-750 offer the commercial truck buyer exceptional powertrain choices and configurations that let them build the truck they need, whatever job they have in mind.

Three outstanding diesel engines are available with a wide choice of transmissions. Both the Caterpillar 3126B and Cummins

Joe.G
08-26-2003, 17:56
You sir, do not know what you are talking about, we are talking F-350, which has a 6 liter and a new 5 speed Furd automatic. Drove my b-inlaws and was quite pleased with the way the trans. shifted, it has the cold engine problems talked about earlier and Furd is replacing the truck. They flew an engineer in from Detroit and he could not resolve the problem, b-inlaw is a diehard Furd man. What can I say?

sdaver
08-26-2003, 19:26
oh I think he does he's just poking a little fun :D most dodge guys I know would kill for an allison and its braking ability :D ........hell gm should sell it to them all maybe the upgrades would get better and cheaper :D dave

smartfix
08-26-2003, 20:07
Hello Guys

I can tell you for a FACT!!! Ford F250sd and 350sd Does Not have a allison in the powerstrokes..We run a major fleet of them and If you can show me its a Allison you win.. Fords have a real poor tranny, unit we have so many of these units burn up .. We have the 7.3 Diesels .. And Not adding no more fords
to our fleet.. We have now made a major switch to the Duramax units..WE Will Not Buy the new 6.0 Diesel now to many Bugs.. LOVE our new Duramax units.. &lt;ALLISON in a Ford That will be the Day When a F250SD or 350SD gets one &lt;HAHAHA&gt;

From steve

mackin
08-26-2003, 20:28
Here you go Dog ..

=&gt;Not a proud moment for Furd (http://www.freep.com/money/autonews/diesel20_20030820.htm)

Mac :eek:

BigDog1
08-27-2003, 06:07
Guys
Thanks for the feedback. I think I will stay GMC!
As far as the Troll stuff (Sdaver), you need to lighten up ! The only person I have had doubts about was "Ahpilot". He claims to be some big "Test Pilot" but I feel he is more suited to work at Goobers filling station somewhere in Alabama! The rest of you folks are straight shooters, Thanks!

hoot
08-27-2003, 06:52
Originally posted by smartfix:
Hello Guys

I can tell you for a FACT!!! Ford F250sd and 350sd Does Not have a allison in the powerstrokes..We run a major fleet of them and If you can show me its a Allison you win.. Fords have a real poor tranny, unit we have so many of these units burn up .. We have the 7.3 Diesels .. And Not adding no more fords
to our fleet.. We have now made a major switch to the Duramax units..WE Will Not Buy the new 6.0 Diesel now to many Bugs.. LOVE our new Duramax units.. &lt;ALLISON in a Ford That will be the Day When a F250SD or 350SD gets one &lt;HAHAHA&gt;

From steve There is an Allison 2400 in a Ford F650 in our company parking lot right now. It's bolted to a CAT. :D

sdaver
08-27-2003, 08:12
:confused: I hear the dodges are real nice.......maybe you should.........

a64pilot
08-27-2003, 09:35
Hey Dog,
I offered to come visit if you managed land in south GA, but you wouldn't even post where you live/work, so who's for real?

DURA-MAX3
08-27-2003, 09:39
Some people need to learn the difference between a truck and a pick-up. Yes you can get a Ford with an allison in a TRUCK, but not in the pick-ups...

BigDog1
08-27-2003, 10:37
ahpilot
So now you are in the cyber stalking game? If you are a real Test Pilot,(Or pilot at all) when do you work? I see by your postings that you sit in front of the computer all day! Perhaps Goober's filling station has a computer and you have access between fillups?

[ 08-27-2003, 12:31 PM: Message edited by: BigDog1 ]

hoot
08-27-2003, 10:55
Apaches have plenty of computing on board :D

a64pilot
08-27-2003, 11:47
Cyber stockings? I give up, maybe something you wear to keep you feet warm or do you put it on your head when holding up convience stores?
I think I posted before where I work, Aviation Technical Test Center at Cairns Army airfield, Ft Rucker Al., that's no secret. I've noticed at least one person posting here that works at redstone I believe. If I wasn't real too many people here could run the BS flag up as they say.
Yes I often don't have a lot of flying to do, things break, that's sort of the reason to test isn't it?
I see your on the computer as well in the morning, aren't the pigs hungry?
So you know where I work and I still don't know where you do, if you do. So where in GA?

HD-Nate
08-27-2003, 12:35
Originally posted by DURA-MAX3:
Some people need to learn the difference between a truck and a pick-up. Yes you can get a Ford with an allison in a TRUCK, but not in the pick-ups... :rolleyes: OMG, you have got to be sheeting me.

Lets see GMC calls my TRUCK a TRUCK, it is licensed as a TRUCK, F*ord calls their F150s - F350

BigDog1
08-27-2003, 12:38
ahpilot
Come on guy! I bet you are even the best pilot where you work! My guess is that you even teach other test pilots how to do it correctly! Perhaps you are even their boss ....Oh B.S. I live 35 miles south east of Albany and am not bothered by a lost aircraft flying over to get directions.

BigDog1
08-27-2003, 12:38
ahpilot
Come on guy! I bet you are even the best pilot where you work! My guess is that you even teach other test pilots how to do it correctly! Perhaps you are even their boss ....Oh B.S. I live 35 miles south east of Albany and am not bothered by a lost aircraft flying over to get directions.

sonofagun
08-27-2003, 13:11
BigDog1,

You should buy the Duramax or wait until Fo#d gets the bugs out. I bot an early 2001 GMC and had virtually no trouble with it. Why can't For# do as well with a new truck? I have a '04 3500 on order and expect it to be even better than my 2500.

As to the assault on a64, let me 'splain somethin' to ya. I See over 700 posts from our Apache driver and 12 from you. a64 has had a lot of good posts on this site and I've never detected anything negative or untruthful in them.
I like the Diesel Page because it doesn't USUALLY have personal attacks in it. There have been a few noted exceptions and they usually come when someone doesn't seem real or honest. If someone questions a newbies posts just prove up, that's part of being unknown to us. Lighten up and join our group. We share a lot and learn a lot.

Bob

hoot
08-27-2003, 13:14
Easy BigDog.....

We'll start a Broker fest on ya.

a64pilot
08-27-2003, 13:26
Big Dog,
Give me a grid, either Lat/Long or MGRS and I can fly over if you'd like. I'd stay at a high enough altitude that it wouldn't hurt anything. The legal description of your property would provide a lat/long coordinate if you wanted too. Or If you wanted to I could call you when I'm next in Albany if you wanted to see an Apache up close.
I was in Albany on monday this week, refueled at the local FBO and repositioned the Acft. to the Ayers plant. It's no longer the Ayers plant, it's the Thrush plant now. Someone very close to me is part owner now.

BigDog1
08-27-2003, 13:36
ahpilot
Please stop with the pilot stuff! I'll stop in at your gas station for a fillup the next time I pass through your area. You can even wash my windows! If you were for real, you would not be sitting behind that computer of yours all day!

mackin
08-27-2003, 13:59
Boys boys boys .....

There is a Allison in this to
=&gt; http://www.volvotrucks.volvo.com/images/CDA/truck8.jpg

:rolleyes:

Last time I checked this is the 6600 forum for the Duramax diesel for the GM truck .... Strapped to that is a Allison ..... It's competition with'in its GVW does not have a Allison ....I'm Full aware it's used in School buses too,means notta .... :rolleyes:

Have we resorted to trick questions and arguments ....The medium duty forum is a few blocks down ... Geeeezzzz Louise,lets get back on track my fellow Duramax brothers....Who's getting a lift pump ??

Mac smile.gif

sonofagun
08-27-2003, 14:17
BigDog1,

What part of a free view of an Apache helicopter don't you appreciate? a64s last post seemed quite civil so get off it or get gone!!

Bob

chuntag95
08-27-2003, 14:29
BigDog,

Stop acting like an annoying toy poodle. A64 is really a pilot, a good contributor to this page, and liked by most. I know him to be a man of his word, so if he says he will drop by, you can take it as fact.

A64, can you get bullits for the guns. :D :eek: We won't even call the SPCA.

DmaxMaverick
08-27-2003, 17:16
Truck...pickup...

Who cares. Webster makes no mention of size or capacity (truck) Pickup, on the other hand, is a different story. Look it up.

bigDOG1 may have a valid point. He must know, as fact, that pilots never have any time to use a computer. They fly around all the time and rarely ever place their feet on the ground. Boy. I'm glad I'm not a pilot.

SoCalDMAX
08-27-2003, 17:32
OK guys. Here's my solution. You have 2 choices.

Trade phone #s and get together. A64 gives BigDog a NICE ride in the Apache and then you both go out for beers afterwards and talk trash about Fords, Dodges and Air Force pilots. All easy targets.

Your alternative is Mac and Sdaver stopping by to party and blow tire smoke all night long. See, you really have no choice. ;)

C'mon, you both like Dmaxes. What's more fun than a ride in an Apache? Then you guys can take a ride over to the farm and you can show him your spread (from a respectful height, of course.) I'm serious, that would be a LOT of fun.

Regards, Steve

sdaver
08-27-2003, 17:38
http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL59/718709/1218122/32668194.jpg

equals

http://pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL59/718709/1218122/32509309.jpg

a64
trolls and yapping dogs are always in season
no limit :D

SoCalDMAX
08-27-2003, 18:33
C'mon guys, no name calling.

I'm trying to get all you AL guys to get together for a nice helo ride. Talk about a get together!

Just DON'T let Dave fly the Apache! Please! :eek:

Regards, Steve

sdaver
08-27-2003, 18:40
I know I know............topic moved to 2500/3500 trucks & drivetrain .........a64 Ill look you up........and we will head to albenny as they say......... :D

mackin
08-27-2003, 19:03
Originally posted by SoCalDMAX:
C'mon guys, no name calling.

I'm trying to get all you AL guys to get together for a nice helo ride. Talk about a get together!

Just DON'T let Dave fly the Apache! Please! :eek:

Regards, Steve I don't think Dave will fit in a Apache ......

Mac http://www.turbodieselregister.com/ubb/hihi.gif http://www.turbodieselregister.com/ubb/hihi.gif http://www.turbodieselregister.com/ubb/hihi.gif

mdrag
08-27-2003, 19:19
BigDog1,

I suggest that you take the time to review the membership agreement. To do this, log out and then choose the REGISTER link.

This passage is worth reading:

"You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this BB to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or violates any other law. You agree not to post any copyrighted material unless the copyright is owned by you or you have permission from TheDieselPage.com.'You've got my attention.