PDA

View Full Version : Power "Box" ???s

ih1466
01-07-2004, 10:07
Don't think I am lazy I have read and read the threads about the Edge and others. So what do you think is best for me and maybe there is some I missed? Also if anybody uses one as I wish to how is it working out. Here it goes:
I want it for towing as much as 22k. Most of the time I would be empty or only towing 4 snowmobiles or atvs. Something that I can smoke one of those little brats with fart pipes on a car at a stoplight. Even when I lose a tractor pull I don't want anybody to be able to pass me on a hill while hauling my tractor back home. With the PS and Cummins uping their power I want to be at least equal with my 01 d-max. To me it looks like the Edge would be best. I like the monitoring the tranny that it does. Auto trannys still scare me. Would my empty and light towing mpgs go up or down? I am sure I would have to haul my tractor on the lowest setting. The in cab setting and monitor looks like the way to go also. Yes I did watch trucks on TNN this last Sunday so that is why I have the juice in my head. I am looking for a little extra power, better mpgs, and NOT wrecking my tranny. Thanks any ideas you guys may have. I hate the term been there done that, but that is what I am looking for.

HD-Nate
01-07-2004, 10:46
IMHO I think the Edge/Attitude has the edge here, (pun intended).

It gives you great HP and Torque gains while still protecting the Allison. On the fly switch ability & gauges, so simple to install. My only grip is it does not have a speed limiter remover.

Go with a 4 inch exhaust, tow in Level 2. You can see some of the stuff I haul around by clicking

Kc5khr
01-07-2004, 12:23
HD-Nate,
I noticed in one of your pics, it looked like you had a thermometer sticking in one of your vents. That has been a key accessory in my truck since I got it. Were you having A/C problems too?

Kennedy
01-07-2004, 12:39
HD-Nate sid it all.

Looks like you'll be doing plenty of snowmobile hauling for years to come. I gave up on snow a few years back and bought my Harley, and now have a Sportsman 700 as well...

George Gozelski
01-10-2004, 04:42
The Edge runs great BUT NOT WHEN IT'S RAINING! I'm on my second Edge box now and it still skips, farts, knocks and _(&*^$%@$#^%)(*&*_)(* when driving in the rain!

If I take the box out not a problem, but I miss that launch power, so I put it back in and sometimes it won't skip; for a while............

I can't beieve that I would have the same problem from two different ones! My first box, a 3.6 version, took off like like a rocket, "EXCEPT IN THE RAIN". My second and current box, a 4.6 version, doesn't take off like the 3.6 but "DOES THE SAME THING IN THE RAIN".

I can't believe I am the only guy this happens to. It gets pretty embarassing when you die while going down the road in the rain towing your boat and some guy pulls up with a PSD and asks if I'd like my boat towed by a real truck!

I am happy with the overall performance of the Edge product, "BUT NOT WHEN DRIVING IN THE RAIN"! :(

ACCRASH
01-10-2004, 07:01
Been running Edge products for a year and a half now with no problems whatsoever. Juice about half the time and Hot Juice the other half. No problems in rain other than excessive tire slippage. :D I would highly reccomend the Juice and also reccomend John Kennedy as the source. It's amazing what that little box can do for a 7000lb. vehicle.

Chuck

Sneaks
01-10-2004, 08:05
I'm also towing with the Edge/Attitude, experiencing zero problems and 100% satisfaction.

Christmas day towed from San Diego to the SF bay area in a driving rainstorm with 25 mph headwinds up the central valley - snug, warm, and glitch free.

Coming back, it took the Grapevine Grade in stride, never dropping out of cruise control though it did drop out of overdrive part way up the grade. :D :D :D

I have heard that the windshield wiper circuit (motor or controller) does cause problems with a few Edge users, but that's likely interference caused by a defective wiper unit.

Kennedy
01-10-2004, 08:24
Sorry to say, the rain issue is more of a truck related issue. I believe Houstondmax (Mel) replacerd part of the wiper system and cured his ails...

HoustonDMax
01-12-2004, 10:17
JK is correct. Replacement of wiper control module, located under cowl, seems to have solved my problem. "Worked" with Edge on the problem for well over a year. Multiple Juice modules, multiple programs. As I said, Edge worked with me on this, and they know what the solution is!

HD-Nate
01-13-2004, 07:56
Originally posted by Kc5khr:
HD-Nate,
I noticed in one of your pics, it looked like you had a thermometer sticking in one of your vents. That has been a key accessory in my truck since I got it. Were you having A/C problems too? KC5khr, sorry for the late response...

No, I have always had the thermometer in the vent on all my trucks. It lets me check Cab temp. with/or without the windshield sun blocker, how fast the Cab is cooling down, etc, etc.

All that important stuff tongue.gif

NETMINDER
01-13-2004, 09:56
Runnig Edge with juice for 6 months now - can't go wrong great power awsome gauges...

George Gozelski
01-17-2004, 07:47
Hey Kennedy, I hate to disagree with you about the Edge box and it "dying in the rain" as a wiper issue. How come the truck runs just fine without the Edge, never having problems in the rain.

Then again, you guys don't know what rain is. I'm talking about REAL rain, Southeast Alaska type rain, 80 to 100 inches a year.

It doesn't happen all the time in the rain, just when it's REALLY coming down!

Kennedy
01-17-2004, 08:28
Originally posted by George Gozelski:
Hey Kennedy, I hate to disagree with you about the Edge box and it "dying in the rain" as a wiper issue. How come the truck runs just fine without the Edge, never having problems in the rain.

Then again, you guys don't know what rain is. I'm talking about REAL rain, Southeast Alaska type rain, 80 to 100 inches a year.

It doesn't happen all the time in the rain, just when it's REALLY coming down! Yet it runs fine in 99 (or better) of 100 trucks in the rain with the wipers on. If you somehow received 2 boxes that did the same thing, well think about it. Yes, there is an occasional issue, and HoustonDmax found that by replacing the wiper module, his issue went away. Sounds like electrical interference or "noisy" componentry in the electronics of the wiper module.

gene smith
01-17-2004, 08:42
Bully Dog
Was wondering if anyone is running the power pup and how it is doing. any change in engine noise, smoke etc.
Geno

FullPull
01-17-2004, 21:12
I rode in a truck this week with a TTS Flip Chip in it. It was awesome, I am leaning that way.

FP

JEBar
01-18-2004, 03:46
have been running Juice boxes on my 3500 for over 40,000 miles .. have been running a Hot Juice unit for something over the last 10,000 miles .. zero engine/transmission issues ... have found that running in Level 1 when towing a very heavy 33' trailer provides excellent Allison friendly power/torque ... am sure there are other good units on the market but have no experience with them

Jim