PDA

View Full Version : Breakin changes

ColoradoSpringsToDaMAX
08-25-2003, 12:12
I just got back from a 3000 mile trip, of which about 2500 was with a 6000 lb trailer. I live in Colorado Springs (elevation about 6000 ft.), and notice on semi-hard acceleration (like merging onto the freeway), as the turbo really kicks in a fairly noticable burst of black smoke. It is totally stock, and now has 4600 miles on it. Is this normal as it breaks in more? Before I left for my trip it was much less noticable. The truck performs great, and seems to be getting stronger by the day. tongue.gif tongue.gif tongue.gif Just curious.

Thanks, John

ColoradoSpringsToDaMAX
08-27-2003, 11:21
OK, let me re-phrase this. To those that live at higher altitudes and are running unmodified, how much smokes does your DMAX blow during moderate to hard acceleration?

a64pilot
08-27-2003, 11:59
I don't know if this helps, but at lower altitudes the Dmax smokes very little if any at all. However it is normal to blow a little soot out if you romp on it after not having done so for a while. Of course that's soot and not smoke so it clears up quickly. Black smoke is of course unburned fuel. I would hope that the sensors on the engine would compensate for the altitude as well as the turbo should. It should make sea level power all the way up to the point where the waste gate no longer opens. I don't know where that point is, but as early as it opens it should be at a pretty high altitude.
Maybe you are getting enough miles on it to where there is enough soot in your exh. system to blow some out?

Big Tow
08-27-2003, 12:58
Last summer I pulled 8000lbs up I-70 and through the Eisenhower tunnel, at what 10k ft? My truck was an '01 stock D/A. I really got on it going up the grades and was able to maintain 70mph with that load. I didn't notice much if any smoke until I was past Georgetown (westbound). As I got close to the tunnel she was spittin some black smoke but no big cloud or anything. The truck had about 80k miles on it at the time.

chuntag95
08-27-2003, 13:07
Originally posted by a64pilot:
I would hope that the sensors on the engine would compensate for the altitude as well as the turbo should. There is a barometric pressure sensor on the engine for this exact function. Read about it yesterday.

ColoradoSpringsToDaMAX
08-27-2003, 14:01
Well, it is not a huge cloud or anything....but if I tilt my passenger mirror down I can definately see puffs of black smoke now on acceleration. They do not last long, but are clearly visible. I saw almost no smoke the first 1000 miles. It is probably nothing, but being new to diesel trucks and the DMAX, I don't know what to expect. I guess I will keep an eye on it for a while and see if it gets worse. :eek:

John

Big Tow
08-27-2003, 14:41
Keep an eye on your air filter too. As it becomes more restrictive(dirty) you will likely see more smoke. Doesn't sound like anything out of the ordinary. Don't Juice it or you'll really be paranoid ;)

ColoradoSpringsToDaMAX
08-27-2003, 16:03
As I explained to my wife, this truck is overkill for my needs (5200 lb boat trailer), but I wanted to be prepared for other "toys". The juice looks awful tempting, but I have to figure out a way to get the expenditure past her... :eek: :eek: :eek:

BTW, I guess I am a bit paranoid... being a diesel newbie and all. Hopefully this will pass in a few more months... :D :D

GNPGMC
08-27-2003, 18:12
I live in Longmont just north of denver. I have an 01 Dmax and have not noticed any smoke, however I haven't really paid that much attention. I try to
make a mental note an see if I can see anything.

Probably nothing to worry about.

Greg

ColoradoSpringsToDaMAX
08-27-2003, 18:30
GNPGMC....Thanks, I appreciate it! :D

Colorado Kid
08-28-2003, 10:09
The first time I saw any smoke from mine it was up around Grandby after I'd towed over Berthoud Pass. Then it would blow some dark brown smoke each time I got on it up there.

Back down here at 5,000 feet it only smokes when I'm really on it . . .I think A64 is right, that it is soot, but then again changing the air filter recently did make the smoke disappear.

An observer of the hardest launch I ever made . . . at the starting line of Pull-Off III, a 3,000 rpm clutch drop in 2nd gear :eek: , pulling 10,600# . . . said that it made a "puff" that lasted about 2 seconds at the line, and that he couldn't tell when I shifted by watching, so it doesn't smoke much. That was my second try at the hill, and I'd pulled the 5th wheel to Missoula, so there wasn't much soot in the system.

The observer's recollection of the exhaust smoke coresponds with my recollection that after about 2 seconds I jumped off the fuel so the clutch or flywheel (whichever was slipping) would hook up.

The first launch had been more resonable, but had resulted in a bog out of the hole . . . I thought I'd spin the tires to get the boost up faster on the second attempt but it turned out that the load + the locker gave the tires enough traction to overwhelm the clutch or dual-mass flywheel friction ring. If I pull the hill again I'll be running for top speed only (Ignoring E.T.)and will make a first gear start. . . cause I'll be out of warranty on clutches by then.

bigsky1
08-29-2003, 07:01
John,
I live at 7600ft and cross the Beartooth pass 11000ft just to get to town. This time of the year I pass a lot of tourists so my foot can be in it a lot. I'm totally stock and see no smoke ever unless it is real cold and the engine is warming up.
Steve