PDA

View Full Version : Stress tested my truck today!

SMOKIN DEEZUL
11-10-2002, 22:10
Well I tried a borrowed van aaken box today at the KC Dyno day and well just out front in the stret it huffed the turbo at about 30 LBS of boost it was a 100HP box so needless to say with 2K on the ODO its gonna be a rough time. Oh well Back to the drawing board!

sally
11-11-2002, 05:10
Hay Greg, Sorry to here about your truck. My son took my truck an tested it with a 70hp box that I borrowed from another DP member. I have not seen the dyno chart yet, but my son said it made 245hp stock, 274hp on the 35hp setting, and 305hp on the 70hp setting. Before I had the factory reprogram done the truck ran almost as well stock as it does now on the 35hp setting. When my son e-mails the chart to me I will try to post it. Thanks for arranging the event my son really injoyed watching trucks run making over 600hp.

01 Duramax 6speed ZF 4x4

hoot
11-11-2002, 06:37
What does "huffed the turbo" mean? My truck, with lp and Amsoil filter has never seen over 25 psi boost but will dyno well over 300 RWHP.

[ 11-11-2002: Message edited by: hoot ]</p>

Toddster
11-11-2002, 07:13
Deez, that Accel pedal mod will huff that turbo every time man ! LOL ! Hey, how bout a list of mods and results ? :eek:

SMOKIN DEEZUL
11-11-2002, 08:46
Huffed means Blown up it squalled really loud then the made some grinding noises then the truck wouldnt pull itself I think it blew the impeller off or broke the shaft in the turbo. Umm the mods were posted I borrowed a Van Aaken box and went out in the street to see if it made a difference it did for 600 feet.Umm As far as dyno participants goes we had oh I would say 11 Dodges Dyno 5 Fords and 2 Duramax's. I didnt get to stay to see the duramax trucks run I had to bowl the day started off a 1 and a half late due to some Dyno problems the brake wouldnt work. Not anyones fault just typical stuff that happens. Sounds like the Dmax did pretty well I didnt get to see Craig's Dmax run I wanted too he felt really bad about my truck. I am worried I was planning on doing some mods as far as power goes but now I know to put my money on the Race car.

Greg

[ 11-11-2002: Message edited by: SMOKIN DEEZUL ]</p>

hoot
11-11-2002, 09:12
Well that's the first I heard of a turbo going on a Dmax with performance mods. I think you had a bad one. Many of us beat the crap out of these trucks and never had any turbo problems whatsoever.

I think your turbo would have gone sooner or later wether you modded your truck or not.

Turbo Al
11-11-2002, 12:21
I tend to agree with Hoot, My 1993 turbo has done double duty for 125,000 miles and not a peep out of it.
Turbo Al

SMOKIN DEEZUL
11-11-2002, 14:32
I agree hoot! I had the truck in the dealership for a oil smell of course No Trouble Found a month later this happened I am just Discouraged the guy I borrowed the box from couldnt understand how it happened because he has had this box on like 4 or 5 other trucks and mines the one that broke. Go Figure! I think the truck had problem it never felt right I always thought it was underpowered I mean a Stock PSD would leave me a truck or so in a 1/4 mile race.

Greg

01F350SRW
11-11-2002, 15:23
A good time for me to ask the question, can we put a larger turbo on these trucks???? All the Ford and Dodges you can, whatta bout the DMAX? I would love to hear a louder turbo and see some more boost as well. Whatta bout mods to the current turbo?? Can anything be done to it to help it out?

TXDMAX
11-11-2002, 15:46
Well sorry to hear about your problem. My turbo went out also right around 7k miles right before I bought it (GM demo). Still continued to purchase it and haven't had a problem since, 29k now and still going strong

hoot
11-11-2002, 17:16
John Kennedy is doing some research on modified turbochargers.

Oongawah
11-11-2002, 20:40
SD,

Maybe that oil smell was a leak that created a loss of oil to the turbo? Let us know if the power is better with the new turbo. Sorry about your temporary set back. Take care, Chuck.

mtomac
11-11-2002, 20:46
A couple weeks ago I saw a new IHI turbo for a duramax for sale on ebay. Maybe it didn't sell and he'll put up again.