PDA

View Full Version : Major Fuel Leak

rberner
11-10-2002, 00:28
Well this is the first problem I have had with my 2002 DM. The other day as I was getting almost home I smelled diesel fuel at a stop light when I pulled into my drive I got out and fuel was running onto the driveway off the back of the engine. The whole underbody and back of the truck was soaked with fuel.
I drove it about 5miles to the dealer. For once I had a problem what was not hard to see. They were going to keep it for a couple of days as it was Fri afternoon. But he said he would have someone look at it quick. While I was waiting for the curtesy van to take me home they fixed it.

It was a fitting on the fuel rail had come loose. It's funny it didn't leak at all and then all of a sudden it just poured out. Anyway they tightened it and all is well for now.

I talked to my salesman and he said they have had about 5 trucks with the same problem, and some of them they had to change the fittings due to certain ones by a manufacture causing problems.

I sure am glad it didn't happen when I was in Central America out in the boonies.

Got 29,000 miles on it now. and all is well except for the little loping when cold. :rolleyes:

hickcox
11-10-2002, 09:33
You do realize that the spilled diesel fuel splashed all over underneath your truck probably dissolved the waxly undercoating under there.

It's my understanding that's why they suggest you place a large plastic baggie under your fuel filter when you change it,....You may want to take a look under there.

rberner
11-10-2002, 09:43
Hickcox

If you are referring to the wax coating on the frame I'll check it. However I pressure washed it as soon as it was fixed so it was only on about an hour.
I'll check it to make sure though.

Thanks

TooMuchMuscle
11-10-2002, 13:19
rberner... I had diesel spill all under my truck and in only 1 hour the paint/undercoating started to come off. You dont want a new truck with an old undercarriage.